• Chad Warner

Votes: 149 65.9%
  • Charlie Curnow

Votes: 14 6.2%
  • Shai Bolton

Votes: 6 2.7%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Bleh, I really dont want to get into one of your classic pedantic back and forths. I'm not sure what you are looking at but Baker averages more tackles and goals this year and yes has more clangers while having comparatively more touches. I'll assume your last bit is an attempt at sarcasm and my meaning was clear enough without being pinpoint specific.
What pedantic? Just read things properly perhaps instead of interpreting.

Baker simply does not have the runs on the board as a small forward. I'd imagine here they'll have him as a mid/forward. Fine, but it's the price for a player as a 2nd tier in both those positions.

Re Emmett... in watching the replays I have taken a little more interest in his disposals lately, when they come I haven't seen them being massively horrible, but will maybe do something a little more forensic.

Last edited:
Some seriously biased purple takes on here today.

Bakers a gun and walks into the best 22 of EVERY team in the AFL.
He’s one of those players that goes though an entire career from when he breaks though to first team football and never plays a minute of state league footy for the next 10-12 years.
extremely consistent performer - top 6 in the B&F at Richmond for 4 years straight, including a premiership year.
A two time premiership player, he’s averaging 13 kicks a game this season which is elite.

Also he’s never injured - Plays just about every single game.

Matthew Lloyd said yesterday he should be the next captain of the Richmond football club. According to Rhino west coast are willing to pay him circa $800k per annum.

But yeah - he would barely make the freo best 22. Goodness me 🤷‍♂️😳

Some seriously biased purple takes on here today.

Bakers a gun and walks into the best 22 of EVERY team in the AFL.
He’s one of those players that goes though an entire career from when he breaks though to first team football and never plays a minute of state league footy for the next 10-12 years.
extremely consistent performer - top 6 in the B&F at Richmond for 4 years straight, including a premiership year.
A two time premiership player, he’s averaging 13 kicks a game this season which is elite.

Also he’s never injured - Plays just about every single game.

Matthew Lloyd said yesterday he should be the next captain of the Richmond football club. According to Rhino west coast are willing to pay him circa $800k per annum.

But yeah - he would barely make the freo best 22. Goodness me 🤷‍♂️😳
The question isn't whether he would make the 22, bit of a red herring really. The question is on what you're paying for a player who would not be a first tier player here.

We appear to be witnessing a repeat of the "Schrodinger's Freo Fan" phenomenon, where players are either incredibly underrated and incredibly overrated, but their ability is only decided when they are linked to Freo or not.

Most fan bases experience a similar phenomenon, in that they tend to get excited about players that want to join them, and talk them up (and arguably overrate them). The Freo element is very interesting, as our fan base tends to do the inverse, and massively talk down players linked to Freo, and post endlessly about how terrible and overrated they are (in effect, underrating them). Players not linked to us and who end up not choosing Freo are talked up as incredibly good players and the missing link in our team (and in fact, overrated by our fan base). This allows fans to lament in the fact that we can't get anyone "we actually need"

See for example, the discourse around Luke Jackson when he was linked to Freo, and the discourse around Shai Bolton when he is not linked to Freo. There are many examples of this. It's a perpetuating cycle that allows Freo fans to criticise the club despite the club doing something positive like attracting players. A fascinating psychological quirk of our fan base

We appear to be witnessing a repeat of the "Schrodinger's Freo Fan" phenomenon, where players are either incredibly underrated and incredibly overrated, but their ability is only decided when they are linked to Freo or not.

Most fan bases experience a similar phenomenon, in that they tend to get excited about players that want to join them, and talk them up (and arguably overrate them). The Freo element is very interesting, as our fan base tends to do the inverse, and massively talk down players linked to Freo, and post endlessly about how terrible and overrated they are (in effect, underrating them). Players not linked to us and who end up not choosing Freo are talked up as incredibly good players and the missing link in our team (and in fact, overrated by our fan base). This allows fans to lament in the fact that we can't get anyone "we actually need"

See for example, the discourse around Luke Jackson when he was linked to Freo, and the discourse around Shai Bolton when he is not linked to Freo. There are many examples of this. It's a perpetuating cycle that allows Freo fans to criticise the club despite the club doing something positive like attracting players. A fascinating psychological quirk of our fan base
Trademark Pending

Jeez I do want baker but if it's 800k then I worry who we lose for him tbh

He isn't the only piece missing for us so we can't blow it all on him

Completely fine with the trade price of our latest first rounder
tbf, 800k in the new money is like 650 in the old. Don't think we lose someone because of the cash, just the list/b22 spot in the team.

tbf, 800k in the new money is like 650 in the old. Don't think we lose someone because of the cash, just the list/b22 spot in the team.
People keep saying this but we have a bunch of players that should be valued over 650k on the old money

We desperately needed the cap to rise or we wouldn't be able to pay our talent imo.

It's all well and good to hope some stick around for less $$ but that doesn't always work, I do like our idea of flattening their pay by giving longer contracts but we still have a shit tonne of top end talent that need to be paid.

Surely if WC are willing to pay that money, then he will go to them if they are his preference

He isn't a free agent and they will have no way of satisfying Richmond at the trade table.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I assume this is just an pessimistic view rather than an optimistic view. The pessimists stormed the Capital around here a long time ago and only a flag will bring down their reign.

Who would they be willing to give up that Richmond would value?
I was more thinking they could trade say, Tom Barrass to a contender for pick 16 or so.
Or maybe Liam Duggan or McGovern for a second round pick and package it with their own to get into the late first round.
I know it’s not likely, especially Barass given he signed last year. In hindsight they should have let him go.

If I was them i would be looking to offload some of those late 20s early 30s players while they still have value.

I was more thinking they could trade say, Tom Barrass to a contender for pick 16 or so.
Or maybe Liam Duggan or McGovern for a second round pick and package it with their own to get into the late first round.
I know it’s not likely, especially Barass given he signed last year. In hindsight they should have let him go.

If I was them i would be looking to offload some of those late 20s early 30s players while they still have value.

I see your point, but if they trade Barrass to anyone they go back to losing bulk games again.

Back