• McDonald

Votes: 26 15.4%
  • Chad Warner

Votes: 96 56.8%
  • Charlie Curnow

Votes: 10 5.9%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Ideally 3 forwards (not key forwards) plus one line breaking mid with elite skills with our first 4 picks

If we get baker, then 3 forwards. I am not sure Winder changes it.

It is a pity the draft looks mid heavy at the moment.
The forwards always seem to escape these ratings though, like recruiters pick em better than casuals. There will be one or two around where we want I’m sure. Agreed Winder shouldn’t factor into anything, I don’t care how they get them but nothing but forwards with our capital

The forwards always seem to escape these ratings though, like recruiters pick em better than casuals. There will be one or two around where we want I’m sure. Agreed Winder shouldn’t factor into anything, I don’t care how they get them but nothing but forwards with our capital

We will know a lot more after the nationals. Hopefully a few small to medium forwards play well.

Realistically you play Simpson, even as the sub.
Sure he will be inconsistent but he adds that pace, class with the ball.
I really don’t understand how JOM, now the rumours of Switta moving on
are in the leadership group.
Moving forward to next year, these guys just don’t add much?
It’s an issue with both Fyfe and Walters also slowing down.
So we have a gameplan that over uses the ball, and players who don’t have
the skills or line breaking to hit the scoreboard.
So who can come in or add something for the future?
If Jlo doesn’t cut the deadwood, and try to address the flaws I really don’t see
how we can be top 4?
Brodie seems done at Freo, Erasmus is behind all the other inside mids.
Sean Darcy doesn’t play and Reidy, Knobel are too Meek.
Then you have Sturt, NOD, Stanley, Warner and Wagner who would only get a
game by default.
IMO we need another former head coach with a different approach to scoring and
player development to be added to the coach team.
We could lose the 3 mids and a small forward next year so what’s the plan?
Really don’t see any outside thinking in our coaches group or think tank and thats
why we will struggle even more next year.
If you want proof look at who we lost in 2022, then the results in 2023.
This club is built on trades and hope, player development has always been an Achilles Heel.
Simpson has gotten some valuable experience and feedback, now he needs to work on his craft at Peel. Specifically, he needs to learn how to find the ball. Unfortunately this is part of the development process and we need to be patient.

Simpson has gotten some valuable experience and feedback, now he needs to work on his craft at Peel. Specifically, he needs to learn how to find the ball. Unfortunately this is part of the development process and we need to be patient.
That’s all and good, but why does a player like Johnson get games to find his feet at AFL and others don’t?
Sometimes you just have to get them to that 50 game level.
Doesn’t mean they play week in week out, but we are either competing or
renovating. Jlo is coaching for the now, if he survives this year, next year will be
2023 all over again and he is gone.

Rubbish. He can do that at the top level.

We really do need a Liam Baker type. The team needs more mentally tough players because right now if it doesn't fall our way, the team pisses its pants.

We are still all reasonably happy with everywhere bar the forward line right? Like the club would be moronic not to be spending every once of the considerable capital this year we have on players that at least start forward

Nope

I want Warner and Baker.
Goal kicking line breaking mid, goal creating mid/wing/forward

That’s all and good, but why does a player like Johnson get games to find his feet at AFL and others don’t?
renovating. Jlo is coaching for the now, if he survives this year, next year will be
Johnson's issues are to do with consistency which is mainly due to being played out of position on the wing. When he plays in the midfield he looks at home doesn't he? Simpson is also a midfielder and is being played out of position. The difference is he doesn't have the strength to compete against AFL bodies and he struggles to stay in the game. I want to see him start in the midfield at Peel while he works in the gym.

Nope

I want Warner and Baker.
Goal kicking line breaking mid, goal creating mid/wing/forward
I do too bro but if we don't get a small forward we are screwed. If we use all of our first round picks we would need to dip into future picks or trade players.

I do too bro but if we don't get a small forward we are screwed. If we use all of our first round picks we would need to dip into future picks or trade players.

Chads got ngat almost 1.5 a game.

Liam’s disposal will bring our forwards into it more.

Feels like Saints second could be used on a small forward.
Delean must be fast tracked

We drafted a KPD with our 2nd pick last year. One that looks like he wanted to request a trade on the spot.,

I have no confidence at all. Trade and draft this year is going to be a crushing disappointment I feel and we'll rue it for half a decade whilst we constantly fall short because of forward execution. You know, like the last 15 years.
Walls did talk about fwd half talent as what we needed, and we probably addressed that as much as could be expected with the limited picks. Murphy I just think was a combination of "a slider who was too good to pass up talent wise" + "a profile of young KPD that we don't have" in terms of height and skillset. In terms of the players we could've got instead of him, it's really only wingers that we missed out on (Freijah has done enough to earn a call-up for the Bulldogs, and Fonti on paper looked like a decent project pick that GWS reached on).

What I do think we may regret is in our chase for Jackson, we lost 2 years of drafting, and it's more the end of first rounders which is potentially something we could've traded into even while getting Jackson that we might regret not doing. I know Allan generated a lot of understandable hype, but Darcy Jones was the last pick in the first round of 2022, and Collard was the 2nd last pick of the first round in 2023. I'd feel a lot better about this group if we had just 1 of them, let alone both.

