• McDonald

Votes: 26 21.0%
  • Chad Warner

Votes: 63 50.8%
  • Charlie Curnow

Votes: 5 4.0%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

I think if Jackson is a mid, which I think he is, then we play Treacy as the ruck/fwd and we need another key forward to run up the ground for a mark.

I want to dominate the sky. It won't matter if we have Loopy McShanks kicking the ball forward if we have dominant marking talls. Footy gets very easy when we have marking talls.
he is way to slow to be a mid

Given they want McDonald, they clearly want to use Jackson as primarily a mid/ruck or pure mid as Taylor says.

Personally, Treacy has all the hallmarks of being a good forward but an elite back, I can see that move being made down the road, particularly if his marking doesn’t come on this year.

And Mihocek got drafted at 25 so fair to say in terms of ALF output at 21, Treacy absolutely smashes Mihocek anyway.
Confused Tv Show GIF by Laff

I can't see him even getting past North's pick 2 or 3 tbh
They supposedly have Duursma and McKercher locked in those spots. Why? Who the * knows, I’ve determined North don’t actually want to build a competitive list

Given they want McDonald, they clearly want to use Jackson as primarily a mid/ruck or pure mid as Taylor says.

Personally, Treacy has all the hallmarks of being a good forward but an elite back, I can see that move being made down the road, particularly if his marking doesn’t come on this year.

Possible...

If things aren't working this year I'm open to Cox to CHF and Treacy to CHB

If he kicks 50 you'll be giving all three firsts

Jeremy Cameron was traded for 13, 15, 20 (perhaps similar to what we will hold next year), and Geelong got 2 x 2nd rounders back. McDonald should not be worth anywhere near Cameron in a trade. Although I thought the same about Jackson.

But we can't give them all to Sydney if we don't have them. Use one to get in the draft this year. Or put one aside for Nic Martin.

Other clubs like Brisbane, Essendon, Geelong, Saints, Carlton act like w***ers at the trade table. It's about time we did the same and stopped being "easy to deal with".

Jeremy Cameron was traded for 13, 15, 20 (perhaps similar to what we will hold next year), and Geelong got 2 x 2nd rounders back. McDonald should not be worth anywhere near Cameron in a trade. Although I thought the same about Jackson.

But we can't give them all to Sydney if we don't have them. Use one to get in the draft this year. Or put one aside for Nic Martin.

Other clubs like Brisbane, Essendon, Geelong, Saints, Carlton act like w***ers at the trade table. It's about time we did the same and stopped being "easy to deal with".

Yeah FA is a different ball game.
Dangerfield went for a bag of chips too

I think he's very good but considering our other more pressing list needs, and the suggestion he'll cost all or most of those three first round picks, it's a massive no from me. I can't even believe it's being seriously discussed
With me, it's more that the spine of the team is more important to address than flankers, who I think you can find relatively easily and can even get state league players to adapt to AFL level relatively quickly. If Logan is the real deal and won't be that Hipwood type that never progressed beyond that 35ish goal per season tall fwd, I'd go for it.

Mind you, I'm seeing Nic Martin OOC in 2024 and think that Freo have got to try their hardest to get him.

I think the club still would. Wallsy doesn't seem to let go of his draft favourite. He pines for them like that toy you never had as a kid. Jackson was bog average for the Dees in 2022, for example.
To me in part that reflects the fact that ultimately the best placed fans to judge how good a player is in a trade are the fans of the team that the player is being traded from. You see this all the time: Collingwood fans this season probably are a bit miffed at how much they paid for Schultz, whereas we're like "the picks are nice, but we know what Schultz is and those picks are far from a guarantee to become a player of that level." Opposition fans who don't watch these guys week in week out have to resort to shortcuts to analysing these guys.

I was also a bit bewildered at the Jackson trade unless we essentially had a handshake deal with Darcy to trade him (and even then thought it was much). Melbourne fans meanwhile, even with us sinking this year and that F1 being so valuable, are probably like "the picks are nice, but they're not Jackson." Then when I saw that Jackson played as a fwd like if Lachie Schultz was 2m tall, I was sold even before the production came.

There are aspects to Logan that cause me concern, but if anything about him gives me confidence it's how much Sydney fans are melting at the fact that we are in with a chance of getting him next season.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

They supposedly have Duursma and McKercher locked in those spots. Why? Who the * knows, I’ve determined North don’t actually want to build a competitive list
I'd have to 100% agree with you if that's the case. No disrespect to those two young blokes, they seem like good prospects, but that'd be an absolutely shocking call. If they have 2&3 then surely one has to be the guy who could play in an area of need for 15+ years?

If Dan Curtin slips to pick 8-12, should we give up our future 1st?
It's pretty rare for a team to trade a first round pick on draft night. I might have missed one or two, but these are all I can see:
Pick 18 to the Hawks for pick 27, future 2nd, and a future 3rd
Pick 12 to Port for pick 14, and a future 2nd
Pick 20 to Geelong for a future 1st
Pick 11 (and 62) to GC for pick 17 and 22
Pick 18 (and Adelaide's future first) for Carlton's future first.
Also worth noting Collingwood traded a future first for picks 24, 30, and a late future 4th

I think by the time the draft comes around teams have put so much effort and planning into their picks that becomes too hard for them to not use the pick without getting significant overs.

I'm hoping that a solid preseason from Josh has him less puffed and the resulting lesser thump in the brain from the oxygen going to the muscles makes his hands and kicks clinically accurate again.
He has a similar work ethic to Tabs, he'll be fine.

Err, maybe because they have said they were going into full rebuild mode, which means they have a reason to value picks and so traded in nothing. Pretty standard approach.
Unlike another club that said it is aiming to win a flag by 2025, finished 14th, lost players, and also traded in nothing.
Which club has the more coherent strategy?
You an Eagles fan or what, what steps have they taken to improve their draft hand? Not a whole lot (less than Freo have mind you).

It's pretty rare for a team to trade a first round pick on draft night. I might have missed one or two, but these are all I can see:
Pick 18 to the Hawks for pick 27, future 2nd, and a future 3rd
Pick 12 to Port for pick 14, and a future 2nd
Pick 20 to Geelong for a future 1st
Pick 11 (and 62) to GC for pick 17 and 22
Pick 18 (and Adelaide's future first) for Carlton's future first.
Also worth noting Collingwood traded a future first for picks 24, 30, and a late future 4th

I think by the time the draft comes around teams have put so much effort and planning into their picks that becomes too hard for them to not use the pick without getting significant overs.
Yep,
Talk of trading futures to get Curtain isn’t going to happen. Melbourne have pick 6, surely they pull the trigger anyway.

Fremantle now has to start to get pro active and start targeting players like clubs are more than happy to do to Freo.

There is three players I would be targeting starting right now.

Jesse Motlop - out of contract at the end of 2025 but would fill a massive hole in the foward line. That X factor crafty small forward is exactly what Freo needs, offer him a 5 year old deal and the go home factor.

Nick Martin - out of contract 2024, fills the obvious wing depth.

Logan McDonald - would be nice to get but I feel there is other gaps that need to be filled first. Although Amiss and McDonald for the next 10 years would be amazing.

Jesse Motlop - out of contract at the end of 2025 but would fill a massive hole in the foward line. That X factor crafty small forward is exactly what Freo needs, offer him a 5 year old deal and the go home factor
The question marks on Motlop are size and speed.

Not sure he has a left foot either, he is not someone I really want to chase too hard.

Back