List Mgmt. 2024 Father Son watch MKIII. Operation Ashcroft jnr. Featuring various academy boys.

Remove this Banner Ad

Yeah I don't know what the downside to coming here is at worst he can ask for a trade next year and go to exactly which club he wants to land instead of being miserable at North next year and Fagan is great at developing kids.

I genuinely believe this could be future defining. It’s massive if we get him and therefore most likely his brother. We miss out it’s going to hurt a lot.
I was abit in this boat. Then someone brought up the game we didn’t lose to ensure we got Schache. According to some posters, we let a once in a generation chance slip. But it didn’t turn out that way.

I hope to see all the Ashcrofts in Lions colours, but if it doesn’t happen club will survive and go from strength to strength.

the way the club dealt with and supported the Neales through what may have been a fairly difficult time is an indication of the professional way the club operates now.

hopefully the Ashcrofts buy into it.

The bit that jumped out at me was the part about recruiters believing he will nominate.

I strongly believe he will, no proof or inside word, I just think if you look at it, it stacks in our favour.

Reasons to nom
Has lived in QLD most of his life
Steps into an elite system
Getting the most out of himself early along side lachie (massive factor)
Has played/trained with us for 2 years
Dad played here
North most realistic landing point
Security of knowing where you’ll land
98% you’ll play with your Bro/sister

At very worst he’ll come and do an apprenticeship here, while we are going well.

Reasons to not nom…
He enjoys living in Melbourne
Being close to family (who if all 3 kids end up at the Lions would likely move back to brissy anyway)

He will nominate, there’s no reason to rush the decision at this point - he would just want to keep options open.

For example - Luke Jackson ends up at the eagles, Melbourne promise to take him with pick 2 they got in exchange, North pledge not to take him againts his will to avoid another JHF situation, he is now picking between us and Melbourne, not us and eagles/north.

I’d say he just wants to see as much of the ‘lay of the land’ as possible.

PS - Melbourne may also decide they want Wardlaw… many variables, the most likely being, he is a Lion next year.
Caroline Wilson was adamant on Football Classified last night that Jackson would be joining the Dockers and not WCE at all.

As an aside the panel agreed that McStay shouldn't be leaving, wasn't a good look he met with Leppa (I find it interesting that having gone to the reserves on Friday when a lot of the seniors were also there that McStay wasnt there (i may have missed him tho) probably meeting Leppa when that tweet broke) and that they cant see why Pies are even interested let alone paying that money and sighted there list issues previously signing average players to long term deals and that Fagan should meet with McStay Friday after covid and ask him point black and committ to plaiying good footy if he is leaving b/c he is still torn.

Last edited:

Caroline Wilson was adamant on Football Classified last night that Jackson would be joining the Dockers and not WCE at all.

As an aside the panel agreed that McStay shouldn't be leaving, wasn't a good look he met with Leppa (I find it interesting that having gone to the reserves on Friday when a lot of the seniors were also there that McStay wasnt there (i may have missed him tho) probably meeting Leppa when that tweet broke) and that they cant see why Pies are even interested let alone paying that money and sighted there list issues previously signing average players to long term deals and that Fagan should meet with McStay Friday after covid and ask him point black and committ to plaiying good footy if he is leaving b/c he is still torn.
Also Caro was pretty sure that we had only offered a 3 yr contract with an option of a 4th.
And they all thought, particularly Korne, that he was only worth an AFL average contract around the 375k.

Also Caro was pretty sure that we had only offered a 3 yr contract with an option of a 4th.
And they all thought, particularly Korne, that he was only worth an AFL average contract around the 375k.
It’s hard to disagree, he’s in our best 22 and probably in the first 10-15 names picked but wouldn’t be that high based on performance. We won’t be able to this year but next year we really need to try and get a young genuine KPF in with our first pick before our picks get swallowed up again the year after.

It’s hard to disagree, he’s in our best 22 and probably in the first 10-15 names picked but wouldn’t be that high based on performance. We won’t be able to this year but next year we really need to try and get a young genuine KPF in with our first pick before our picks get swallowed up again the year after.
Well let’s face Dan McStay is basically a role player in our team.
The amount he has been offered elsewhere, they want more out of him. It may be good for him or it may be a very bad thing for him. He has said himself, even recently, that he has always struggled with confidence and knowing whether he is good enough. Not particularly sure Collingwood is the place for him, always thought if he was to leave, somewhere like the Bulldogs would have been a better fit.

No worries Martinson. Just feels like I’ve read variations of the same “why are we talking about this” post for months now.

We get it.

But on the whole “dose of reality” thing… the reality is that the prospect of a genuine #1 contending father-son for your club is something that probably comes around once or twice in a lifetime and people are going to talk about it, predict, dissect, evaluate, analyse and enthuse right up to the moment he does or doesn’t nominate. There is no realistic way people are going to be able to keep their hopes and expectations in check just because someone told them to.

It’s like telling a 6 year old to calm down on Christmas Eve.
True.

I'm perfectly happy for people to talk about it till kingdom come. Saying things over and over that are not fact but pure speculation and putting up reasons why as if they can mind read the kid is not my cup of tea.

