List Mgmt. 2024 List Management 📃

Remove this Banner Ad

The only thing Austin has got wrong is Young. Given he had previous insight that was a bad decision. The rest of his decisions i either like, like a lot or im ok with.

Having Young means the club doesnt look for a better option. That's the biggest cost, stopping to look because he is there.

The calamity rubs off on other players.

I’m okay with Young on our list. Cheap and can fill so many roles if needed. No star and frustrating but handy back up

It depends which clubs come calling with the monster offers IF he would leave.

He's not going to go to s club who hasn't yet been successful no matter how loaded and desperate for a FB they are (ie. North).

I also don't believe that he would head interstate.

My only concern would be if a club in it's own premiership window and with a truck load of cash came calling I would think those are the clubs we might have some concerns with Jacob. Perhaps a Melbourne as May's (32, 33 next year) replacement or the Filth will stump up big.
Industry consensus is that Jacob is not going anywhere. We've heard plenty of talk about McCluggage, Heyward, Zurhaar etc. None about Weitering. He will be very well rewarded but less than he could get elsewhere. It also helps that the salary cap goes up by about $2Mill next year (or 13% above 2024 levels).

I’m okay with Young on our list. Cheap and can fill so many roles if needed. No star and frustrating but handy back up
Got him for pick 52ish as well. He's not on the list to be a 300 game champion. He's a back up on little cash that can come in and fill a role when required

Yeh Jones takes as many intercept marks as Weitering and Gov combined
Jones and Gov are about the same in terms of intercepts and marks. Young also similar on these measures. Weiters way ahead of them all. At least in 2023:

Weiters had 208 marks (8 / game), Gov had 105 (4.8), Jones had 89 (4.9), Young had 77 (5.1)

Weiters had 201 intercepts (7.7 / game), Gov had 129 (5.9), Jones had 110 (6.1), Young had 90 (6)

Source: https://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/ft_player_rankings?year=2023&rt=LT&pt=&st=IT&mg=1

If he's still got concerns around his finances & someone comes in with a massive offer, it would be silly to not take a look at it - it did come to mind that he may be of interest to the Tassie side as one of their initial additions, particularly if he achieves some success with Carlton first.
That said, as probably our clubs most important player, we shouldn't have too much difficulty in opening up the required room in the cap to keep him happy.

Hell will freeze over before Jacob Weitering plays for another club, nothing surer.

Industry consensus is that Jacob is not going anywhere. We've heard plenty of talk about McCluggage, Heyward, Zurhaar etc. None about Weitering. He will be very well rewarded but less than he could get elsewhere. It also helps that the salary cap goes up by about $2Mill next year (or 13% above 2024 levels).

There was a segment on Fox Footy about a week to a week and a half ago about the potential of Weiters leaving. Said it was slim but not out of the question.

Obviously, I hope he stays.

Jones and Gov are about the same in terms of intercepts and marks. Young also similar on these measures. Weiters way ahead of them all. At least in 2023:

Weiters had 208 marks (8 / game), Gov had 105 (4.8), Jones had 89 (4.9), Young had 77 (5.1)

Weiters had 201 intercepts (7.7 / game), Gov had 129 (5.9), Jones had 110 (6.1), Young had 90 (6)

Source: https://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/ft_player_rankings?year=2023&rt=LT&pt=&st=IT&mg=1
I’m just talking about intercept marking.

I’m hoping we lock away Hollands and Boyd pretty soon. Some of these clubs struggling to pay the cap would be mad to not be in their ear and making like difficult for us

Why would you want to leave a club that plays in front of packed crowds most weeks and is a contender……for an extra what $100k maybe.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yeh Jones takes as many intercept marks as Weitering and Gov combined

Yes and this year Jones is pretty much averaging what Weitering and Gov are combined
'Combined'?

princess bride Theatre & Musicals GIF

Weiters wearing black & white?
Carlton bigfooty would go into some kind of overload seizure from the reactions. It's bad enough seeing Ben Mackay in red & black... and he only just looks like Harry.
Hell will freeze over before Jacob Weitering plays for another club, nothing surer.
Pretty sure we put a self destruct clause when we reprogrammed Weiters a few years ago if he ever even considered leaving.
Playing devil’s advocate…whilst I believe Weiters will finish his career in blue and have his name etched next to Doull and SOS as all time Carlton backmen, the poor bastard has lost hundreds of thousands of dollars to cyber fraud that he didn’t get reimbursed for. If he did leave for the money it’s understandable.

He got all his money back.

Not going anywhere.

Sent from my SM-G998B using Tapatalk

Glad to hear it.

I'd always assumed that one (or more) of the club's wealthy backers would have quietly set aside some money for him given the circumstances.

I've always wondered how that sort of thing would be monitored today with stuff like crowd-funding being quite prevalent.

Weiters loses a few hundred grand to a scam, sets up a GoFundMe (same as anyone else in those circumstances would probably do), then a few club bigwigs make generous anonymous donations...what can the AFL do about it?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back