• McDonald

Votes: 27 16.7%
  • Chad Warner

Votes: 88 54.3%
  • Charlie Curnow

Votes: 10 6.2%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Hold ya horses Mags! We need to target needs this draft otherwise we aren't winning a premiership. Forwards are a priority!
wdym mate treacy and simpson are kicking 100 between them, curitn will be the steak knives for rachelle after he gets ousted for being selfish/scared anyway

We need a goal kicking mid that can push forward of centre, we are relying too heavily on Serong and Brayshaw and goalkicking isn't their strengths. We are about a couple of goals a game short from the midfield, we would have won both the Carlton and Port games if we had that from our mids.

I think Warner would actually fill a need perfectly, arguably more so than McDonald if Treacy stays a regular weapon
Yep a power mid who can kick goals in the DeGoey, Petracca mould would finish us off nicely

Talking about Hawks on the main board has helped me reconcile something I was struggling with. I feel like Walls is a genuinely elite drafter / recruiter but we still arent competing for a flag / are missing in areas. Rebuilding a whole list is as hard as it ever has been with the draft now compromised to extreme levels. NGAs, Academies and F/S and the point system being completely busted has made it very hard to get the talent you need in the door and you need to hit every, single, pick to have any chance of moving out of the muck.

Carlton are the only full rebuild team to get out of the muck recently, and they started 3-4 years before we did so managed to avoid the worst of it. The other teams that I would say have been rebuilding in the same time we have are North, Hawks, Adelaide, Essendon (sort of) and now WC and look where most of them are. GC also rebuilt at the same time but were basically given half their list because they couldnt do it themselves.

Walls has done an incredible job, whatever we do this offseason, I'll back him in to take us to the next step

Last edited:
Talking about Hawks on the main board has helped me reconcile something I was struggling with. I feel like Walls is a genuinely elite drafter / recruiter but we still are competing for a flag / are missing in areas. Rebuilding a whole list is as hard as it ever has been with the draft now compromised to extreme levels. NGAs, Academies and F/S and the point system being completely busted has made it very hard to get the talent you need in the door and you need to hit every, single, pick to have any chance of moving out of the muck.

Carlton are the only full rebuild team to get out of the muck recently, and they started 3-4 years before we did so managed to avoid the worst of it. The other teams that I would say have been rebuilding in the same time we have are North, Hawks, Adelaide, Essendon (sort of) and now WC and look where most of them are. GC also rebuilt at the same time but were basically given half their list because they couldnt do it themselves.

Walls has done an incredible job, whatever we do this offseason, I'll back him in to take us to the next step

He is by far the most underrated recruiter in the league.

I was saying the other day to someone who was bemoaning the Hogan trade - the draft following that trade we picked up Lachie Schultz with pick 57, who we have subsequently turned into a top 10 pick and Cooper Simpson.

Has ability to draft, particularly with late picks, is the best in the league. No other list management team in the league could have dealt with the qualities of players leaving the club and managed to still put together a competitive list, much less a list that is (potentially) on track for finals

Of the 36 current Carlton players:
Cerra, Williams, Kennedy, Fogarty, McGovern, Acres, Fantasia, Docherty, Hollands, Martin, Marchbank, Newman, Pittonet, Hewett, Young, Saad

All brought in via trade or free agency. (44%)

Of the 37 current Fremantle players:
O'Meara, Clark, Jackson, Aish, Sharp, Brodie, Corbett, McDonald, Wagner

All started their careers elsewhere. (24%)

We have scope to add five or so established players to the squad.

Of the 36 current Carlton players:
Cerra, Williams, Kennedy, Fogarty, McGovern, Acres, Fantasia, Docherty, Hollands, Martin, Marchbank, Newman, Pittonet, Hewett, Young, Saad

All brought in via trade or free agency. (44%)

Of the 37 current Fremantle players:
O'Meara, Clark, Jackson, Aish, Sharp, Brodie, Corbett, McDonald, Wagner

All started their careers elsewhere. (24%)

We have scope to add five or so established players to the squad.
pretty decent hit rate for the blues, would all be in their best 22 or close to it

pretty decent hit rate for the blues, would all be in their best 22 or close to it

They targeted the players they needed and bought them.

