• Athleticism
  • Speed/agility
  • Vertical leap
  • Kicking/creativity
  • Clean hands
  • Football smarts
IMPROVEMENTS:
  • Consistency
DRAFT ANALYSIS: A player who has come on strongly over the past 18 months, Winder has a vast array of weapons which catch the eye of onlookers. Winder’s athletic strength was highlighted at the WA Draft Combine, where he finished in the top five of every test, including winning the vertical jump test and the 20-metre sprint. Something which sets him apart it his ability to utilise his athleticism on the field; bursting away from stoppages with speed, zipping around opponents, and rising to take some terrific aerial marks for a player of his size.

Winder also has one of the best kicks going inside 50, often lowering his eyes to spot up a team-mate on the lead or in space. The 180cm prospect is low to the ground and clean in his delivery, able to spear or weight his passes to avoid intercepts.

He has also demonstrated an ability to be a threat whenever he is stationed inside the forward 50. He is smart with his leading patterns, strong overhead and is a solid kick for goal. That kind of attacking acumen makes him such a dangerous and impactful player, though he can certainly work on more consistently applying himself defensively.
It's a nice sounding profile for sure.

To be honest, for a MSD pick, I can live with the risk he hasn't found it yet.

With those traits, he has a high ceiling. Worth a crack for 6 months at least.
I would love us to pick him up, hopefully in the last 4 years he’s managed to work on that last trait, it’s exactly the thing our coaches look for in a small forward/ mid though.

Like most, I like the idea of looking at Winder. As a talent, has a lot of AFL traits, and particularly traits that this side lacks. You see it with a pick-up like Emmett (different type of player to Winder, but still applicable to him) - his current output is lacking and his disposal can use a fair amount of improvement to say the least, but the combo of physical traits that you see most when he just barrels through a tackle like it's not there makes him a prospect that you want to see the team stick with.

Oskar Smartt is another of the smaller fwd half type who has AFL traits and could be a decent pickup if available (Winder's probably still a better talent on paper, but Smartt doesn't have the negative history - hopefully Winder is/will bounce back from that especially if he's in purple).

By contrast, you look at someone like Jed Hagan, and while his production at WAFL level is good and he's only 20, you do question whether he has enough AFL traits (there are notable exceptions who break rules of thumb, but rules of thumb are rules of thumb for a reason).

My whole thing with the MSD is whether the player is worth delisting someone like NOD or Sturt if they have disappointing seasons but are talents who we might still have faith in, given we normally go project picks in the MSD. With Winder, that's not an issue - his talent is notable, and he's a player who we'll have a fair idea whether it's gonna work or not after 6 months, unlike someone like Kuek or Stanley where we had 0 idea either way after 6 months.

I think he's in the same group as the other three named.

Maybe we can think of a Victorian who moved to an interstate club after being a regular player, top ten maybe pick?
Travis Boak is a Vic who has stayed in the least appealing state in Australia.
Ditto Rory Sloane

Sydney play a fast exciting brand, lets Chad play free exciting footy, why in the world would he want to come play bland vanilla footy under JL..?
Same applies to Logan.

The chad chat needs to stop

I’d rather 20 Warner touches over 35 from serong.
Warner reminds me of Dustin Martin in some ways. He’s not at that level and still sprays the odd kick but he gets from contest to contest very impressively, explodes forward regularly and kicks goals. There no way on earth the swans are entertaining a trade for a contracted player of that level in any case - it’s a pipe dream.

I love Serong but I genuinely don’t know if I’d pick him ahead of Warner now from that 2019 draft, it’s such a tight call.
Most AFL fans would agree it’s harder to find a player like Warner than Serong.
Only thing is Serong is still young so not the finished article yet either.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I actually thought Warner was very frustrating disposing of the ball except when kicking at goal.

I expect to hear all about how we were fleeced by Sydney for our two first round picks for him when he is missing targets.
With 8 minutes to go in Q2, Warner had two goals kicked for the game.

Serong has kicked just 4 goals in the entirety of last season and this combined. 31 games and 124 quarters of football. In that period - it’s an average of 0.13 goals per game.

Warner alone has kicked 12 goals this season - more than the entire Fremantle inside midfield group put together. And some.

Serong is an amazing clearance player. A brilliant all round midfielder. But that’s not our biggest problem. Kicking goals is.

I actually thought Warner was very frustrating disposing of the ball except when kicking at goal.

I expect to hear all about how we were fleeced by Sydney for our two first round picks for him when he is missing targets.
Considering we have one of the worst midfields for kicking goals, Chad proved tonight why we need him. As that Sydney poster said, if we get more goals out of our midfield we become serious contenders. Not to mention his blistering pace out of the stoppage!

