Rumour 2024 Hypothetical trade and FA Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Hypothetical so please don’t hurt me…

What if we did receive a top ten pick for Lewis and then on-traded that with our current first for a player like JUH or Cadman? There may obviously be some other bits and bobs to work out but that would possibly make a Lewis trade look a lot better.

Lewis traders are delusional, omeara was 22 and coming off one really bad injury, Mitch Lewis will be 26 next year and hasn’t reached 100 games yet due to persistent injury issues. He is worth more to us as (with the hope we can get his body right) than anyone will be willing to pay for him. 2 top 10 picks is absurd even in the hypothetical thread
Jaeger Didn't play a game in 2015 and 2016. Was a major injury that wasn't fixed.

KPF that should be coming into their prime? 2 early first rd picks probably too much but a later first rd and player could get it done.

What if we did receive a top ten pick for Lewis and then on-traded that with our current first for a player like JUH or Cadman? There may obviously be some other bits and bobs to work out but that would possibly make a Lewis trade look a lot better.
The more creative the better!

Still think we need a top 2 pick midfielder but maybe next years first plus what we got for Lewis for one of those players would be good for us. Not sure the other teams would go for it though.

I mean sure but the odds of either coming are incredibly incredibly slim, near 0.

Even IF they were willing to come you are better off partnering them with Lewis instead of trading him.

I mean sure but the odds of either coming are incredibly incredibly slim, near 0.

Even IF they were willing to come you are better off partnering them with Lewis instead of trading him.
They were just examples of players, there could be other targets across the league to use picks on too. Not a very in-depth hypothetical on my part, more just an idea around the Lewis discussion that could potentially suit us or even better us.

I don’t know where I stand with Lewis, I want him to stay but the time he spends out of the team is starting to concern me too.

I see what you are saying and mostly agree. But we are about to have Gunston be our key forward this week so are we really any better off?

Say we get Battle and with Blank back next season. Move Sicily forward who isn't injury prone and we are still making progress.
Why do these Sicily to the fwd line suggestions keep coming up... He's an all Australian defender when he's allowed to play his best position. Getting another good key defender will only make him a better defender...

They were just examples of players, there could be other targets across the league to use picks on too. Not a very in-depth hypothetical on my part, more just an idea around the Lewis discussion that could potentially suit us or even better us.

I don’t know where I stand with Lewis, I want him to stay but the time he spends out of the team is starting to concern me too.
I think anyone who isn't concerned about Lewis is kidding themselves so totally agree with that. Almost 26 and really never strung together an extended period of elite footy.

However he is locked in for the next few years and has given no indication of wanting out so i just find the discussion a waste really. He backed us in and we have backed him in so whether he is a future coleman winner or a frustrating player who for multiple reasons never reaches his potential, i think it is going to be as a Hawk.

We just have to hope for the best.

Why do these Sicily to the fwd line suggestions keep coming up... He's an all Australian defender when he's allowed to play his best position. Getting another good key defender will only make him a better defender...
I swear all these Sicily forward people must have very short memories or be new fans or what because Sicily is a failed forward turned elite defender. That is not a knock on him, he is one of the best at what he does. He has never ever looked even a fraction of the player up forward that he is down back.

I love a list mgt hypothetical as much as anyone but wow…
Lewis can’t get on the park any year and he’s worth 2 firsts. That would be Norf levels of list management.
And dees who just drafted Windsor and tholstrup in r1 are giving them up…
that's all folks profile GIF

Lewis traders are delusional, omeara was 22 and coming off one really bad injury, Mitch Lewis will be 26 next year and hasn’t reached 100 games yet due to persistent injury issues. He is worth more to us as (with the hope we can get his body right) than anyone will be willing to pay for him. 2 top 10 picks is absurd even in the hypothetical thread
Of course it is….but.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I see what you are saying and mostly agree. But we are about to have Gunston be our key forward this week so are we really any better off?

Say we get Battle and with Blank back next season. Move Sicily forward who isn't injury prone and we are still making progress.

Blanck is a fringe player coming off of an ACL and Battle isn't a guarantee. Sicily isn't a forward and every time he moves there randomly in games it doesn't pay off.

