• McDonald

Votes: 24 13.0%
  • Chad Warner

Votes: 115 62.5%
  • Charlie Curnow

Votes: 11 6.0%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Surely Baker comes straight in for Emmet ?

Think JOM probably plays a role I can see Baker being quite good at tbh. Him and probably Switkowski.

We’re not getting a massive goal kicker with Baker but let’s remember we have three first rounders and probably four top 30 picks so there’s other picks we can trade and/or use at the draft anyway.

If Baker plays HBF like he has mostly at Richmond I can see one of back seven replacing JOM. Baker is an upgrade on one or two of them but you still find a way to keep good AFL players in your side.

Think JOM probably plays a role I can see Baker being quite good at tbh. Him and probably Switkowski.

We’re not getting a massive goal kicker with Baker but let’s remember we have three first rounders and probably four top 30 picks so there’s other picks we can trade and/or use at the draft anyway.

If Baker plays HBF like he has mostly at Richmond I can see one of back seven replacing JOM. Baker is an upgrade on one or two of them but you still find a way to keep good AFL players in your side.
We add Baker and lose Switta?
It’s an ongoing problem that seems to balance out at Freo.
It’s not like we are cutting players that are deemed not good enough.
Instead we have players wanting out, destination clubs have people buying in.

Thanks

He would definitely bring more intensity than JOM that’s for sure .
I haven’t watched all of Bakers games but have seen enough to think he can be damaging playing forward
Also don’t think JL will shuffle the deck chairs in defence too much it’s humming pretty nicely as is .

When Cox comes back Id like to see Chapman on a wing

When people pull stats saying Baker doesn’t kick a heap of goals , it’s probably because he was playing off half back or midfield most of the time

On another note
Hard question to answer but Do you think Emmet will start converting sooner rather than later ?
I’m getting concerned and if he doesn’t start hitting the scoreboard he’s a bit of a waste of space up there , pressure is good but awareness is pretty poor
Improving though .

Last edited:

We add Baker and lose Switta?
It’s an ongoing problem that seems to balance out at Freo.
It’s not like we are cutting players that are deemed not good enough.
Instead we have players wanting out, destination clubs have people buying in.
I love Switta but are you that concerned about losing a player who always seems injured and rarely kicks goals ?

If he wants to go let him , it’s not the end of the world

I love Switta but are you that concerned about losing a player who always seems injured and rarely kicks goals ?

Switta is one of the more overacted players on here. Yeah he's good in traffic, but he's also small, almost always injured, and rarely kicks goals.

I don't understand how people can reconcile being concerned about a lack of goal scoring prowess/class and then almost in the same breath complain that Switta may be replaced/leave.

We are talking about a small forward who has never scored more than 2 goals in a game, scored 16 goals from 22 games in his best season and as a midfielder has career high of 22 possessions.

His top skill is tackling, which is more a product of losing contests and then being able to lock up the player from the eye test.

People talk about Henry's lack of kicking depth, Switta is right there with him on the can't kick over a jam tin.

He is the definition of the type of player the club should be looking to upgrade.

I’m off on Switta recently too but still think you only let him go if there’s a decent replacement coming in, in addition to Baker.
He’s contracted to 2026. Two more years after this. I doubt we are getting anything amazing for him pick wise - he’s 28 this year I think. And down on form. We would do well to get a pick inside 30 so hardly worth it. I’d keep him to his contract till end of 2026 when he’s 30 then let him go.

Baker will be the replacement for Walters (or Walters spot in the front 7). We still need more, a lot more.
Two players in the teens in this years draft I like the sound of are Joe Berry and Tom Gross.

Switta is probably fine if you surround him with 3 or 4 proper goal kickers. Not Emmett and Banfield, and a just-about-done Michael Walters. He’s pathetic from set shots and finishing his work though. In 74 game he’s never kicked more than two goals in a game. For a small forward that’s just damning, there’s no dressing it up.

I think he’d finish in our top 10 B&F but that’s just my opinion. I’m not saying he’s 12th best, more stating people are crazy if they have guys like Walker, Frederick, Aish, Chapman, Johnson, Banfield etc ahead of him.

Obviously anyone with height gets picked before him. As a small he’d be in our first 5 picked all day every day.

Anyway, what I’d pay?

I’d start with Saints 2nd rounder, but would pay our latest 1st rounder ~16.

If Tigers want higher I’d even pay our second best 1st rounder but would hope we get currency back. Maybe a future 2nd/3rd or something somewhat irrelevant.
I think as time goes on he's more and more likely to drop down the pecking order for us.

The thing is he's not a premium small forward, pressure or goal kicking. Not a premium half back. Not a premium mid. The comparison to O'Meara is entirely valid. Only O'Meara limits come from his age and injury proneness.

