Rumour 2024 Hypothetical trade and FA Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Before Bailey Smith as our outside run option!
I would be trying to trade Melbourne for Caleb Windsor!
If you watch his game on the weekend his so explosive and his outside run is already on show but he broke out of 3 or 4 tackles against us which is rare for a 1st year player, wait till he gets bigger he will be so good as both inside and outside mid!!
Trade Reeves as an heir apparent for Gawn and some pick swaps!!
The other is Max Holmes I would be trying to poach from Geelong, if we can trade Worpel and a some pick swaps I would take it!!

Last edited:
Gulden 7 year 10 mill deal. Victorian lad. Time to turn the heat up on the swans as they seem to cherry pick who they want.
Gulden is their next captain, zero chance in Hades that he leaves. He's probably got a nice place near the beach and can likely potter around in complete anonymity, life wouldn't get much better than that

Would be an interesting move to say the least. For all the Sleepy Mark gags (apologies everyone) we've had over the years the club has shown that it's willing to try to be aggressive and pull the trigger on moves - Weddle deal being the obvious example that was completed. We tried to trade this year's first in order to draft O'Sullivan too.

Personally I'd rather we keep our first. I expect it's going to be a top four pick, and as it stands the top three in the draft look like great prospects. Plenty of time for others to announce themselves though so maybe by the end of the season splitting the pick would look like a great option.
I agree and will judge Sleepy on the outcome.

I was VERY excited about Baz before the ACL. A highly talented player that had a bad season - that's how you get a bit of value for an absolute gun.

But a guy who is out of form for a season and THEN does an ACL. Well - I just struggle to get too excited about that and fear that we're going to pay way too much for someone who now has a much lower ceiling than he had before.

Long way to go, but the Dogs won't accept anything less than a first.

If they reject our F1, we'll have to split the pick. Nothing surer.
Dogs list manager seems like a pain to deal with. Give them an inch and they will try and take a mile.

Our F1 is worth more than a later first rounder. Especially if we have a poor year where our first should be off limits.

Would we get anything for these Hawk FA's?

Luke Breust 4th rounder due to age
Blake Hardwick 2nd rounder
Harry Morrison we would have to give the pick for hardwick
Conor Nash 3rd rounder
Cooper Stephens* relief
Chad Wingard* Burton back (wishful thinking only - imagine where would would be now if we didn’t do that trade) in all seriousness nothing

Hugh McCluggage is a RFA. Add him to our midfield just for some of the abundant salary cap space we have and then we've got the flexibility to trade a midfielder from our list to help address KPP needs.

I was VERY excited about Baz before the ACL. A highly talented player that had a bad season - that's how you get a bit of value for an absolute gun.

But a guy who is out of form for a season and THEN does an ACL. Well - I just struggle to get too excited about that and fear that we're going to pay way too much for someone who now has a much lower ceiling than he had before.
Name an afl player that hasn’t come back as good from just 1 acl?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hugh McCluggage is a RFA. Add him to our midfield just for some of the abundant salary cap space we have and then we've got the flexibility to trade a midfielder from our list to help address KPP needs.
He has an unannounced contract extension of something like 7yrs.

Brisbane wasting Hugh McCluggage.

Would be great to have an actual outside player as opposed to inside mids on the wings.

The McCluggage camp has told us before Christmas that he is very much expected to re-sign with Brisbane. We have dropped off.

I think we'll have our usual streak of late season wins and would be expecting our first pick will be between 8 and 12.

I don't know how every year when you look at the indicative draft order GC and GWS always have mutliple first round options, and then doggies and freo and clubs like this seem to have another two as well.

I think our drafting team has done really well with the picks they've had. Even DGB who's been in struggle town since day 1 - it wasn't a particularly strong draft.

For a proper rebuild we need to cash some chips. We were ruthless in cutting O'Meara and Mitchell - but we might need to part ways with someone who is high quality and sought after (that we all love) to get the list structure we need to really challenge.

Note - I'm pretty conservative and personally would not have the guts to pull the trigger a move like this.
I actually agree with you. If you liken our list build to a jigsaw puzzle we have a fair few of the same pieces which will likely have to be traded to get better fitting pieces.

I would totally understand if some of our fanfare get upset having certain players names get floated especially if it’s one of their favourite players but the reality is we can keep things like they are and play players out of position or we can move them on while they still have value or keep playing them out of position where they don’t excel and watch their value plummet.

Keep in mind things are going to get even more congested once Day and Jiath come back which will likely see others get moved out of their best positions too.

We know that drill. We ain't walking him to the PSD.
Of course we won’t, it’s a silly threat. But at the end of the day they have 0 bargaining power, we would be fair but they have no way to strong arm us in to using our first this year.

Call it censorship if you want, but * me it’s going to be a long year if we’re getting into who can we trade for a first round Pick after Round 2 of the season.

Those posts are being deleted because I’m a campaigner who’d rather think about how we build the list with players we can add rather than arguing over what value we put on the head of our youngsters.

Of course we won’t, it’s a silly threat. But at the end of the day they have 0 bargaining power, we would be fair but they have no way to strong arm us in to using our first this year.
The way I see things is that it will come down to where Baz wants to go. If he wants to come to us then we have the $$$ to lure him and if we offer the Dogs a F1 and they reject it then we should just make it known that we will not shift from that offer. If Dogs still want to reject that offer even after a) Baz has nominated us; b) we have offered fair value for a player coming off off a lean couple of years and an ACL;

then by all means yes that is when the threat of walking to the preseason draft should come in. No other team will offer a player 5 year deal that has nominated another club. By no means at all should we re-negotiate our offer just to appease the Dogs when the original offer is fair. If our ladder position was to stay the same then they’d have little to no choice in demanding more.

Brisbane wasting Hugh McCluggage.

Would be great to have an actual outside player as opposed to inside mids on the wings.
Then we should target Cummings and Florent as FA. Both with speed and class and have played finals footy. And not sure either club would put up a real fight as blessed with other options.

Possibly also look at a sinn type from port if can get over his injuries.

Save our first pick and F1 for an elite inside mid or kpf/kpd from the draft.

Call it censorship if you want, but * me it’s going to be a long year if we’re getting into who can we trade for a first round Pick after Round 2 of the season.

Those posts are being deleted because I’m a campaigner who’d rather think about how we build the list with players we can add rather than arguing over what value we put on the head of our youngsters.
Pokie brain aka dopamine has taken over rational thought

Mitch Lewis needs to play harder though or I’ll get pokie brain

Remove this Banner Ad

Back