Prediction 2024 - Best 23 + Emergencies - Rolling

Remove this Banner Ad

A bit of a pipe dream considering it'll never happen but reckon our best 23 (or 24) has become obvious.

B: Newman Weitering McGovern
HB: Saad Marchbank Williams
C: Acres Cripps Docherty
HF: Fogarty McKay E.Hollands
F: Motlop Curnow Martin
OB: Pittonett Cerra Walsh
IC: Boyd Hewett Cotrell Owies
Sub: Kennedy

Very very unlucky (hence best 24): TDK (He's a gun but our clearance game is just so much better with Pittonett in the team and there are better forwards).

Weakest Position Marchbank: We need to upgrade this spot and find someone more durable asap

A bit of a pipe dream considering it'll never happen but reckon our best 23 (or 24) has become obvious.

Very very unlucky (hence best 24): TDK (He's a gun but our clearance game is just so much better with Pittonett in the team and there are better forwards).

Weakest Position Marchbank: We need to upgrade this spot and find someone more durable asap
Like it. Particularly the ruck setup.

I'd look at swapping Pitto with TDK week to week. I too prefer Mckay as backup ruck like Daniher to allow us extra defence on turnover footy.

I feel our backline is made up of interceptors and qtr backs with no one being strong body one-on-one except Weitering. For balance, i'd personally opt for Cincotta or Cowan (whichever is in best form at the time) in place of Newman. Newman is slow/weak defensively when you notice how fast/powerful small opposition fwds are. We lose Newmans inside 50 kick but i think the defensive benefits offset that. Boyd, Williams, Saad, Mcgovern can all provide Newman's kick.

I personally think JSoS makes the side over Owies for utility. Cottrell, Motlop, Fogarty, Martin can represent the small forwards well enough. We are a stupid side so JSoS adds better decision making on positioning.

TDK is in our best team without doubt.
Pitto has been solid, but only one win since he has been back, yes he helps in some aspects, but the extra mobility by going with TDk and Mckay also has some upside.

Get this side on the park and we can win it all:

B: Boyd Durdin McGovern
HB: Cincotta Weitering Saad
C: Acres Cripps Williams
HF: E.Hollands McKay Motlop
F: Martin TDK Charlie
Foll: Pittonet Kennedy Walsh
Int: Newman Cerra Hewett Owies
Sub: Cuningham/Cottrell

Williams up onto Wing
More run
Not convinced on 2 ruck situation?
Defence has run and good ball use
Multiple goal kicking options

I wanted to hold off on raising this until we had a big enough sample size, but I think we've reached that point now.

I know he's in career best form, but I just can't see Pitto in our best 23 if we're really going to make an impact this season. For me, I view him as a high level back up to TDK and someone we can bring in against teams like Melbourne/Fremantle that require more help in the ruck department. This isn't about him personally but rather is an assessment of team structure when he's in the side. The TL;DR of this is we should play TDK and Harry in the ruck from now on.

We are a team that lacks natural pace across the park. This means that we need to fit in as many of our quick/endurance types as possible each week to make up for it. Otherwise we struggle in what I believe are the most important factors of the modern game: applying pressure and both phases on transition. We did this well across the first 4 games of the season by playing TDK and Harry in the ruck. From memory we were ranked 3rd in the comp on transition by Champion Data during that time and we had won every game.

Since we have brought Pitto into the team our lack of pace around the ground is getting exposed badly. We can't defend or score well enough on turnover. We can't apply adequate pressure around clearance or the rest of the ground. Another point to consider is that TDK and Harry's form have gone down since changing their roles. Quite simply, we aren't able to compete with the best teams when we have this many tall players in the side. We're 2-4 and have dropped out of the 8 for the first time this season. I don't have the data to know if we're winning clearances or hit outs across the six games Pitto has been in the team. However, even if we are I don't believe that winning in those stats will lead to winning games. History shows that you need to be top 3 in the league in turnover to win the flag and we can't do that with the team structure as it is right now.

I wanted to hold off on raising this until we had a big enough sample size, but I think we've reached that point now.