I'm thinking the Tiggers (and Vic media) will categorise it as a Lachie Schultz type deal. So a couple of first rounders of one type or another. Schultz was our #1 small forward. Baker can't offer that at all.

I don't understand how people can reconcile being concerned about a lack of goal scoring prowess/class and then almost in the same breath complain that Switta may be replaced/leave.

We are talking about a small forward who has never scored more than 2 goals in a game, scored 16 goals from 22 games in his best season and as a midfielder has career high of 22 possessions.

His top skill is tackling, which is more a product of losing contests and then being able to lock up the player from the eye test.

People talk about Henry's lack of kicking depth, Switta is right there with him on the can't kick over a jam tin.

He is the definition of the type of player the club should be looking to upgrade.
Switkowski's number one weapon is undeniably his pace and ability to gather the ground ball at or near top pace.

His number one weakness is his tendency to get injured.

When he's able to get a decent run fitness-wise he's shown he can produce top 5 in the comp levels of pressure.

Surely Baker comes straight in for Emmet ?
Emmett's involvements have been pretty good. You'd hope by the end of the year his development would increase the number of those.

Certainly Baker will be immediately more accomplished and knowledgeable.

But Baker's not going to reach the levels of power Emmett has and certainly not the power levels he potentially will.

In the last quarter against us Baker did some fairly borderline acts shall we say. Now I'm not sure those acts didn't cross the line into reportable because he held back or simply because he's a munchkin and lacked the power.

Switkowski's number one weapon is undeniably his pace and ability to gather the ground ball at or near top pace.

His number one weakness is his tendency to get injured.

When he's able to get a decent run fitness-wise he's shown he can produce top 5 in the comp levels of pressure.
I would say equal to the weakness you state is his inability to kick goals, which is alarming for a forward. He has no penetration on his kick, and actually looks to give off too often - he lacks the confidence to own the simple goals.

I love his pressure and pace, and genuinely think he makes us a better team when he's in, but really he's not good enough as a "forward". He needs more arrogance when kicking at goal. He's a club leader, he should be owning it any time he gets the chance of a shot.

Switkowski needs a goal kicking side kick as the 2nd small forward i agree he doesnt kick enough goals but the pressue side of his game is ellte. Schluz was that player last year he hasnt been replaced yet. Emmett is the one but he has only played 10 games at the level. unfortunately its all going to take time

I would say equal to the weakness you state is his inability to kick goals, which is alarming for a forward. He has no penetration on his kick, and actually looks to give off too often - he lacks the confidence to own the simple goals.

I love his pressure and pace, and genuinely think he makes us a better team when he's in, but really he's not good enough as a "forward". He needs more arrogance when kicking at goal. He's a club leader, he should be owning it any time he gets the chance of a shot.
But I think the role they get Switkowski to play makes it harder to kick goals. He tends to get further up the ground. His role has value in helping create goals for others via intercepts and turnovers.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Small forwards look good in good sides with good bigs.

Baker will be playing the role on the forward half flank that aish does on the back half flank. Just let him be a good footballer and make everyone around him better.

But I think the role they get Switkowski to play makes it harder to kick goals. He tends to get further up the ground. His role has value in helping create goals for others via intercepts and turnovers.
yep this is true - but it doesnt excuse the fact that when he has opportunities at goal, he often either misses, or passes off when he shouldnt because he doesnt have the confidence in himself to make the shot.

He was a culprit against Sydney - missing a simple set shot, against the dogs he also was running in, 25m out, slight angle and instead of kicking the simple goal, handballed over the top which he mucked up and we lost a shot to a turnover. 2 recent examples that come to mind where they should have been easy goals by AFL standard. The better small forwards of the comp dont miss or diss those.

I like switta as i said, but if there's a chance to upgrade then we need to do that. Cooper Simpson may be that upgrade next year until he eventually moves into the midfield.

yep this is true - but it doesnt excuse the fact that when he has opportunities at goal, he often either misses, or passes off when he shouldnt because he doesnt have the confidence in himself to make the shot.

He was a culprit against Sydney - missing a simple set shot, against the dogs he also was running in, 25m out, slight angle and instead of kicking the simple goal, handballed over the top which he mucked up and we lost a shot to a turnover. 2 recent examples that come to mind where they should have been easy goals by AFL standard. The better small forwards of the comp dont miss or diss those.

I like switta as i said, but if there's a chance to upgrade then we need to do that. Cooper Simpson may be that upgrade next year until he eventually moves into the midfield.
Are you talking about Switta. He didn’t play against dogs. In fact Sydney was his first game back after missing a number of weeks. If talking about missed set shots Voss missed the first one of the game which was very straight forward and a real momentum killer.

Switta doesn’t have the distance in his kicking. So if he is more than about 35metres out he will lack confidence because that is his end range capacity.

There were many culprits in missing set shots on Friday not just Switta.

If he goes (to another club) his pressure will be missed but I agree he doesn’t hit the scoreboard enough.

