List Mgmt. 2024 Draft & Trade Hypotheticals

Remove this Banner Ad

I'm a bit confused here. Are you saying that we should be developing them in the seniors before they have finished developing in the reserves?

Yep, and we need our reserves to be AFL ready not some tall defenders who are purely and simply kids. If McCartin goes does, can we get a backup better than Francis? Maybe we can't but how about we try and get Battle or someone who is? They say no that's fine Francis is solid and does a job. These defenders we have bar Hamiling and Francis are nowhere near ready, and Fox isn't a key.

I don't get excited about any of them untill they start being named in the 'bests' on a semi-regular basis. If they are not, then they are simply VFL-standard. If they are, then it is just possible that they could become AFL-standard. This is why I am not as excited as some others by players like Konstanty, Edwards or Magor yet, as they are currently VFL-standard. Some of them are on a promising development trajectory while others seem to plateau, and that is one of the reasons why we delist a number of them each year - they were all promising at some stage or other. I just hope they can continue progress.
I think you get a much better idea of the players by watching the games rather than looking at the bests.

I dunno how many times they have been named in the bests, but Konstanty and Snell would both be getting games at some other teams.

So you are suggesting we should have 7 KPD that are AFL quality. You do realise that any players that are of better quality than Hamling/Francis playing in the VFL would request a trade because they could:
1. Play AFL at other clubs
2. Make more money playing AFL over VFL

So its basic list management that you have 3-4 AFL quality players 1-2 that are maybes and then 3 or so that are developing. Same thing is happening with our ruck line 1 AFL quality in Grundy. 1 maybe in Ladhams and 2 developing in McAndrew and Green.

I think kpd depth is overstated alot. Yea it's awesome to have tmac, he has some of the best hands in the game, however defence is quickly becoming a systematic requirement rather than individual prowess in 1 v 1s.

If your defensive unit is well drilled, you don't need big name players to succeed. Players need to know how to do efficient handovers, stand in the correct holes at the correct time and position themselves so that it effects the opposing teams entries.

Cats have have had a great defence for years now despite not really having any great one on one defenders. Each player knows their role executes the game plan.

Melican has been a prime example. Doesn't have a whole lot of talent, isn't the most athletic but he hasn't put a foot wrong this year, because he Is well drilled is an absolute professional defender by trade.

This isn't new "news" per se, but tucked into the paragraph on Busslinger is this article, re Konstanty:

The West Australian (Busslinger) is one of only two first-round picks from that season yet to re-sign beyond his standard two-year deal, with Swan Jacob Konstanty, the No.20 pick that season, also remaining out of contract beyond this year.

Konstanty is gathering rival interest as a small forward and also is yet to get in a shot at AFL level with the Swans.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He’s part of the 2025 draft crop, but Wes Walley is absolutely carving up the WAFL colts. Kicked 4 goals in the 1st quarter alone for Subi on the weekend!

He’s in the WA U18 squad - so look out for him at the national champs.

Im calling it early: Wes Walley is in the red & white come 2026.

I note that Jedd Busslinger (ex-WA) is yet to renew at the Dogs and is also yet to debut after a season and 9 rounds. He was a top draft pick #13 and I wonder if anyone knows any reason why we shouldn't be interested? At 196cm (now 198 according to the Dogs) and 82kg in his draft year he might be a little slight but he was drafted as an interceptor.and ball user.
Not sure we would have a spot for him but maybe worth a look?

He’s part of the 2025 draft crop, but Wes Walley is absolutely carving up the WAFL colts. Kicked 4 goals in the 1st quarter alone for Subi on the weekend!

Im calling it early: Wes Walley is in the red & white come

Im calling it early: Wes Walley is in the red & white come 2026.
I can see the headlines after a couple of quiet, low disposal games ... "WHERE'S WALLEY?"

Alot of chatter about how it makes sense for Parker to move on from us. My heart says hell no, my brain says if he can't get back into our side, them it makes sense both from his point of view and the club's.

Personally, I'm backing him in as best 22. I really think the acquisition of Brundy will help his game alot.

getting rid of his contract would be good to open up some $$ elsewhere eg Keep Hayward

I'm getting real nervous about Sheldrick. Clearly he's been injured a fair bit this season but if Parker can't break into this team then it's going to be hard for him to get back in too. Other teams are going to be coming for our depth players and if I'm another club he's top of my list.
Really impressed with him last season when in the firsts so hope we can get him to buy into what we are doing and find a spot for him.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back