Injury 2024 Injury Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Running around an oval (prob half pace) 3months post surgery is not the same as full sprinting, jumping changing direction and copping heavy hits to his hip joint in a contact sport. He’ll prob be ready around Sep but by that time the season will be at the pointy end (let’s be honest he isn’t a good enough player to bring in for a final off a couple of reserve conditioning games). Also he won’t be able to qualify for Peel finals so what’s the point.

He, like Kuek can keep training but they won’t be up for selection in 2024. It looks likely that McDonald and Cox will be available in the second half of the year. Until then Draper gets his chance, Heath Chapman isn’t far off and we make do with what we have got.

I feel it is worth considering Jacob Blight for a short term mature age KPD cover at the mid season draft as our second pick.

Running around an oval (prob half pace) 3months post surgery is not the same as full sprinting, jumping changing direction and copping heavy hits to his hip joint in a contact sport. He’ll prob be ready around Sep but by that time the season will be at the pointy end (let’s be honest he isn’t a good enough player to bring in for a final off a couple of reserve conditioning games). Also he won’t be able to qualify for Peel finals so what’s the point.

He, like Kuek can keep training but they won’t be up for selection in 2024. It looks likely that McDonald and Cox will be available in the second half of the year. Until then Draper gets his chance, Heath Chapman isn’t far off and we make do with what we have got.

I feel it is worth considering Jacob Blight for a short term mature age KPD cover at the mid season draft as our second pick.

I thought that there was no qualification criteria for Peel as long as Freo is playing that weekend? So if we’re in finals Corbett or whoever would be able to play. The rule is there to stop Peel playing Caleb Serong, Luke Jackson and Jye Amiss in the WAFL finals of Freo’s season is done - of course it also applies to most players that play a decent amount of games but there has to be a cut off somewhere.

Tbh I don’t really support taking a KPD in the MSD unless we’re down another one or two. I don’t think Davies is all that far behind Draper and not sure some state league defender is going to replace players like Cox any better than Draper and Davies will. We’re ****ed if Pearce goes down before Cox or McDonald is back but I’m not sure a state leaguer is going to help all that much.

Based on what they’ve said about Oscar it seems like it’s gonna be the good old try to heal conservatively but will end up needing surgery anyway so it will just postpone his return

Disappointing but no one could say they are genuinenly surprised that Tabs has suffered another setback.

Hopefully Onions is back soon and Tabs can just take it easy for the season unless needed.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

What are the chances he gets back for gather round.

That would be immense
I'd rather they didn't risk him by rushing him back. Take an extra two weeks recovery once he's "ready" so we don't have another Brennan Cox scenario occur.

My understanding is Tabs is coming back from a discectomy so while 'fixed' by surgery, from my partner's experience who is not a professional athlete, many things still flare up the pain, and make it feel 'clunky'. I imagine a full game of footy and the sitting on the plane twice is causing a fair bit of discomfort. Often the prolonged sitting causes more issue. Doesn't necessarily mean he can't play or there is something wrong, but will just feel uncomfortable and managed with pain killers. Priddis (public knowledge) has had the same and still manages to pull the boots on regularly. One of our best jockeys had the same surgeon as my partner and if they can keep bouncing up and down on a horse, it obviously can be worked through.

Chappy and noddy to get wafl mins next weekend

Darcy 2 to 3 weeks

Stanley a test next week

Fyfe good to go for this week, tactical sub only

No McDonald update
Sean Darcy doing a great Harley Bennell impression here:
  • 26/3 = 2-3 weeks
  • 19/3 = 3 weeks
  • 12/3 = 3-4 weeks
We panned Tom Morris for his initial assessment of 6 weeks, but he may be bang on the money. Ryan Daniels ("within 4 weeks") is a distant dream now.

Sean Darcy doing a great Harley Bennell impression here:
  • 26/3 = 2-3 weeks
  • 19/3 = 3 weeks
  • 12/3 = 3-4 weeks
We panned Tom Morris for his initial assessment of 6 weeks, but he may be bang on the money. Ryan Daniels ("within 4 weeks") is a distant dream now.
I too sensed shenanigans when I saw 2-3 weeks. That pesky time warping blackhole appears to be back.

Noddy and co had better they get back on the track next week or they are going to be TBC before they know it

My understanding is Tabs is coming back from a discectomy so while 'fixed' by surgery, from my partner's experience who is not a professional athlete, many things still flare up the pain, and make it feel 'clunky'. I imagine a full game of footy and the sitting on the plane twice is causing a fair bit of discomfort. Often the prolonged sitting causes more issue. Doesn't necessarily mean he can't play or there is something wrong, but will just feel uncomfortable and managed with pain killers. Priddis (public knowledge) has had the same and still manages to pull the boots on regularly. One of our best jockeys had the same surgeon as my partner and if they can keep bouncing up and down on a horse, it obviously can be worked through.
people forget he has had to endure this, yet personally attack him

Remove this Banner Ad

Back