Yeah, I just see him as such an upgrade on the roll of Switta or specifically Emmett that I'm happy for a late first. The capspace I'll assume they know what they are doing given how cheap they have been on other players. I'm so tired of watching Walters unable to contest or Emmett unable to do cleanly dispose of the ball that I honestly think Baker would result in at least an extra goal a game just by not ******* things up
Watching the replays Emmett doesn't seem that bad for decision making and execution. Certainly recently. Maybe I need to watch him more closely. The Adelaide game might've been a bit clangery, but he also takes the game on and could moderate that to the situation more.

No doubt he can't go scoreless for too many more weeks.

It's clear Switta doesn't have the goal sense, which as many have stated. And he is injury prone.
For me his key additions to the team are the pressure and the ability to create something, which we've often lacked and why he has been valuable.

When Switta is fit he can hit the ball at speed and change angles very quickly, with decent vision to boot.

The problem at the moment is the balance across the forward line, previously fairly reliable players like Jackson and Freddy have missed very gettable shots and Emmett also isn't able to impact scoring wise.
Add to that a known weakness for goals from our midfield and it hurts.

In isolation losing Switta wouldn't be the end of the world with Cooper Simpson looking promising and some similar traits, except we need to stop losing players in that critical age and experience range.

Hard question to answer but Do you think Emmet will start converting sooner rather than later ?
With Emmett it's probably just a case of being patient and lowering the immediate expectations. Like he missed out on what, 2 years of developmental footy? Makes a ton of sense that his game sense is easily his weakest attribute (followed by poor disposal).

Issue is that in our situation, those hard lessons need to be learnt by him at AFL level rather than a continued run at WAFL level due to the very limited options (a bit like Schultz, but Schultz at Emmett's age was better). Having a fwd that shoots once a game and whose most reliable form of shot generation is getting free kicks gets frustrating, especially when you look at his physical attributes.

Unlike our lack of goals from midfield, where you'd suspect a turnaround should happen coz there's no way Brayshaw, Jaeger, Serong, Fyfe, and Johnson can keep up a combined 6.20 from 39 shots so the tide has to turn at some point accuracy wise, with Emmett I don't see the equivalent reason for the tide to turn quickly.

The point I’m trying to make is that ideally we keep mature players and add depth, quality.
I have no problem with adding Baker. But if Switta as you say is no loss then
why is he in the leadership group, in the best22 when fit?
If he isn’t doing much then why hasn’t someone else getting a go?
It appears all of our problems can be fixed with trades instead of internally.

Emmett's involvements have been pretty good. You'd hope by the end of the year his development would increase the number of those.

Certainly Baker will be immediately more accomplished and knowledgeable.

But Baker's not going to reach the levels of power Emmett has and certainly not the power levels he potentially will.

In the last quarter against us Baker did some fairly borderline acts shall we say. Now I'm not sure those acts didn't cross the line into reportable because he held back or simply because he's a munchkin and lacked the power.
Baker is a bit of sniper but then again most of Richmond are (holdover from Hardwick's style)

Are you talking about Switta. He didn’t play against dogs. In fact Sydney was his first game back after missing a number of weeks. If talking about missed set shots Voss missed the first one of the game which was very straight forward and a real momentum killer.

Switta doesn’t have the distance in his kicking. So if he is more than about 35metres out he will lack confidence because that is his end range capacity.

There were many culprits in missing set shots on Friday not just Switta.

If he goes (to another club) his pressure will be missed but I agree he doesn’t hit the scoreboard enough.
Actually you're correct - it wasnt against the dogs - another game at home I can distinctly remember him running in at the pocket and choosing not to kick it from close range. Any good forward would eat that up.

His pressure is fantastic and he does make us better, but we need players to kick goals. Our midfield doesnt do it, so if our forwards arent doing it then we're a bit stuffed

Baker wouldn’t be guaranteed best 22?

Are you huffing paint?
Really?

"Not guaranteed first 22, at least after 1st year"

So our back 7 are: Pearce, Cox, Chapman, Walker, Ryan, Aish, Clark
- I think you'd be a clown to replace any of them with Baker

Our mids are: Fyfe, Serong, Brayshaw, Darcy/Jackson, Sharp, Johnson, and Young
- I think you'd be a clown to replace any of them with Baker

Our forwards are: Amiss, Jackson/Darcy, Treacy, Walters, Freddie, Swit/Cooper, BB

spare man is JOM

so who does he replace? JOM to become the new JOM? swap out a goal kicker for another occasional goal kicker? cause that won't solve our scoring problems.

As I said, may be a good player but in our list scrapes into the 22 as a utility when we need a super mid Fyfe-type replacement (e.g. The Chad), and small forwards that kick goals like they're on heat Ballas and Walters style in their prime. We have picks, I say we look to trade such types in.

Back