• McDonald

Votes: 22 11.8%
  • Chad Warner

Votes: 120 64.2%
  • Charlie Curnow

Votes: 11 5.9%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Don't think they're happy for him to leave, he is an Unrestricted Free Agent so has full choice (due to being delisted by the Crows)
How often do the cats let players go though. You’d think that if there was a decent offer on the table, this would be pretty straightforward.

He’s not ancient or fringe.

Just a guess though 🤷🏼‍♂️

I was more thinking they could trade say, Tom Barrass to a contender for pick 16 or so.
Or maybe Liam Duggan or McGovern for a second round pick and package it with their own to get into the late first round.
I know it’s not likely, especially Barass given he signed last year. In hindsight they should have let him go.

If I was them i would be looking to offload some of those late 20s early 30s players while they still have value.
What would be the point of losing a Barrass and gaining a Baker though ?
Makes no sense

What would be the point of losing a Barrass and gaining a Baker though ?
Makes no sense
Yeah probably right.
Better than splitting pick 2 or 3 though.
I guess Barass is always injured and may not have long term durability. Baker is like a bionic man. The guy is never injured.

Yeah probably right.
Better than splitting pick 2 or 3 though.
I guess Barass is always injured and may not have long term durability. Baker is like a bionic man. The guy is never injured.
Plz don't say that or he will come over here and be injured every week

Also kind of funny timing when he has missed last game and next game with an injury

My position is that Freo will be a better side with Baker in it, even if it costs us a first round pick for him but should we miss out on him the chance that we pick up a player with that same pick who can contribute as a small forward is not zero - it is much less than Baker - but not zero. So it's not the end of the world.

Plus using two or three first round picks this season will mean we can trade our 2025 and future first for anyone out of contract end of 2025.

My position is that Freo will be a better side with Baker in it, even if it costs us a first round pick for him but should we miss out on him the chance that we pick up a player with that same pick who can contribute as a small forward is not zero - it is much less than Baker - but not zero. So it's not the end of the world.

Plus using two or three first round picks this season will mean we can trade our 2025 and future first for anyone out of contract end of 2025.

If we pick baker, I hope we don't try to play him as a small forward.

I think he improves us, but he would need to play as a utility role where he spends time at half back, wing, (high) half forward.

I don't think you get value, if you play him as a small forward for extended periods of the game.

His toughness is a big appeal, plus his ability to help our transition from defensive 50, to forward 50.

The issue I have (which is why I am not 100% on board to get him) is that he does not help our biggest need, which is 2 good small forwards.

Ideally, Emmett should be out of side, and Walters replaced with two great small forwards, who kick goals, and Switta allowed to play higher up the field.

If we pick baker, I hope we don't try to play him as a small forward.

I think he improves us, but he would need to play as a utility role where he spends time at half back, wing, (high) half forward.

I don't think you get value, if you play him as a small forward for extended periods of the game.

His toughness is a big appeal, plus his ability to help our transition from defensive 50, to forward 50.

The issue I have (which is why I am not 100% on board to get him) is that he does not help our biggest need, which is 2 good small forwards.

Ideally, Emmett should be out of side, and Walters replaced with two great small forwards, who kick goals, and Switta allowed to play higher up the field.

I'm not comparing Baker as a small forward to picking a teenager who plays small forward.

I was comparing the total output of the squad with Baker in it to that which we have to hope a teenager can fill a role in, which is usually a small forward position, if we take a player with that pick instead.

Baker needs to be the one kicking the ball to the forwards.

We shouldn't expect a teenager to come close to the contribution of a mature player except as a small forward sheltered behind some very mature tall forwards.

But even that comparison leaves a lot of maybes on the table since no player taken in the draft will be a sure thing at 14/15/16.

The Baker debate would be simpler if we all try and put out of our minds that a High Half Forward is a forward in the traditional sense of the word. They're really a more than half a midfielder. I'm think the best description is almost like a second winger that doesn't follow the ball down into the D50 but zones off instead (and the reverse for A50 stoppages).

Baker may well be coming (if he is) being offered thin side wing rotating on ball instead rather than forward, or even half back: Point is he not coming as a 1+ gpp goalkicker. He is also not going to make other players 0.5 ggp better players either, it'll be more incrementatal than than. If we want a small or medium that can kick 40/45+ it'll have to come individual improvement or a new player. Given the list of individual candidates for becoming a 40 goal genuine non key forward are pretty much limited to Emmett, Sturt and Delean, it's likely to be the latter realistically (and I am fans of all three).