Chad was lining up forward almost all the time I was looking for him, you'd expect him to kick more goals than the mid working to get involved in link up play marking behind centre.

We didn't punish their turnovers, if we did there would be highlights starting with a Warner disposal.

I’d rather 20 Warner touches over 35 from serong.
Warner reminds me of Dustin Martin in some ways. He’s not at that level and still sprays the odd kick but he gets from contest to contest very impressively, explodes forward regularly and kicks goals. There no way on earth the swans are entertaining a trade for a contracted player of that level in any case - it’s a pipe dream.

I love Serong but I genuinely don’t know if I’d pick him ahead of Warner now from that 2019 draft, it’s such a tight call.
Most AFL fans would agree it’s harder to find a player like Warner than Serong.
Only thing is Serong is still young so not the finished article yet either.
Two different players. Serong has his moments so does Warner.

Warner could replace Fyfe. Simple.

Would love Brayshaw to be Warner. But just doesn’t use his separation enough.

With 8 minutes to go in Q2, Warner had two goals kicked for the game.

Serong has kicked just 4 goals in the entirety of last season and this combined. 31 games and 124 quarters of football. In that period - it’s an average of 0.13 goals per game.

Warner alone has kicked 12 goals this season - more than the entire Fremantle inside midfield group put together. And some.

Serong is an amazing clearance player. A brilliant all round midfielder. But that’s not our biggest problem. Kicking goals is.
He’s the first ball getter.
Warner isn’t.

Ideally you want Young to be that goalkicker.

Considering we have one of the worst midfields for kicking goals, Chad proved tonight why we need him. As that Sydney poster said, if we get more goals out of our midfield we become serious contenders. Not to mention his blistering pace out of the stoppage!
Realistically you play Simpson, even as the sub.
Sure he will be inconsistent but he adds that pace, class with the ball.
I really don’t understand how JOM, now the rumours of Switta moving on
are in the leadership group.
Moving forward to next year, these guys just don’t add much?
It’s an issue with both Fyfe and Walters also slowing down.
So we have a gameplan that over uses the ball, and players who don’t have
the skills or line breaking to hit the scoreboard.
So who can come in or add something for the future?
If Jlo doesn’t cut the deadwood, and try to address the flaws I really don’t see
how we can be top 4?
Brodie seems done at Freo, Erasmus is behind all the other inside mids.
Sean Darcy doesn’t play and Reidy, Knobel are too Meek.
Then you have Sturt, NOD, Stanley, Warner and Wagner who would only get a
game by default.
IMO we need another former head coach with a different approach to scoring and
player development to be added to the coach team.
We could lose the 3 mids and a small forward next year so what’s the plan?
Really don’t see any outside thinking in our coaches group or think tank and thats
why we will struggle even more next year.
If you want proof look at who we lost in 2022, then the results in 2023.
This club is built on trades and hope, player development has always been an Achilles Heel.

We are still all reasonably happy with everywhere bar the forward line right? Like the club would be moronic not to be spending every once of the considerable capital this year we have on players that at least start forward
We drafted a KPD with our 2nd pick last year. One that looks like he wanted to request a trade on the spot.,

I have no confidence at all. Trade and draft this year is going to be a crushing disappointment I feel and we'll rue it for half a decade whilst we constantly fall short because of forward execution. You know, like the last 15 years.

We drafted a KPD with our 2nd pick last year. One that looks like he wanted to request a trade on the spot.,

I have no confidence at all. Trade and draft this year is going to be a crushing disappointment I feel and we'll rue it for half a decade whilst we constantly fall short because of forward execution. You know, like the last 15 years.
I refuse to believe Walls is not going to spend every last bit on that forward line this year (and I count Warner as helping there). There’s three best 22 spots up for grabs up front and not one anywhere else on the ground. He can’t be THAT stubborn

I refuse to believe Walls is not going to spend every last bit on that forward line this year (and I count Warner as helping there). There’s three best 22 spots up for grabs up front and not one anywhere else on the ground. He can’t be THAT stubborn
Well at this point its faith, because there is very little evidence to back up your belief.

We are still all reasonably happy with everywhere bar the forward line right? Like the club would be moronic not to be spending every once of the considerable capital this year we have on players that at least start forward
Ideally 3 forwards (not key forwards) plus one line breaking mid with elite skills with our first 4 picks

If we get baker, then 3 forwards. I am not sure Winder changes it.

It is a pity the draft looks mid heavy at the moment.

Back