Some of these list management proposals would make Michael Voss in 2009 sit back and go 'wow, what are those blokes smoking?'.

Last edited:
Lewis = 2 top 10 picks is the new Kosi = 2nd round pick because he's tall. I know we are desperate to improve but this is fantasy land stuff. Show me on the doll where the rebuild has hurt you.

I love a list mgt hypothetical as much as anyone but wow…
Lewis can’t get on the park any year and he’s worth 2 firsts. That would be Norf levels of list management.
And dees who just drafted Windsor and tholstrup in r1 are giving them up…
that's all folks profile GIF's all folks profile GIF

Lewis best year is 37 goals and people are chatting about 2 first rounders.

A pick around 15-20 would be the offer based on what he has achieved at his age.

Blanck is a fringe player coming off of an ACL and Battle isn't a guarantee. Sicily isn't a forward and every time he moves there randomly in games it doesn't pay off.

Some of this list management proposals would make Michael Voss in 2009 sit back and go 'wow, what are those blokes smoking?'.

We were chips in for both Esava and Benny Mckay.

I suggest nothing has changed and we will be all over some KPD again during the trade and free agency period.

Lewis best year is 37 goals and people are chatting about 2 first rounders.

A pick around 15-20 would be the offer based on what he has achieved at his age.
Agreed if anyone offered 2 firsts it would be hard to turn down as massive overs, but the issue is he needs immediate replacement. I would only entertain it if you either got a young KPF like Neale or Lord traded in or a stop gap like Lobb or Taberner for 2 years whilst Ramsden Dear McCabe and one of the Lewis picks from this trade where we draft a KPF develop. It’s like the strangest ever choose your own adventure book if that ever came to pass.

'Raise your hand if you have been personally victimised by the Hawthorn rebuild'

View attachment 1975274
I reckon the best part is that the talent we had at the start of the year hasn’t changed, but instead of patience and knowing we need a KPF and KPD it’s all of a sudden panic stations and throwing out key forwards for more picks.

I reckon the best part is that the talent we had at the start of the year hasn’t changed, but instead of patience it’s all of a sudden panic stations and throwing out key forwards for more picks.
Our understanding and realisation of what talent we have, or don’t have, has changed. Hence the panic.

Our understanding and realisation of what talent we have, or don’t have, has changed. Hence the panic.
Maybe for some.

I reckon the best part is that the talent we had at the start of the year hasn’t changed, but instead of patience it’s all of a sudden panic stations and throwing out key forwards for more picks.
Ha - You said this year was going to be our 2007 LOL! People post things - don't always get it right.

One of the only positives of the season right now is talking up trade wins in a hypothetical thread.

People want to think about a win, whatever it is, because it doesn't look like happening on the field anytime soon.

Ha - You said this year was going to be our 2007 LOL! People post things - don't always get it right.

One of the only positives of the season right now is talking up trade wins in a hypothetical thread.

People want to think about a win, whatever it is, because it doesn't look like happening on the field anytime soon.
Don’t lie, I did not say that.

Here’s what I wrote, and it was clearly a “can we”, not a “we will” post.

“As it stands in 2007 our list was 16th for experience with an average games played of 47.
In 2024 our average games played at Round 1 will be 59.6.

In 2007 our average was 22.7, while in 2024 it will be 23.7.

In 2007 we had Franklin kick 73 goals as a standout.
Rough 40.
Boyle 32.
Dixon 24.
Hodge(23), Lewis(14) and Crawf(10) combined for 47 goals from the middle.

Can we get 55 out of Lewis, 40 out of Chol, 35 from Punky and 40 combined from Wiz and Ginni, and then also get 45 goals from Moore(20), Newcombe(15), Worpel(10)? How many can Croc, Amon and Weddle kick?

I don't think it's beyond the realms of belief that our forward line which is probably the most potent it's been since Rough/Cyril retired can get the job done each week, particularly if our midfield continues its progression at the coalface.

Regardless with Wiz, Chol, Punky and Ginnivan in there we're likely going to be treated to some pretty exciting goals in 2024.”

Clearly the regression of the midfield and the loss of players to injuries impacted all of those hopes.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back