I do wonder though if Ampol are paying half the squad to be environmental spokesmen for them company.

We are mostly limited to WA players who aren't WC sympathisers or managed by Young.

Then they have to be the types who don't love the busy city life of Melbourne/Sydney (e.g. Zurharr won't be coming back).

And usually not established players from a contender (e.g. McDonald, Taylor, Warner ... obviously Jackson was an exception). Warner end of 2025 might be a small chance, but I just don't see Sydney losing him, and they certainly will not let him go while contracted.

And we have no chance with the types on long contracts (e.g. Bolton 2028, Rivers 2027, Van Rooyen 2029, Powell 2029).

It doesn't really leave a long list of names to go after and it makes perfect sense that Baker is the only genuine option (outside fringe/depth players) this year.

Get Baker done early doors, then start on Warner…

We have the currency this year…if he is showing any indication that he wants to come back we push hard now…best two firsts no problem….we do not under any circumstances want to leave the door open for West Coast to get Warner.

Any combination of two of three firsts we have left after Baker.
Especially with the way Treacy has come on, Warner is exactly the the type of goal kicking midfielder we need.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Get Baker done early doors, then start on Warner…

We have the currency this year…if he is showing any indication that he wants to come back we push hard now…best two firsts no problem….we do not under any circumstances want to leave the door open for West Coast to get Warner.

Any combination of two of three firsts we have left after Baker.
Especially with the way Treacy has come on, Warner is exactly the the type of goal kicking midfielder we need.
He has kicked 9 goals so far this season which is insane for a midfielder.

Watching his powerful line breaking running on the weekend was doing it for me, let me tell you…

Him and Simpson…hoo boy.
Tbh he would push Simpson out unless we lose Switta and JOM. Johnson would probably make way as well. We are already playing a surplus number of midfielders. Also I would be chasing Warner next season when he is OOC. If we don't draft an elite small forward this season we aren't getting far.

Tbh he would push Simpson out unless we lose Switta and JOM. Johnson would probably make way as well. We are already playing a surplus number of midfielders.
Of the team from the weekend, Warner and Baker could comfortably replace any of these names and make significantly us better. Johnson, JOM, Walters, Emmett and that still leaves room for Simpson to push one of them out

Of the team from the weekend, Warner and Baker could comfortably replace any of these names and make significantly us better. Johnson, JOM, Walters, Emmett and that still leaves room for Simpson to push one of them out
Yeah I think you are right. Warner and Baker would likely replace these two players as they play similar roles:

Warner > Johnson
Baker > JOM

That leaves Switta, Walters, Emmett. Simpson could replace one of those names. We also have room for a drafted small forward. My only reluctance is to play two midfielders in the forwardline (Baker and Simpson).

Yeah I think you are right. Warner and Baker would likely replace these two players as they play similar roles:

Warner > Johnson
Baker > JOM

That leaves Switta, Walters, Emmett. Simpson could replace one of those names. We also have room for a drafted small forward. My only reluctance is to play two midfielders in the forwardline (Baker and Simpson).
I think Emmetts role is basically a midfielder anyway. That flank role where you push up and down, similar to Freddy. Turning Emmett's transition play into Bakers transition is an insane upgrade. If you had Warner, until Fyfe retires, you can start having Young and Brayshaw spend a bit more time out of the centre - it's not like you lose something having Warner there instead. The only player out of that midfield group that is basically 100% on ball is Serong. Warner, Baker, Young, Brayshaw can all play forward/wing/HBF better than at least one of the players there currently anyway

The rotations would need work but you're getting a massive transition increase when the quality is those two instead.

Think Walters needs a genuine small forward replacement but Simpson can have similar impact to Walters at the moment I'd think and the sooner we get in the mindframe that young talent needs to push someone out to earn a spot, the better (we are almost there)

They'll celebrate like it's Pittard and Polec all over again.

Lucky them.

If they are trying to buy Switta too that would be awesome.

Future first and #21 for Switta, Brodie, O'Meara and #10

Then future first and #9 for Warner and Warner and maybe #14 too to include McDonald

Offer #21 for Baker.

Back