List Mgmt. 2024 Draft & Trade Hypotheticals

Remove this Banner Ad

He walked out on the Swans and left us with nothing in return.

Besides that why pick up a 30+ year old when you could give a younger player the chance?
To be fair to Membrey, your 2nd sentence informs as to why he left in the first place. There didn't look like being a spot any time soon.

If he’d hung in a little longer he would have had his chance. Anyway he’s had a solid career at the Saints for limited finals action.
I think we demonstrated that we'd continue to play out of form veterans than give him opportunities (which he probably deserved). It could have been more than a year, he wasn't to know.

Anyway, I don't know why we'd get him back at this point, I just don't think it was as clear cut when he left.

Whats wrong with him?

If Hayward left it wouldnt be the "WORST" option unless he is completely broken
Injuries and life issues. He has been a fine player but reckon this is his last year.

Looks like most of the Norf board has already written Phillips off, a potential delisting indeed. I think some other Vic club will take a flyer on him first though.

The Norf Board has written off 90% of their list.

Phillips has had a tough run at a miserable club. Can see him doing well at the Cats or Tiggers.

Looks like most of the Norf board has already written Phillips off, a potential delisting indeed. I think some other Vic club will take a flyer on him first though.
I would steer clear, unless as you say we can get him for cheap as a DFA where he'd basically be a free hit.

He was a very talented junior but he couldn't have asked for tougher development years if he tried. Had two whole years written off without any footy (his U18s year due to COVID, and 2022 due to glandular fever) and has had other injuries in between whilst playing for statistically one of the worst teams in V/AFL history.

Developmentally I would say he's gotta come from a long way back now.

Always thought Perryman would fit in with us so interesting we're linked
I think he is a good player.

But the opportunity for us was probably last time he was out of contract when GWS had salary cap issues.

Now he will have a lot of interest, including from desperate teams in SA and if he moves then someone will probably be overpaying him to do that.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think we demonstrated that we'd continue to play out of form veterans than give him opportunities (which he probably deserved). It could have been more than a year, he wasn't to know.

I just don't think it was as clear cut when he left.
We were selecting Adam Goodes in front of Membrey.
By the time he left Membrey had played a grand total of 1 game in 2 years.
Adam had a few more runs on the board.

In his first year year (2015) at the Saints Membrey played 12 games , Adam played 21 (incl 2 finals) for us.

We lost in the 1st SF that year.
In the previous 3 years we had won the Premiership, finished 4th and lost in the GF.

Membrey wanted to leave, so be it, we didn't force him out. But no one will ever convince me that retaining and playing Adam in 2015, ahead of Mmebrey, when we were still in the 'window' was a poor choice.

FWIW a comparison of their 2015 seasons;

Screenshot 2024-05-01 at 20-13-54 Adam Goodes and Tim Membrey AFL Stats Comparison.png

FWIW in the 2015 finals Adam was one of our best players, averaging 21 disposals, 8 marks, 3 tackles and a goal per game.

And before I go, as Tim and Tom, always seem to be lumped together as an example of poor list management and not giving young blokes a go.....................Tom Mitchell played all 26 games in his final season at the Swans.

Last edited:
We were selecting Adam Goodes in front of Membrey.
By the time he left Membrey had played a grand total of 1 game in 2 years.
Adam had a few more runs on the board.

In his first year year (2015) at the Saints Membrey played 12 games , Adam played 21 (incl 2 finals).

We lost in the 1st SF that year.
In the previous 3 years we had won the Premiership, finished 4th and lost GF.

Membrey wanted to leave, so be it, we didn't force him out. But no one will ever convince me that retaining and playing Adam in 2015, ahead of Mmebrey, when we were still in the 'window' was a poor choice.

FWIW a comparison of their 2015 seasons;

View attachment 1976190

In the finals Adam was one of our best players, averaging 21 disposals, 8 marks, 3 tackles and a goal per game.

And before I go, as Tim and Tom, always seem to be lumped together as an example of poor list management and not giving young blokes a go.....................Tom Mitchell played all 26 games in his final season at the Swans.
I'm aware of the games played, Adam's form in finals, that he had runs on the board. None of that is relevant / changes that there were points (prior to 2015) where I think we should have made selections, probably temporary, based on form. It may have yielded different results. We didn't force Membrey out, yes it was his choice. Didn't say otherwise.

Anyway, I only bring it up because I felt that a former player was being unfairly characterised.

I don't think we'd be remotely interested in going back to Membrey though.

Mitchell leaving had nothing to do with list management, not being played, yes.

I'm aware of the games played, Adam's form in finals, that he had runs on the board. None of that is relevant / changes that there were points (prior to 2015) where I think we should have made selections, probably temporary, based on form. It may have yielded different results. We didn't force Membrey out, yes it was his choice. Didn't say otherwise.

Anyway, I only bring it up because I felt that a former player was being unfairly characterised.

I don't think we'd be remotely interested in going back to Membrey though.

Mitchell leaving had nothing to do with list management, not being played, yes.
[re: Mitchell] And poor attitude as to doing what is required as a team member and developing in areas required rather than expecting to be played just because you think you are good enough.

Always thought Perryman would fit in with us so interesting we're linked

Only slight thing I have with Perryman (and I like him by the way) is what's his actual position? If he's the Hayward replacement why not just keep Hayward it's not as if Hayward is any cheaper- and I don't rate Hayward a lot on output. Where is he fitting? Surely isn't as a midfielder and we already have a midfield that bats 10 deep with blokes like Sheldrick not in the side for starters. Is he the Rampe replacement no idea

Will not shock me if Collingwood have a go at him, within reason. Be the sort of club he would flourish and would replace Mitchell for one. I doubt we'd be interested.

If we were to pay market/fair value for all our players then we would breach the salary cap. We have to pay unders to some players or look for players that can have an acceptable output a lower price. IMO Hayward fits that option but I'd be hesitant losing Florent based on his recent form, it feels like he's starting to elevate his game to another level.

If we were to pay market/fair value for all our players then we would breach the salary cap. We have to pay unders to some players or look for players that can have an acceptable output a lower price. IMO Hayward fits that option but I'd be hesitant losing Florent based on his recent form, it feels like he's starting to elevate his game to another level.

No way am I wanting to lose Florent if pushed and I have to choose between the two give me Florent and it's not even close. The so called "quarterback" position in AFL now is close to the most critical on the field. You don't have one there's a huge problem. All the contending sides have this position, look at how dead set awful Brisbane have been once Coleman went.

As a straight bloke I generally don't make it a habit to look at footballers' arms, but on Twitter this morning I saw a few photos of some Swans players from the game on the weekend, including Florent, and it was stark to me how much bigger they looked. Some genuine size and muscle on them now. That would have to give them more confidence to play with, especially someone like Florent who has mostly been more of a lean, outside player. He is one who would be feeling like less of a boy amongst men this year.

The link to Harry Perryman as a "watch" is interesting

EDIT: Clip from show

Has 5 year offer from the Giants, but is more likely to go than to stay

He has 5 years in front of him from the Giants, so unlikely to be about the contract. Giants are right in it so it can't be about premiership aspirations.
Maybe a personality clash?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back