• McDonald

Votes: 26 20.5%
  • Chad Warner

Votes: 64 50.4%
  • Charlie Curnow

Votes: 7 5.5%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Who are the best small forwards, outside mids and half backs out of contract the next 3 years.

Baker, Warner would be massive.
Starcevich would be very handy

Any small forwards?
Mid and small forwards would be handy...Stengle, Zurhaar, Sexton, Jesse Motlop, Dan Butler, Curtis Taylor, Rosas, Bedford, Daniels

Our bottom 5 to 10 players are poor. I know we have 4 picks this year but I feel we need to target a few free agents to fix our depth.

Do we have enough A grade talent on our list to a flag?

I feel we need more class in the forward to win one.

Can we through 700k at Stengle

WTF do we offer Baker?

He has had the prems, so money is what he will be chasing, he should get more of it at Richmond and likely the captaincy, will a premiership chance be enticing enough? The money just isn't going to be there for him.

I am operation get him btw, just don't know how we convince him, what do we have on the table for him?
I think s_wd6 got it at least half right with the Perth thing.

From there, we just hope he'd rather play in a team that might win a final before he retires, possibly pinch another flag or two.

WTF do we offer Baker?

He has had the prems, so money is what he will be chasing, he should get more of it at Richmond and likely the captaincy, will a premiership chance be enticing enough? The money just isn't going to be there for him.

I am operation get him btw, just don't know how we convince him, what do we have on the table for him?
I am not sure the eagles would want him

They can't afford to give up a 2nd rounder

I think s_wd6 got it at least half right with the Perth thing.

From there, we just hope he'd rather play in a team that might win a final before he retires, possibly pinch another flag or two.
Well his family run a farm down Lake Grace way and I think he’s pretty keen to farm after footy.
Coming back to Perth would at least be easier spending more time bush!
If Richmond throw the captaincy at him-it will make it a lot harder.
Fingers crossed cause I think he would be a great get both in character and general footy smarts

He won't be a 40 goal fwd (and as you allude to by suggesting him as a high half fwd, you don't really want him to be a stay-at-some type), but I think in all fairness the point THE_GUN is making (accurately imo) is that his goalkicking record probably undersells what he is as a goalkicker. Even in those seasons where he has had runs of games more fwd, he plays many games in other roles. Like last year he had a run of games towards the end of the season where he scored 10 in his last 10, but he ended the season with as many R50s as I50s. That doesn't scream someone who's spending most of his time fwd.

To me, I see him (as you probably see him) as a better Switta when he plays in attacking roles, except with also more positional versatility. Could well be good for 30ish goals in a season, as he's currently going at 1.5 goals per game this season (small sample size), but probably won't crack that next level of goalscoring that we need someone to be.
The point I was addressing is he's not a Walters replacement, he doesn't play close to goal and neither would you expect him to. I also think 30 goals is wildly optimistic. How many high half forwards get those numbers? Even elite ones like Moore struggle to get a above a goal per game.

By the way I'm not saying he wouldn't improve our side, he would. I'm just saying if the club wants an elite non key genuine goalkicking forward they will have to look elsewhere.

Last edited:
I'd also argue Sonny is not finished as yet. I think he has been close checked the last two weeks, after running riot against Adelaide, as our only real non key foward threat and by far the most damaging of our players taking it inside 50. (We're playing one too many pressure forwards for mine.)
By the way I forgot my main point here: because of our lack of offensive threat in our non key forward brigade, opposition sides have realised they can afford to sit on Walters.

The point I was addressing is he's not a Walter replacement, he doesn't play close to goal and neither would you expect him to. I also think 30 goals is wildly optimistic. How many high half forwards get those numbers? Even elite ones like Moore struggle to get a above a goal per game.

By the way I'm not saying he wouldn't improve our side, he would. I'm just saying if the club wants an elite non key genuine goalkicking forward they will have to look elsewhere.
I think he’d make us kick more goals just through decision making and class but yeah, he’s not an actual genuine goal kicker and never will be

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yeah convinced he's worth a shout for a late first after yesterday. Not going to kick 30 but will at least have a ping and is pretty good getting the ball inside 50 to advantage.

Our bottom 5 to 10 players are poor. I know we have 4 picks this year but I feel we need to target a few free agents to fix our depth.

Do we have enough A grade talent on our list to a flag?

