• McDonald

Votes: 22 11.8%
  • Chad Warner

Votes: 120 64.2%
  • Charlie Curnow

Votes: 11 5.9%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Berry's write-up makes him sound like a Freo type given the defensive pressure.

Getting up to Moraes might be a good outcome too.

Here are the player I want.

7. Christian Moraes (7)
Eastern Ranges, Vic Metro
MID/FWD, 183cm
Talent League: 4 games, 26.0 disposals, 6.3 marks, 2.3 goals

An elite aerobic athlete boasting snappy movement with ball in hand, Moraes excites around the forward line and as an outside midfielder. He's kicking bags of goals for a powerful Ranges outfit and forms a potent combination with Smillie out of centre bounces, though hasn't proved his inside grunt work can match his dazzling play in transition.

10. Taj Hotton (11)
Sandringham Dragons/Vic Metro
FWD/MID, 182cm
Talent League: 3 games, 28.7 disposals, 7.3 marks, 1.7 goals

The big riser from last year is Hotton, a forward-turned-midfielder whose aerobic base has come on in leaps and bounds. He is composed and sharp with the footy and bites off corridor kicks with impressive accuracy. Hotton will hold onto the ball with bold evasiveness until he finds the right option.

11. Jobe Shanahan (20)
Bendigo Pioneers/Allies
FWD, 194cm
Talent League: 5 games, 12.2 disposals, 4.6 marks, 2.0 goals

Shanahan continues to impress aerially, clunking pack marks and making his presence felt leading out of the goal square. He's also spent time up the ground where his work rate gets him up and down the wings to provide an outlet out of defence. Able to leap on heads and typically an accurate set shot, Shanahan could rocket into the top-10 with a strong carnival.

14. Joe Berry (unranked)
Murray Bushrangers/Vic Country
FWD, 180cm
Talent League: 5 games, 13.6 disposals, 4.0 tackles, 3.2 goals

The in-form small forward across the country is Berry, a full-tilt pressuriser who thrives in the chaos of forward 50 contests. He's a chasedown artist, has a beautiful left foot set shot and can work up the ground to boot. Berry's defensive mentality and talent with the football will make him an in-demand small forward.

Bloody hell

Other clubs bring in players Bakers age and get the rest of the competition to pay the draft pick tax

But not good old Freo

Oh no ….. we absolutely know what we’re doing

Absolutely sure of it

Not a shadow of doubt in our minds

I swear we’ve lost more games at the trade table than we have on the field and we’ve lost a shitload on the field

On iPad using BigFooty.com mobile app

Bloody hell

Other clubs bring in players Bakers age and get the rest of the competition to pay the draft pick tax

But not good old Freo

Oh no ….. we absolutely know what we’re doing

Absolutely sure of it

Not a shadow of doubt in our minds

I swear we’ve lost more games at the trade table than we have on the field and we’ve lost a shitload on the field

On iPad using BigFooty.com mobile app
No club in the history of ever has traded in a 26 year old for more than a second round pick you're right

Would he behave here?

He got done for drink driving and coke possession 4 years ago. Not excusing it but it’s far from the most disgraceful thing a footy player has been done for, clearly not disgraceful enough for a premiership team like Geelong to not recruit him.

Having a philosophy that all our players need to be 100% squeaky clean characters who’ve made 0 mistakes in their lives might get us moral victories but it won’t win us premierships.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He got done for drink driving and coke possession 4 years ago. Not excusing it but it’s far from the most disgraceful thing a footy player has been done for, clearly not disgraceful enough for a premiership team like Geelong to not recruit him.

Having a philosophy that all our players need to be 100% squeaky clean characters who’ve made 0 mistakes in their lives might get us moral victories but it won’t win us premierships.

Is that it? That's nothing

Have seen him out in Adelaide a couple times in last 6 months

I’d be staying well away

He didn't play fwd for the year, that's insane. His average position (as judged by Champion Data) has been defence for all except 2 seasons: his first season (fwd) and this season (midfielder-fwd).

So we’re going to recruit a defender and play him predominantly as our number 1 small forward option?

Classic Freo logic - and we wonder why our offence is still so shit

So we’re going to recruit a defender and play him predominantly as our number 1 small forward option?

Classic Freo logic - and we wonder why our offence is still so s**t
Marty Deeks Facts GIF by ION

Excuse my ignorance as I don't tend to watch Richmond, what exactly would Baker add to the team? Would he be a Best 23 player for us?

The good teams have those Ryan Crowley, Matt deBoer, Reece Conca, Adam McPhee, Josh Carr type players. Baker is one of those.

We've missed Griffin Logue and Blake Acres not so much because they're stars but they bring that hard edge, team first mentality. Baker fills that role despite his size.

Have seen him out in Adelaide a couple times in last 6 months

I’d be staying well away
Also have heard things being swept under the rug down in Geelong, helps when everyone in the town goes for the same team.

Would be eaten alive in our fishbowl, best for him to stay in Geelong imo and I think he will.

Baker is another JOM for me. Provides leadership, strength and class but:

1. he's not a goal kicker - our primary need; and
2. who does he replace? Our back 7 are sorted. JOM?

And if I was Baker, why would I go to Freo. Not guaranteed first 22, at least after 1st year and low down the list for $. Whereas at WC, guaranteed starter for the rest of his career and can demand decent money, and already has his premierships. Seems a perfect match.

Our primary need are Ballas/Walters types and a superstar mid if we can crowbar them out of another club. That's what get us to contend strongly the next few years. Use the picks anyway needed to achieve that. Anything else is an unnecessary distraction.

WC probably won't play Finals this decade. You need at least a dozen good players with around 100 games under their belt to make the 8. Their good players are Allan, McGovern, Barrass, Yeo, Kelly, Reid, Waterman. 3 of those are in their 30's, so they'll be replaced by more kids. Baker is crazy if he comes home to play for a club that's likely to win 3-7 games for the next few years. That's depressing, might as well go to a Victorian team in the window.

Also have heard things being swept under the rug down in Geelong, helps when everyone in the town goes for the same team.

Would be eaten alive in our fishbowl, best for him to stay in Geelong imo and I think he will.
And if Geelong are happy for him to leave, well…..

When is the last time we had an off field incident? Character and off field discipline seem like JLo's trademarks, can't see us bringing in someone with a chequered past.

Back