I know he's in career best form, but I just can't see Pitto in our best 23 if we're really going to make an impact this season. For me, I view him as a high level back up to TDK and someone we can bring in against teams like Melbourne/Fremantle that require more help in the ruck department. This isn't about him personally but rather is an assessment of team structure when he's in the side. The TL;DR of this is we should play TDK and Harry in the ruck from now on.

We are a team that lacks natural pace across the park. This means that we need to fit in as many of our quick/endurance types as possible each week to make up for it. Otherwise we struggle in what I believe are the most important factors of the modern game: applying pressure and both phases on transition. We did this well across the first 4 games of the season by playing TDK and Harry in the ruck. From memory we were ranked 3rd in the comp on transition by Champion Data during that time and we had won every game.

Since we have brought Pitto into the team our lack of pace around the ground is getting exposed badly. We can't defend or score well enough on turnover. We can't apply adequate pressure around clearance or the rest of the ground. Another point to consider is that TDK and Harry's form have gone down since changing their roles. Quite simply, we aren't able to compete with the best teams when we have this many tall players in the side. We're 2-4 and have dropped out of the 8 for the first time this season. I don't have the data to know if we're winning clearances or hit outs across the six games Pitto has been in the team. However, even if we are I don't believe that winning in those stats will lead to winning games. History shows that you need to be top 3 in the league in turnover to win the flag and we can't do that with the team structure as it is right now.
No other team in the comp could cover the loss in player stocks we are currently experiencing....

Saad missing from the backline is massive, ditto that Williams has lost his mojo....

Think it's impossible to really gauge things like Pitto or TDK when so many are missing....

Picking best 23 is always difficult as those last 6 spots is just opinion or preference, as well as a player's primary starting position

Most would have the same ish 16 players, then another 12 or so in contention for 6 spots

What has always be clear, is everyone of our injury prone players are in that list of 28 players, most in best 23

Continuity is gold in team sport, so we need to replace the majority of these types end of year, remaining end of 2025

Get this side on the park and we can win it all:

B: Boyd Durdin McGovern
HB: Cincotta Weitering Saad
C: Acres Cripps Williams
HF: E.Hollands McKay Motlop
F: Martin TDK Charlie
Int: Newman Cerra Hewett Owies
Sub: Cuningham/Cottrell

Williams up onto Wing
B: Newman Weitering Kemp
HB: Boyd McGovern Saad
C: Cincotta Cripps Acres
HF: Cerra McKay Williams
F: Motlop Charlie Owies
Int: Cowan Elijah TDK Fogarty
Sub: Hewett

Don’t think Williams has the endurance to play wing. May be worth persevering at HF, especially if he can produce that tackling effort on Blakey and also kick goals.

If Martin is fit he’d be in the 22, but I’m starting to resign to the possibility his body may not be resilient enough when we need him.

The MC would probably prefer Hewett over Cowan. However I’ve opted for Cowan who can bring some physically and run which we need, with Cottrell out.

Of the highlighted players out, Saad and Cerra will make a huge difference. Fogarty and Motlop should come in and would contribute more to the team than Fantasia and Corey.

1716362730537.png

Defence: Weitering/McGovern/Kemp matchup fairly well against most tall forward set up in the competition. I personally don't think we need a proper lockdown key defender alongside Weitering. Saad, Newman and Boyd will be our main distributors off HB with Cincotta showing himself to be a really good small lockdown defender.

Midfield: Kind of picks itself in my opinion - Walsh and Cerra need to be at as many CBAs as possible with Cripps/Hewett complementing them with more inside-suited games. Fogarty and E.Hollands should also be getting some significant midfield rotations. Kennedy as the sub adds another.

Ruck: Just gone with the one ruck and McKay to help out. I really like Pittonet and think he has probably been the better ruck this season but long term I do think one ruck is the way to go. TDK having the versatility to go forward puts him just ahead imo.

Forward: Two key forwards pick themselves and I have gone with Jack Martin as the #3 option - however given his injury history it could also be JSOS. In terms of smalls I think Motlop and Fogarty are the ideal combination - Motlop can find the goals and Fogarty is really important for forward pressure and also adding to midfield rotations. E.Hollands/Cottrell round out the forward line quite nicely and add a bit of versatility with Hollands able to go into the midfield and Cottrell able to push to the wing if we want Doc on ball.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back