• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Really?

"Not guaranteed first 22, at least after 1st year"

So our back 7 are: Pearce, Cox, Chapman, Walker, Ryan, Aish, Clark
- I think you'd be a clown to replace any of them with Baker

Our mids are: Fyfe, Serong, Brayshaw, Darcy/Jackson, Sharp, Johnson, and Young

Our forwards are: Amiss, Jackson/Darcy, Treacy, Walters, Freddie, Swit/Cooper, BB

spare man is JOM

so who does he replace? JOM to become the new JOM? swap out a goal kicker for another occasional goal kicker? cause that won't solve our scoring problems.

As I said, may be a good player but in our list scrapes into the 22 as a utility when we need a super mid Fyfe-type replacement (e.g. The Chad), and small forwards that kick goals like they're on heat Ballas and Walters style in their prime. We have picks, I say we look to trade such types in.
You're overrating our own players mate

I actually don't have a problem with Swittas lack of goals. As a genuine high half forward if you reach 1 a game you are the best in the league.

His best is top two of three in the competition in that role, but he can't reach his best often as he is so injury prone. He is 28 at the end of the season and if he can't get continuity soon he'll be done as a player.

Really?

Our forwards are: Amiss, Jackson/Darcy, Treacy, Walters, Freddie, Swit/Cooper, BB

spare man is JOM

so who does he replace? JOM to become the new JOM? swap out a goal kicker for another occasional goal kicker? cause that won't solve our scoring problems.

As I said, may be a good player but in our list scrapes into the 22 as a utility when we need a super mid Fyfe-type replacement (e.g. The Chad), and small forwards that kick goals like they're on heat Ballas and Walters style in their prime. We have picks, I say we look to trade such types in.
Cooper has proven nothing yet (and I'm as big on him as anyone) and Baker is better than at least 3 of those names mentioned in the forwarldine and pushes them out without any thought needed. He doesnt scrape into the 22.

Cooper has proven nothing yet (and I'm as big on him as anyone) and Baker is better than at least 3 of those names mentioned in the forwarldine and pushes them out without any thought needed. He doesnt scrape into the 22.

I think both things can be true ... he is an automatic best 22 player, but at the same he only scrapes into the side when he's only really taking the spot of a couple of small players (Switta, Walters, JOM) who are towards the lower end of our 22.

He may currently be a better individual player than many others (e.g. Chapman, Walker, Sharp, Johnson, Aish, Frederick), but he is too small (or lacking the pure speed in Walker/Freddy's case) to be able to take their spot.

Even Banfield or Emmett, you'd pick Baker over them even with the loss in size, but ideally they'd be replaced with other medium sized players (e.g. Emmett with Sturt and Banfield with Erasmus/Stanley).

Do we need trades or just better list management ?

We need to finish better, if that requires a traded in player then so be it.

The most dangerous small forward we have had slip through our fingers is Brandon Matera, but we never got the best out of him as I don't think he ever found the best out of himself. He was one who could find the goals from any angle when the opportunity arose.

Really?

spare man is JOM

He replaces Walters or Switta. Most likely Walters, don't think he plays on.

I think both things can be true ... he is an automatic best 22 player, but at the same he only scrapes into the side when he's only really taking the spot of a couple of small players (Switta, Walters, JOM) who are towards the lower end of our 22.

He may currently be a better individual player than many others (e.g. Chapman, Walker, Sharp, Johnson, Aish, Frederick), but he is too small (or lacking the pure speed in Walker/Freddy's case) to be able to take their spot.

Even Banfield or Emmett, you'd pick Baker over them even with the loss in size, but ideally they'd be replaced with other medium sized players (e.g. Emmett with Sturt and Banfield with Erasmus/Stanley).
I can see both being right, on numbers, maybe he just scrapes in but the reality is there is very little chance anyone is replacing him the next 5 years. Massive upgrade on the players he replaces and no one is taking his spot anytime soon

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We need to finish better, if that requires a traded in player then so be it.

The most dangerous small forward we have had slip through our fingers is Brandon Matera, but we never got the best out of him as I don't think he ever found the best out of himself. He was one who could find the goals from any angle when the opportunity arose.
maYBE another case of player management.
PErhaps we recruiting players with issues. either way we need to have some support for players to work on motivation, self beleif, and wanting to stay at Dockers.

I can see both being right, on numbers, maybe he just scrapes in but the reality is there is very little chance anyone is replacing him the next 5 years. Massive upgrade on the players he replaces and no one is taking his spot anytime soon

If it were Papley or someone of that ilk, I would have to take back what I wrote in my last post, even though technically it is the same thing in terms of Papley replacing a lowly player in our 22.

But I'm not sure Baker provides that huge upgrade (in terms of scoreboard impact). My concern is the price we pay for someone who so far has been best suited to a midfield/half back role (which is not our problem), and hoping he will transform our forward problems.

If Baker plays as a pure small forward and delivers in that position (goals and/or goal assists), then I will stand corrected.

He'll kick more playing forward and I disagree with the other post saying you hadnt notice maybe Emmett issues, Baker will lead to more goals being kicked by others
There's no evidence Baker will kick more goals, that's just a hope. He also averages less tackles and more clangers than Emmett. I agree Baker will best 22 and would fit comfortably in the upper 2nd tier ranks, but he won't own any position really. The issue for me always is the cost, which will probably be at an upper tier 1 level.

Oh and how can you disagree with what I'm saying I noticed? 🤔

But I'm not sure Baker provides that huge upgrade (in terms of scoreboard impact).

Let's run the numbers!

I'm going to consider scoreboard impact to be scores off his own boot and score involvements, but they can be broken down even more as score board impact per involvement.

Give me a bit of time..

There's no evidence Baker will kick more goals, that's just a hope. He also averages less tackles and more clangers than Emmett. I agree Baker will best 22 and would fit comfortably in the upper 2nd tier ranks, but he won't own any position really. The issue for me always is the cost, which will probably be at an upper tier 1 level.

Oh and how can you disagree with what I'm saying I noticed?🤔
Bleh, I really dont want to get into one of your classic pedantic back and forths. I'm not sure what you are looking at but Baker averages more tackles and goals this year and yes has more clangers while having comparatively more touches. I'll assume your last bit is an attempt at sarcasm and my meaning was clear enough without being pinpoint specific.

His kicking needs to improve.

His decision making would need to improve. I really hopeful he can find a place in our main side. But of the times he's played this year I remember him getting the ball then just holding onto it unable to make a decision, and keep the ball moving quickly.

Invariably the defence would flood back and a turnover would occur.

Back