Rumour 2024 Hypothetical trade and FA Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

10 pages of people trying to figure out how we get the deal done with Smith.
Has he nominates us or something?
No - and Paul Connors and Sam Power are way too experienced and savvy for that.

If they’ve got:

1. the current premier,

2. the previous premier (and current top of the ladder) and

3. the team currently sitting 17th which has been bottom 6 for the last 4 years

All lining up to have a chat, which one do you think an ambitious player keen for success leans towards?

If they’ve got:

1. the current premier,

All lining up to have a chat, which one do you think an ambitious player keen for success leans towards?
Who hurt you

If they’ve got:

1. the current premier,

16 other clubs would have also taken Ginni in a heartbeat

If they’ve got:

1. the current premier,

The Connors camp very much like Hawthorn and the buy in that the young players have with Sam.

The Connors camp very much like Hawthorn and the buy in that the young players have with Sam.
My question was actually asking about the player - ie. Bailey.

However, are you saying his management are leaning towards Hawthorn and not Geelong or Collingwood?

However, are you saying his management are leaning towards Hawthorn and not Geelong or Collingwood?
Managers will also consider the ability of the club to get a deal done for the player. Cats and particularly Collingwood don't have a lot to offer the dogs.

16 other clubs would have also taken Ginni in a heartbeat
The guy who played 10 VFL games in 2023 and was the subject of rumours he took images of a team mate and his wife in a public toilet?

You appear to have a very short memory.

Yep - every club was banging down his door.

That’s why he walked to us less than 24 hours after we registered interest. Collingwood spoke to all other 16 clubs within a day and decided the best trade offer was ours. 🤣

FWIW - I’m glad he is with us and he has flourished with more opportunities in a weaker side.

I’m saying that your negativity towards Hawthorn being seen to be a good destination for their player doesn’t wash completely.

The Baz connection to Hawthorn has been bubbling along for 18 months +.

Pretty sure this was debunked
Agreed.

It was part of a series of issues guiding Jack to the exit door, including his post season interview with the coach apparently.

There most certainly weren’t 16 clubs lining up to grab him.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Managers will also consider the ability of the club to get a deal done for the player. Cats and particularly Collingwood don't have a lot to offer the dogs.

The Pies could offer a F1.

Geelong would likely offer their current first. I wonder what the Doggies would prefer though, a current first or a F1 from Geelong. A bird in the hand and all that, but if Geelong finish top four then the Doggies would surely prefer a F1.

I’m saying that your negativity towards Hawthorn being seen to be a good destination for their player doesn’t wash completely.

The Baz connection to Hawthorn has been bubbling along for 18 months +.
I was agreeing with the OP who queries whether Smith to us was a done deal already (which obviously it isn’t).

The “Baz connection to Hawthorn” may also be running alongside and/or be taken over by the Baz connection to Geelong and/or Collingwood.

Any prudent management with a client who wants a change would be talking to multiple clubs wouldn’t they?

That’s not being negative to Hawthorn, it’s being realistic.

They are both clubs winning lots of games with good young midfielders (Daicos, Daicos, Lipinski & Holmes, Bruhn, Clark), but space to easily slot him in as the older ones retire.

We are probably 3-4 years off where these two clubs are right now. If he wants to move to a successful club immediately, then they both have that over us.

The Pies could offer a F1.
Geelong would likely offer their current first. I wonder what the Doggies would prefer though, a current first or a F1 from Geelong. A bird in the hand and all that, but if Geelong finish top four then the Doggies would surely prefer a F1.
Fair chance the Geelong 1st is close to Pick 20. The Collingwood F1 is a year away & could be anything from 2025 10 - 20.

In each case they'd be making a rival Flag contender a bit stronger.

They're much better off trading to us - they'd get a better pick & wouldn't be making another contender stronger.

The guy who played 10 VFL games in 2023 and was the subject of rumours he took images of a team mate and his wife in a public toilet?
This was debunked. Not relevant.

You appear to have a very short memory.

Yep - every club was banging down his door.
I never said they were “banging down his door.” I said 16 other clubs would have him on their list.

That’s why he walked to us less than 24 hours after we registered interest. Collingwood spoke to all other 16 clubs within a day and decided the best trade offer was ours.
See above. We were interested in him for 18+ months. It wasn’t decided in a day.

He could have easily gone to Carlton, Melbourne, Geelong to contend if he wanted to stay in VIC, or gone to GWS, Sydney. He’d walk right into the forward pocket for any of those teams and be contending now.

Very similar situation to Smith at this stage. A combination of money & playing for your boyhood club trumps immediately contending for some.

Fair chance the Geelong 1st is close to Pick 20. The Collingwood F1 is a year away & could be anything from 2025 10 - 20.

In each case they'd be making a rival Flag contender a bit stronger.

They're much better off trading to us - they'd get a better pick & wouldn't be making another contender stronger.
????

Very similar situation to Smith at this stage. A combination of money & playing for your boyhood club trumps immediately contending for some.
Ginni just won a flag 2023. So he’s happy to go to a lowly ranked club.

Smith missed one in 2021, and would be desperate to make up for that.

Given winning a premiership is what everyone aims to achieve in their footy career - I think their situations are markedly different.

Ginni just won a flag 2023. So he’s happy to go to a lowly ranked club.

Smith missed one in 2021, and would be desperate to make up for that.

Given winning a premiership is what everyone aims to achieve in their footy career - I think their situations are markedly different.

Smith grew up in Hawthorn

Followed club as kids

One of his best friends from school plays for us

- I think leaving any football club is hard and to leave you need to really want to go - the club should be happy with you leaving and there should be a motivation to go to the new club - I feel that Bailey Smith would benefit with a move to Hawthorn - F1 hopefully gets the job done and hopefully with a clear injury run in 2025, a slightly easier draw and the continual improvement with whats on our list - That F1 isn't anywhere near a top 5 pick

Smith grew up in Hawthorn

Followed club as kids

One of his best friends from school plays for us

- I think leaving any football club is hard and to leave you need to really want to go - the club should be happy with you leaving and there should be a motivation to go to the new club - I feel that Bailey Smith would benefit with a move to Hawthorn - F1 hopefully gets the job done and hopefully with a clear injury run in 2025, a slightly easier draw and the continual improvement with whats on our list - That F1 isn't anywhere near a top 5 pick
I know the first 3 are correct.

FWIW - I coached Smith before he got drafted. We remain in contact.

There’s also more childhood Hawthorn fans playing for other clubs than playing for us.

It happens.

I know the first 3 are correct.

FWIW - I coached Smith before he got drafted. We remain in contact.

There’s also more childhood Hawthorn fans playing for other clubs than playing for us.

It happens.
So he’s no chance to be in the Brown and Gold then..🤷🏻‍♂️

Remove this Banner Ad

Back