Regardless, given what Walls said and kinda did in 2023 + the glaring issues still at hand, I'm gonna assume we're gonna use the bulk of our assets on fwd half talent, and now we have the capital to do so there's no excuses.

5 years is more than enough to mould a team and have them firing. One final series in that time (should we not make finals in 2024, which I think is very likely) is not good enough and change must occur.

We are still all reasonably happy with everywhere bar the forward line right? Like the club would be moronic not to be spending every once of the considerable capital this year we have on players that at least start forward

I know it’s a bit of a running joke on here, but…I think line breaking half back is going to be high on the list for us too. Maybe not at the trade table, but at the draft at least. Especially if we have any intention of moving Chapman up to a wing.

We basically have Wagner as the only backup for both Clark and Walker.

Aish has been good this year, Chapman is back and we seem high on Worner…but they’re mostly solid composed types, not the types to break a game open. It won’t be long until Clark is tagged every game with how much it affects our ball movement.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I know it’s a bit of a running joke on here, but…I think line breaking half back is going to be high on the list for us too. Maybe not at the trade table, but at the draft at least. Especially if we have any intention of moving Chapman up to a wing.

We basically have Wagner as the only backup for both Clark and Walker.

Aish has been good this year, Chapman is back and we seem high on Worner…but they’re mostly solid composed types, not the types to break a game open. It won’t be long until Clark is tagged every game with how much it affects our ball movement.
I don’t see anyone kicking Walker and Clark out and I d rather keep Williams on the Cat B list and/or move Stanley there. Otherwise I think Wagner and Worner are fine for depth. Twist my arm maybe a rookie project but nothing more

Code sports is saying Liam Baker prefers to be traded to West Coast

Having thought about it a bit more, Baker could replace Banfield, and Winter if he got his act together would replace O'Meara (or vice versa)

It still means we need one more small forward, but we would be in luxury territory.

Do I dare dream that we get Baker, draft Winter and he get his act together, Stengle comes over and we still have 2 1st round picks.

Ahh you mean Cooper Simpson

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

If this was the NBA and loyalty wasn’t as big a thing I’d seriously consider moving big pieces to create a balanced team. I know, I know… it doesn’t work like that BUT:

In a different world we could trade Serong or Brayshaw.

Insert Brodie and use the capital from Brayshaw or Serong to fill a need in our front half. Could also further develop Erasmus and Johnson.

Could also trade Darcy.

People will talk about culture and bleed purple but if we traded out a hypothetical Darcy and Serong and received a hypothetical Toby Greene and an inform Kosi Pickett, we’d simply be better.

It’s horrendous list management that we have Brodie, Erasmus fit and playing WAFL. JOM playing below expectations when more or less those 3 play similar roles.

We then have elite extraction mids with horrendous kicks. They’re just so bad kicking inside 50m that it’s making it hard to think of them as genuine elite mids.

Really you only want/ need 2 of those types at max.

If you look at the team, it's really only two very good small forwards away (maybe just one elite). A lot of the issues re: goal kicking mids tend to resolve themselves when teams are up and about. Those smalls also give you more space to operate around the fringes whcih allows your Youngs/Aishs/Sharps etc to have a go from 50. Brayshaw and Serong are a bit down currently but Brayshaw has shown an ability to hit the scoreboard from deep.

We're a monster clearance side with 3 talls who are going to be excellent (JJJ). You get some good crumbing work going and we become a side that should be kicking 6-7 a game from centre-bounce. I've seen worse teams than us become excellent after the addition of the right player or two.

Maybe I'm too glass half full, but I don't feel like we're far away at all.

Edit: Plus I don't see why we can't get the missing pieces over the next two years given our draft capital.

If you look at the team, it's really only two very good small forwards away (maybe just one elite). A lot of the issues re: goal kicking mids tend to resolve themselves when teams are up and about. Those smalls also give you more space to operate around the fringes whcih allows your Youngs/Aishs/Sharps etc to have a go from 50. Brayshaw and Serong are a bit down currently but Brayshaw has shown an ability to hit the scoreboard from deep.

We're a monster clearance side with 3 talls who are going to be excellent (JJJ). You get some good crumbing work going and we become a side that should be kicking 6-7 a game from centre-bounce. I've seen worse teams than us become excellent after the addition of the right player or two.

Maybe I'm too glass half full, but I don't feel like we're far away at all.

Edit: Plus I don't see why we can't get the missing pieces over the next two years given our draft capital.

I think we’re 3 years away from Treacy and Amiss being consistently impactful forwards.

Really pleasing to see both have a decent run of games with impact but they’re still so raw.

Hopefully Cooper Simpson becomes something.

Still need to find/ develop a decent small and medium sized forward.

Need one more elite ball user too. Young is great. Who else do you trust kicking inside 50m???

I don’t see anyone kicking Walker and Clark out and I d rather keep Williams on the Cat B list and/or move Stanley there. Otherwise I think Wagner and Worner are fine for depth. Twist my arm maybe a rookie project but nothing more

If we had a genuine rebounder of note outside of Clark, it would open up other possibilities like dropping O’Meara and moving Aish to that sort of everything role. Or having Chapman move up to that position.

Not saying we use our 3 first rounders to trade for someone, but I think it warrants more than a speculative rookie.

Back