Discussion 2024 General AFL Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

I’ll be very interested to see if the Round 0 teams gain any early advantage over teams that play their first game in Round 1.

Suns v Adelaide
Melbourne v Dogs
Brisbane v Freo

Watched half the game and turned it off it hurts your eyes 👀

Will watch and go to all Saints games and that’s it

And watch the storm
Finally got the little guy to bed. Thought, you beauty. Can actually watch the entire second half.

Fell asleep at 3/4 time.

Snoozefest

I mean architecturally. It's one of the biggest eyesores in Melbourne. It looks like someone put a giant flat pack shed together drunk and painted it yellow and black. It's got crooked little windows all over the shop. It gives me epilepsy looking at it.
I believe those types of building are referred to as an architecturally visionary in the business 🤣

I believe those types of building are referred to as an architecturally visionary in the business 🤣

I like brutalism and avant garde architecture but FMD it's a monstrosity. It's a Colorbond catastrophe. This is the architects pimped pics.

I like brutalism and avant garde architecture but FMD it's a monstrosity. It's a Colorbond catastrophe. This is the architects pimped pics.

I wonder what the design brief was.
Some designs don't date others should have been left on the drawing board with big red crosses thru them!

I mean architecturally. It's one of the biggest eyesores in Melbourne. It looks like someone put a giant flat pack shed together drunk and painted it yellow and black. It's got crooked little windows all over the shop. It gives me epilepsy looking at it.

The windows remind of those contained in the original architect’s vision for Carlton’s home ground

0QycOkJ.jpeg

It's a weird lead in to footy this year. I hate watching Carlton v Richmond every year but it was the start of the season and then it was away. This stupid staggered start so that the ladder doesn't even mean anything for ages is a stupid idea and it feels like it should still be summer.

I'm much less invested in footy for some reason this year. There seems no hype around it. The AFL seem to think they have to * around with a perfectly good product every year to justify their wages.

I went out so didn't watch it but people talking about it were all saying how shitful the match was. Perhaps there will be a few teams worth watching more than others. I'm looking forward to seeing what Lyon can do second year in and how we use our new pace though.

I think heaps of matches in the first three rounds of every season are shitful spectacles just because the players are so rusty.
It's probably a combination of desperation for the season to start and the last memories being prelims and grand finals that create the let down.
Everyone will be up and about a few days leading into Geelong.

Essendon missing finals again will be very sweet, but there is no excuses for losing to Geelong in Round 1. We should have their measure quite easily.

First win at Kardina Park since 99. Sounds good to me.
What a day that was , don't remember much about it though , i think we were in the Geelong social club that day Dr Spaceman can you confirm as all those trips down there are just a blur

What a day that was , don't remember much about it though , i think we were in the Geelong social club that day Dr Spaceman can you confirm as all those trips down there are just a blur
Here's my full recollection of that truly amazing, unforgettable day:

We won.

We were there.

🍺🍺🍺🍺🍺🍺🍺 > 🧠

Essendon missing finals again will be very sweet, but there is no excuses for losing to Geelong in Round 1. We should have their measure quite easily.

First win at Kardina Park since 99. Sounds good to me.

actually we do have a few excuses.
1. its at their home ground
2. its been revamped. 40k spectators of which say 39k are rabid pussy cats.
3. we have a bunch of injuries thats affecting defence and midfield.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Gags told Billings to explore his options, and once he was done, renegotiated his contact.
The lower contact is the only reason he was able to be moved on subsequently.
What ?

Gaggs gave him 4 years at a touch over $2 million

Tell someone to explore their options and then give 4 years

SOS fixed Gaggs * up

Gags told Billings to explore his options, and once he was done, renegotiated his contact.
The lower contact is the only reason he was able to be moved on subsequently.
“Lower contract”

We are paying for some of it 😂 😂

The only reason Melbourne took him, was on the proviso we contributed to covering some of his deal.

He is on far from peanuts and would be a well paid footballer contributing 3 disposals in 30% game time 😂

Interesting article, game won't be the same and moving in a different direction.

Looking more and more like AFL-X without the Zooper goals.
Exactly the point I as trying to make, you take out all risk and it’s no longer football as we know it. The afl has actually done a lot to remove some of the garbage from the game and imo that was great as it had little or no impact on the game itself. This current hysteria is different as it has the potential to destroy the way the game is played, I for one have no interest in watching modified Gaelic football.

“Lower contract”

We are paying for some of it

The only reason Melbourne took him, was on the proviso we contributed to covering some of his deal.

He is on far from peanuts and would be a well paid footballer contributing 3 disposals in 30% game time
So you reckon a player picked up at pick 3 and already recontracted once, after doing nothing, was given a big contact across 4 years in 2021?
I don't think that's right.
Happy to be corrected if you can show that the 2021 contract was more lucrative than the previous deal.

So you reckon a player picked up at pick 3 and already recontracted once, after doing nothing, was given a big contact across 4 years in 2021?
Happy to be corrected if you can show that the 2021 contract was more lucrative than the previous deal.
Its a fact that we gave him 4 years at a touch over $2mill after telling him to look elsewhere LOL, Yeah great job Gaggs

Only reason the Dees took him is we are paying half of the remaining 2 years

I am pretty sure that Billings was on a huge salary after a couple of good seasons in 2017 and 2019.

Gags renegotiated a longer term deal at a lower rate after his form flattened out and no-one was interested in him.

His form kept on getting worse and then injuries followed, now even his lower rate wasn't worth keeping him on our list.... thus he was offloaded to Melbourne for nothing.

500k a year. Peanuts.

“Given Billings remains contractually tied to Ross Lyon's side until the cessation of 2025, a deal that will reportedly net him within the vicinity of $1 million, St Kilda will be paying a portion of this figure in an effort to move the Oakleigh Chargers product from its roster.”

Last edited:
500k is only just above average salary these days. Absolutely normal salary for a player like Billings.

Exactly the point I as trying to make, you take out all risk and it’s no longer football as we know it. The afl has actually done a lot to remove some of the garbage from the game and imo that was great as it had little or no impact on the game itself. This current hysteria is different as it has the potential to destroy the way the game is played, I for one have no interest in watching modified Gaelic football.

I'm waiting for them to update and release the 2024 docs instead of the amended 2023 ones before strictly commentating on it, but yeah, the general trendlines I've read year upon year is the core rulings for general play has largely gone the right way and it's in the admin side that the "issues" arise of pulling opinions from arseholes and throwing darts, aka enshrining the opinion of those in suits and those in high vis over literally everyone and everything else known to man.

The amendments flagged for this season is as that article indicates as do many others, they are directly impacting the general play instances instead of the ancillory "if you do this, than this happens..." space, so ergo they are changing how the game is to be played, contexualised and actioned. And I am every very concerned.

Now, as we know, I've run a local club, I've spoken to local leagues, I've negotiated contracts, I've really wanted to throw a chair at an umpire and put my foot up his arse for comments made pre a match, but as a big boy in a suit I refrained and used words later. I do not trust anyone at AFL house, they are corrupt, inept and push agenda and nothing they say can change that view, so I do not trust them to amend the fabric of the game and for it to go well. It will not.

So I want to see specifically how they have amended these things, as I know coaches, hell, we hired Libba snr FFS, we have and had comms at AFL level in said local instances, I lived up the road from the Ox as he was a Melbourne player, I had access. These people will look at what is written as they will have these things and their first thought will be "how can I avoid it?", they will look for any way around it so they can just do their thing.

This season starts the potential for the COMMISSION to rubbish the game.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back