Coach 2024 Coaching Structure – McQualter replacing Yze

Remove this Banner Ad

With Yze gone, Stafford and Choco both apparently re-signed, and Chaplin rising in the ranks, what do we think our coaching lineup will look like next year? Who are the best options to come in and what roles should change?

For mine, I'd be keen to see Stafford move to being a ruck/stoppages coach, Chaplin to midfield/strategy, Choco maybe forward line coach (incorporating goal kicking), and then recruit for backline coach. Although that all depends on who is available and what their strengths are. Forward line obviously the biggest need, but strategy will be a crucial one as well IMO.

Who can we get? What moves can we make?
We really re-signed Stafford? That's crazy.

I agree with moving Stafford to stoppage/ruck if we can't sack him.

I don't know enough about anything but why not throw a bunch of cash at someone like Matthew Lloyd to be our forward coach?

Well done to Yze for picking up a senior gig, will at last force a change. I'd love to see Stafford go back to ruck coach and bring in new blood for forward/mids, doubt it will happen though.

I’m yet to be convinced Choco has anything to do with Gawns kicking for goal routine.
The only player who has improved in that area is Oliver, who gets about one shot every 5 games

With Yze gone, Stafford and Choco both apparently re-signed, and Chaplin rising in the ranks, what do we think our coaching lineup will look like next year? Who are the best options to come in and what roles should change?

For mine, I'd be keen to see Stafford move to being a ruck/stoppages coach, Chaplin to midfield/strategy, Choco maybe forward line coach (incorporating goal kicking), and then recruit for backline coach. Although that all depends on who is available and what their strengths are. Forward line obviously the biggest need, but strategy will be a crucial one as well IMO.

Who can we get? What moves can we make?
The Chaplin and Stafford moves sound like good ideas. I don't know what Choco would be like as a forwards coach, but we could certainly improve our goal kicking.

I'd be reluctant to move Chaplin, personally. Our defensive structure is the one thing that's still been spot on over the last two seasons.

Hope the midfield coach/senior assistant role is filled by someone external with strong experience who won't just 'fall into line'.

I'd be reluctant to move Chaplin, personally. Our defensive structure is the one thing that's still been spot on over the last two seasons.

Hope the midfield coach/senior assistant role is filled by someone external with strong experience who won't just 'fall into line'.

I just have a feeling that given Chaplin is very much a senior coach in waiting he'll be looking for a different aspect to his development soon, and I'd rather keep him and move him to a midfield role than have him go to Casey or another club.

The Chaplin and Stafford moves sound like good ideas. I don't know what Choco would be like as a forwards coach, but we could certainly improve our goal kicking.

He was already goal kicking coach this year, and fair to say that area was up and down, but maybe incorporating it more with the actual forward line coaching could help? No idea though.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Would love to know how these things are actually judged.

Development Coach of the Year

The Development Coach of the Year has been reintroduced in 2022 for the first time since 2013. It is awarded based on input from both players and coaches, on a 50-50 basis. Coaches are asked to rate development coaches at their club, based on their overall performance this year, allocating each a score out of 10 (10 being the highest) and then obtaining an average. This is matched by an average score out of 10 from their playing group to determine an overall score.

Awards - AFL Coaches Association

Development Coach of the Year

The Development Coach of the Year has been reintroduced in 2022 for the first time since 2013. It is awarded based on input from both players and coaches, on a 50-50 basis. Coaches are asked to rate development coaches at their club, based on their overall performance this year, allocating each a score out of 10 (10 being the highest) and then obtaining an average. This is matched by an average score out of 10 from their playing group to determine an overall score.

Awards - AFL Coaches Association
So he got it because we rate him so highly internally? Would be taking that award with a grain of salt.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back