It's always been fairly simple . When the time comes he'll nominate us as F/S if he has no better options to play out of Melbourne. At this stage we're in with a good shot but who knows what he might be thinking when he actually has to commit fully.

My personal view is to be optimistic but not let down too much if it doesn't go our way. Neale re committing helps us in lots of ways and this is one of them.

True.

I'm perfectly happy for people to talk about it till kingdom come. Saying things over and over that are not fact but pure speculation and putting up reasons why as if they can mind read the kid is not my cup of tea.

It's always been fairly simple . When the time comes he'll nominate us as F/S if he has no better options to play out of Melbourne. At this stage we're in with a good shot but who knows what he might be thinking when he actually has to commit fully.

My personal view is to be optimistic but not let down too much if it doesn't go our way. Neale re committing helps us in lots of ways and this is one of them.

The only type of kid who wouldn't nominate a flag contender over a bottom two club probably has bigger fish to fry than AFL.

Will Ashcroft projects as someone who wants to get the very best out of himself and his career. He has an opportunity to play for a flag contender and join a club who'd have just opened state of the art facility and in a few years time get to play alongside his brother.

The condition? Live a short flight away from his mates.

It's a hard choice really....

I think it probably also helps that we’re a strong side in most acute need of midfielders. He’ll surely want to play wherever he goes and that would now be almost a guarantee with us.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yep totally, I doubt Jackson ends up at the Eagles. It was just an example of one of many things that could eventuate - that would have him thinking ‘the balls entirely in my court, I’ll just wait for as long as possible to see the lay of the land’.

Even waiting to see what Lachie does would have been a factor, him staying was a huge piece of the puzzle I reckon.

Ps on McStay - I think it’s a bad move for him and the Pies.

This article from Marc Murphy has given me a lot of confidence. He's been there and he knows both sides of story so advise coming from him will be most valuable for Ashcroft.
If we get him, Levi coming over in 2024 gives us an automatic extension with Will for another 2 years. Beyond that, its up to the club to make him fall in love with environment, culture etc.
Bringing Marcus over in a admin capacity along with sister getting drafted in AFLW would be the cherry on top. I'm quite confident he's going to nominate - there is lot of positives to our club being his preferred destination.

didn't Nick Daicos play this game last year? At what point in the year did he actually confirm his nomination?

Feel like Ashcroft will be at Brisbane for sure.

Edit: Google tells me that Nick Daicos left Collingwood hanging until late August last year

Last edited:
didn't Nick Daicos play this game last year? At what point in the year did he actually confirm his nomination?

Feel like Ashcroft will be at Brisbane for sure.

End of August after the final home and away round; announced a two year extension on top of his rookie contract at the same time too.

I wonder if this could also be a negotiation tactic by Ashcroft's management to try and get more money on a similar deal to Daicos.

End of August after the final home and away round; announced a two year extension on top of his rookie contract at the same time too.

I wonder if this could also be a negotiation tactic by Ashcroft's management to try and get more money on a similar deal to Daicos.
I think he's in a strong negotiating position whatever he does. We're fairly desperate to get him. Those who think they are some hope via the draft could also be inclined to sweeten it all up and offset us.

We're in the box seat whilst things stay as they are. His dad has been in footy his whole life and knows how important it is to get strong mentorship from the word go . That could be enough as long as nothing changes.

I think he's in a strong negotiating position whatever he does. We're fairly desperate to get him. Those who think they are some hope via the draft could also be inclined to sweeten it all up and offset us.

We're in the box seat whilst things stay as they are. His dad has been in footy his whole life and knows how important it is to get strong mentorship from the word go . That could be enough as long as nothing changes.
He is in a strong negotiation position but that would be mainly management driven, IMO he already has a fair idea of what he’s doing. He would be in the best position to succeed with the Lions and from the outside it would seem that’s first and foremost, I can’t imagine one of the most driven and determined draftees we’ve ever seen put that aside to stay in Vic.

He is in a strong negotiation position but that would be mainly management driven, IMO he already has a fair idea of what he’s doing. He would be in the best position to succeed with the Lions and from the outside it would seem that’s first and foremost, I can’t imagine one of the most driven and determined draftees we’ve ever seen put that aside to stay in Vic.
You'd be surprised how big the pull is for young men to stay in Vic. if they can.

They're not thinking like people in their 40's and beyond.

Long term, obviously Ashcroft...but to win the premiership in 2023/24; one could argue that 2 x 1st rounders could help us achieve that more than Ashcroft as an 18 / 19 year old.

Eg. First Rounder for Griffin Logue, First Rounder for Davies-Uniacke. Both plug into our system immediately and fill immediate needs.

You'd be surprised how big the pull is for young men to stay in Vic. if they can.

They're not thinking like people in their 40's and beyond.
Depends what kind of kid he is, the pull of going interstate and experiencing something new could be just as big. Seems like a very motivated and independent person so any argument for staying in Vic could just as easily be swung to going to QLD where his immediate future and career would be benefited.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back