Fixture 2024 Fixture Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

With the trade/free agency chat rather quiet as far as we're concerned with Koschitzke wanting to come to us and rumours about Soldo wanting out and little else, I thought another topic that might draw some interest in around our potential fixture for next year. Once again we find ourselves with a bottom 6 fixture which could work in our advantage if we can get ourselves up and running early in the season and bank some points.

For those unaware of how the fixture works as a bottom 6 club:

1. Against the top 6 from 2023 we will get a minimum of 1 double up and maximum of 2 double ups
  2. Against the middle 6 from 2023 we will get a minimum of 1 double up and a maximum of 2 double ups.
  3. Against the bottom 6 from 2023 we will get a minimum of 2 double ups and a maximum of 3 double ups.
Top 6 teams - Collingwood Brisbane Carlton GWS Melbourne Port Adelaide
Middle 6 teams - Sydney Saints Bulldogs Crows Essendon Geelong
Bottom 6 teams - Fremantle Gold Coast Hawthorn North WCE

Last Double Ups - Home Game Against Interstate Side
Adelaide: 2018 - Last Home Game 2018
Brisbane: 2021 - Last Home Game 2022
Carlton: 2022
Collingwood: 2019
Essendon: 2022
Fremantle: 2017 Last Home Game 2022(Marvel) 2018(MCG)
Geelong: 2021
Gold Coast: Never - Last Home Game 2023(Marvel) 2016(MCG)
GWS: 2021 - Last Home Game 2022(MCG) 2021(Marvel)
Hawthorn: 2022
Melbourne: 2023
North: 2015
Port: 2023 - Last Home Game 2023(MCG)
Saints: 2023
Sydney: 2023 - Last Home Game 2023(MCG)
WCE: 2023 - Last Home Game 2023(MCG)
Bulldogs: 2023

With all that in mind, what would be your double up wish list and interstate trips in terms of maximizing crowds and win potential?

Keep in mind that there are 6 double ups now with the extra round in Adelaide meaning we play 23 games.

For mine I'd be happy with the following:
Top 6 - Carlton & Collingwood
Middle 6 - Adelaide & Essendon
Bottom 6 - Gold Coast & North

In terms of interstate trips:
Adelaide - Crows away and Gather Round (Port would be handy)
Brisbane
Gold Coast
GWS
West Coast

Top 6- Carlton and Port
Middle 6- Essendon and Geelong
Bottom 6- North, West Coast and Hawthorn (Hopefully we get three)

Interstate
-Freo
-West Coast
-Adelaide
-Port Adelaide
-Gold Coast

Would prefer to avoid trips to the Gabba as brisbane are hard to beat there, gold coast could be as well but we play the ground pretty well. We travel well to WA and SA so would be happy to have interstate games there.

Top 6- Carlton and Port

Interstate
-Freo
-West Coast
-Adelaide
-Port Adelaide
-Gold Coast

Would prefer to avoid trips to the Gabba as brisbane are hard to beat there, gold coast could be as well but we play the ground pretty well. We travel well to WA and SA so would be happy to have interstate games there.
There are only 6 double ups. So if you had to drop a double up which one would you leave out?

Top 6- Carlton and Port

Interstate
-Freo
-West Coast
-Adelaide
-Port Adelaide
-Gold Coast

Hawks would be a double up I'd be wanting to avoid tbh. Would probably be a trip to Tassie, but even at the MCG they're going to be tough as well.

There are only 6 double ups. So if you had to drop a double up which one would you leave out?
Well doubt we'd be lucky to have 3 double ups from the bottom 6, so likely hawthorn but ideally either Port, Geelong or Carlton

Top 6- Carlton and Port

Interstate
-Freo
-West Coast
-Adelaide
-Port Adelaide
-Gold Coast

Good call. That's just about the best case scenario.

Our bottom 6 double ups will be the up and coming teams who are likely to improve, it'll be like the Hawks and Suns.
100% Suns twice

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Last years two GF teams got a 3-2-1 split, i'd expect both coll and Bris to get the same next year so that rules out Brisbane as a double up for us, as Brisbane's one bottom 6 double up is Gold Coast.

I also think the AFL will boot us down to KP next year, don't mind this as it will remove a Marvel away game for us.

So on that basis our away game split should be: MCG 3, KP 1, Interstate 6, Marvel 1.

So my prediction for 2024 will be: MCG 13, Interstate 6, Marvel 2, KP 1, Gather Round 1. ( unless one of our interstate trips is in gather round then it will be IS 5, Marvel 3 )

I think our split will be 2-2-2 as Hawthorns was this year for finishing 13th the year before but so was Collingwood's and Melbourne's split for finishing top 6, gather round has made the fixture more open to manipulation.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back