List Mgmt. 2024 Draft & Trade Hypotheticals

Remove this Banner Ad

When do we need to make our final list decisions in order to have spot for the MSD? we normally open 1 spot up
Don't think it's going to happen. We literally don't have a need that can be filled in the MSD.

Which makes it a free hit. Draft the best available.

I'd argue we could go with a small and medium forward or a medium defender of one is there. Best 22 we are good but there are gaps in our reserves
It’s not a free hit. There are constraints at play, both salary cap and list size.

The purpose of the MSD is to enable clubs to replenish their list if they have players who can’t play again this year. We’re not one of those clubs in 2024.

The purpose of the MSD is to enable clubs to replenish their list if they have players who can’t play again this year. We’re not one of those clubs in 2024.
It's one of the purposes, but when we picked up McAndrew and for many clubs it's an opportunity to grab a mature age prospect before they go into the rookie draft.

Contract is also minimal, I'd be shocked if we cannot cater for a rookie spot.

We surely know by now whether Arnold will still be on our list. Blokes has had injury after injury and won't be available until the second half of the season.

Why keep him on the list now? We would be better off retiring him and grabbing another kid for a position we lack any depth on

It's one of the purposes, but when we picked up McAndrew and for many clubs it's an opportunity to grab a mature age prospect before they go into the rookie draft.

We surely know by now whether Arnold will still be on our list. Blokes has had injury after injury and won't be available until the second half of the season.

Why keep him on the list now? We would be better off retiring him and grabbing another kid for a position we lack any depth on
I thought Arnold’s last month or so in the VFL last season was very good. We haven’t had a chance to see if he’s capable of sustaining that and improving upon it. If he is, he’s more valuable IMO than the 18th player who went undrafted last year.

If we had one of the first couple of picks it might be a different story. But we don’t.

Swans have integrity.
That is not easily earned. It takes many years of being consistent of how you behave and how you treat players. The players respect the club and have allegiances and loyalty to the club because of the way the club deals fairly and honestly with all the players. He has a contract with the club. The club will rehabilitate him and train him and provide whatever medical and other help he needs to get back on the park. The other players see this consistentcy of player welfare. That is why we have player retention. That is why we have club loyalty. These are the reasons why the Swans can stay at the top of the competition longer than most is because all of the people in the club, players and staff, know that everyone is valued and cared for. Everyone has the maximum chance to reach their potential at the club. And everyone at the club will be supporting them.

You want to take shortcuts and maybe delist someone early on a hunch that there is 3 chances in 10 that we might snatch a bargain at the expense of the Swans integrity.

Your decision undermines all of the Swans values that make us a great club. Unlike most others that take short cuts.

Which makes it a free hit. Draft the best available.

I'd argue we could go with a small and medium forward or a medium defender of one is there. Best 22 we are good but there are gaps in our reserves
But are the players as good as or better than those in the regular draft? As it sits were going to.steuggle to find lost spots at the end of the season assuming no one wants to be traded. We have two first rounders also. Our real needs are KPD depth and small/medium forwards. Are there any available in the MSD that a half decent? Keeping in mind we'll have the last pick too. It just seems pointless to me.

I think it is harsh, if the club does that to Arnold.

I assume Arnold is working towards playing second half of the season. So it would be demoralising if the club forces him to retire. It seems like he has had a back injury this season but is not particularly injury-prone.

I think it is harsh, if the club does that to Arnold.

I assume Arnold is working towards playing second half of the season. So it would be demoralising if the club forces him to retire. It seems like he has had a back injury this season but is not particularly injury-prone.
Yep. Apart from anything else he is contracted. Our only option would be to place him on the LTI list. Come the end of his contract we can offer a new one or not. He can accept or not (as Hamling did). Anything else is waffle.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Just watched some video of Harvey Langford and i really like him both his ST and LT prospects. Huge contested mark forward. From what i can see he is 190cm so would slot in well as a 4th tall within the Swans lineup. But i genuinely think long term he could be a huge midfielder as he loves the contested ball he just needs a couple years of development as he does take a step too many and get caught with the ball alot. I believe projections have him around 20-24 which is where our first pick after bids should fall.

Warner Is close to leaving??
Was close "several years ago" according to the video but he resigned early 2021 so not sure what that's about other than perhaps being a homesick 19 year old after playing just a couple of games in his first year.

I don't think we're going to be outbid for him so it purely comes down to what he wants which is reassuring in a way.

Was close "several years ago" according to the video but he resigned early 2021 so not sure what that's about.
Agree that's what's said in the video. However, it's hard to believe Freo (and probably West Coast too) aren't in the ear of Warner's manager now, trying to lure him home. He's exactly the kind of midfielder to add some dare and spark to the clearance winning abilities of Freo's existing midfield. And can you imagine a West Coast midfield with both Reid and Warner?

I suspect Freo will push the hardest because they have amassed significant draft capital, and they already have a strong base of young talent. They have the cake and need the icing. West Coast have lots of list spots to replenish over the next couple of years and may be less excited about using a lot of draft capital on one player, even one who is both young and proven. They still have to bake the cake (albeit they have the fanciest ingredient in place).

Unfortunately the 3rd Warner didn’t make the WA U/18s & appears a long-shot to be drafted.
Yep Ashton seems to be around the 30th best prospect in WA. So he would be a massive longshot at this point in time but still has 5 months to do something but looks more likely if he comes into the system he will be an over ager

Also he hasn't played in the Colts league for like a month, is he injured?

Unfortunately the 3rd Warner didn’t make the WA U/18s & appears a long-shot to be drafted.

Probably seen a worse idea than take him with a late rookie pick but yeah you are right he’s a mile back from getting drafted

Remove this Banner Ad

Back