I feel we need more class in the forward to win one.

Can we through 700k at Stengle

We’re still quite young. As I said before the season started I think there’s enough talent that there’s no excuse to finish bottom six but we can’t be expected to finish top four yet. Also got to remember we had a fair chunk of our best 22 out yesterday and in some cases their direct replacement are also injured.

Most of those problems you’ve listed will be sorted out if we do a good job developing what’s already on our list. Even guys like Amiss, Treacy and Chapman, Johnson who’ve shown a bit already have plenty of time to get much better.

Small forward is the clear gap in our emerging talent and needs to be addressed. We can start at the MSD but even if the right player is available I’d go again at season’s end.

Jesse Motlop might be the one to look at. I know a lot won’t rate him in here but easy to forgot he’s a third year small forward. In his season year his numbers were good for a second year small forward. Probably one for 2025.

You also don’t pass the opportunity to sign someone like Baker when you’ve got what could be four picks inside 40.

I've been banging on about drafting a small forward for so long now. It's another poor decision by the drafting team and it's going to cost us as we won't have Fyfe and Walters by the time they start hitting their straps. I would even argue drafting a small forward was more important than drafting Cooper Simpson last season. Unless we can tempt Pickett across the border we will need to draft one.

Last edited:
Also the people shitting on Emmett need to relax. He has only played 7 AFL games. Do we all have short memories on how long it took for Schultz to start hitting his straps? We sat through many frustrating games with Schultz but it all paid off in the end. Emmett is physically an upgrade on Schultz (taller, faster, stronger). Now we just need to pump games into him so he can polish off his disposal and execution.

I've been banging on about drafting a small forward for so long now. It's another poor decision by the drafting team and it's going to cost us as we won't have Fyfe and Walters by the time they start hitting their straps. I would even argue drafting a small forward was more important than drafting Cooper Simpson last season. Unless we can tempt Pickett across the border it's back to square one.

We literally drafted a small forward last year

We literally drafted a small forward last year
At pick 60??? That just shows how much they didn't value drafting a small forward. Wallzy is brilliant but he loves his bargain bin players a little too much. Players in that range are more likely to fail then have long careers. Delean looks promising but he is a long way off it.

The point I was addressing is he's not a Walter replacement, he doesn't play close to goal and neither would you expect him to. I also think 30 goals is wildly optimistic. How many high half forwards get those numbers? Even elite ones like Moore struggle to get a above a goal per game.

In all depends on who else we bring in. There are apparently strong rumours Charlie Cameron is on the move and wanting out of Brisbane. I could see us in the frame for him if he came relatively cheap at the trade table (say the Saints second). We've been linked to a ton of players in recent times and there's a reason why. In the case of both us and Adelaide its believe we have a ton of salary space opening up.

We’re still quite young. As I said before the season started I think there’s enough talent that there’s no excuse to finish bottom six but we can’t be expected to finish top four yet. Also got to remember we had a fair chunk of our best 22 out yesterday and in some cases their direct replacement are also injured.

Most of those problems you’ve listed will be sorted out if we do a good job developing what’s already on our list. Even guys like Amiss, Treacy and Chapman, Johnson who’ve shown a bit already have plenty of time to get much better.

Small forward is the clear gap in our emerging talent and needs to be addressed. We can start at the MSD but even if the right player is available I’d go again at season’s end.

Jesse Motlop might be the one to look at. I know a lot won’t rate him in here but easy to forgot he’s a third year small forward. In his season year his numbers were good for a second year small forward. Probably one for 2025.

You also don’t pass the opportunity to sign someone like Baker when you’ve got what could be four picks inside 40.
We don't look that young on paper but when you realise it is Taberner, Hughes, JoM, Fyfe and Walters dragging our age up and not doing much you realise how young we are. Only 2 of them aren't B22 and 1 other really shouldn't be on performance.

AP, Ryan and Aish are the only clear B22 in their peaks and it shows.

Not sure Motlop is the guy though, it's painful watching slow forwards getting run-off by quick defenders and Motlop doesn't appear to be particularly quick.

At pick 60??? That just shows how much they didn't value drafting a small forward. Wallzy is brilliant but he loves his bargain bin players a little too much. Players in that range are more likely to fail then have long careers. Delean looks promising but he is a long way off it.

Walters and Neale were picks in the 50’s as was Luke Ryan

Back