Last edited:
The Baker debate would be simpler if we all try and put out of our minds that a High Half Forward is a forward in the traditional sense of the word. They're really a more than half a midfielder. I'm think the best description is almost like a second winger that doesn't follow the ball down into the D50 but zones off instead (and the reverse for A50 stoppages).

Baker may well be coming (if he is) being offered thin side wing rotating on ball instead rather than forward, or even half back: Point is he not coming as a 1+ gpp goalkicker. He is also not going to make other players 0.5 ggp better players either, it'll be more incrementatal than than. If we want a small or medium that can kick 40/45+ it'll have to come individual improvement or a new player. Give the list of individual candidates for becoming a 40 goal genuine non key forward are pretty much limited to Emmett, Sturt and Delean, it's likely to be the latter realistically (and I am fans of all three).
Yep.

Would also say that he is being brought in as a "moments" player.

Those close games that just need someone to make things happen. That under pressure know how to get it done.

Bakers toughness is underrated.
I don’t think we are tough/nasty enough.
A lot of the great teams talk about how they were tougher than everyone else. The unsociable Hawks is one example.
Dimmas Richmond team was full of snipers including baker himself.

We need more of that. We have got a handful of players like that but not enough.

Yep.

Would also say that he is being brought in as a "moments" player.

Those close games that just need someone to make things happen. That under pressure know how to get it done.
One of my conclusions thinking about the game over the last 5 years+ is ever since they bought in the anti Ross Lyon rules* (6.6.6 a little bit, kick in rule changes; but the biggest driver was the change to deliberate out of bounds) that reduced the number of stoppages, and particularly both repeat stoppages and boundary throw-in stoppages, has meant the coaches are less able to have their best players at each contest: More contests round the ground taking place between wingers and half forwards and backs etc with the ball dispute in open play.

So all other things being equal then the more players you have that can split ground balls, beat tackles (whatever: read win contests), at least slightly in their favour the better side you will be. Conversely the less place there is for role players who are weak in the contest.**

*To be fair a lot of them were doing it, he was just the public face of it.
**Wagner would have been a star 10/15 years ago.

Last edited:
Bakers toughness is underrated.
I don’t think we are tough/nasty enough.
A lot of the great teams talk about how they were tougher than everyone else. The unsociable Hawks is one example.
Dimmas Richmond team was full of snipers including baker himself.

We need more of that. We have got a handful of players like that but not enough.

Yep - an interesting thing Xav Ellis said this week, when asked at what stage he knew the premiership era Hawks were going to be a great team, was that the penny dropped once they started to be called the unsociable hawks. Would love a bit more mongrel

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Really?

"Not guaranteed first 22, at least after 1st year"

So our back 7 are: Pearce, Cox, Chapman, Walker, Ryan, Aish, Clark
- I think you'd be a clown to replace any of them with Baker

Our mids are: Fyfe, Serong, Brayshaw, Darcy/Jackson, Sharp, Johnson, and Young
- I think you'd be a clown to replace any of them with Baker

Our forwards are: Amiss, Jackson/Darcy, Treacy, Walters, Freddie, Swit/Cooper, BB

spare man is JOM

so who does he replace? JOM to become the new JOM? swap out a goal kicker for another occasional goal kicker? cause that won't solve our scoring problems.

As I said, may be a good player but in our list scrapes into the 22 as a utility when we need a super mid Fyfe-type replacement (e.g. The Chad), and small forwards that kick goals like they're on heat Ballas and Walters style in their prime. We have picks, I say we look to trade such types in.

How many do you want?

With a view to the future (min 14 games this season remaining):

Brandon Walker - 53 games (min 83 games contracted)
Jordan Clark - 56 games (min 106 games contracted)
Michael Frederick - 65 games (min 60 games contracted)
Hayden Young - 66 games (min 83 games contracted)
Sam Switkowski - 74 games (min 60 games contracted)
Bailey Banfield - 84 games (min 14 games contracted)
Caleb Serong - 89 games (min 83 games contracted)
James Aish - 90 games (min 37 games contracted)

We have fifty players in our entire history who have qualified for their sons to join Fremantle.

Nine are currently in the squad. (18%)
By the end of the season I would hope we have 12/53 in the squad (22.6%)

Currently qualifying members of the squad:
Walters, Fyfe, Ryan, Brayshaw, Taberner, Pearce, Hughes, Cox, Darcy

With a view to the future (min 14 games this season remaining):

Brandon Walker - 53 games (min 83 games contracted)
Jordan Clark - 56 games (min 106 games contracted)
Michael Frederick - 65 games (min 60 games contracted)
Hayden Young - 66 games (min 83 games contracted)
Sam Switkowski - 74 games (min 60 games contracted)
Bailey Banfield - 84 games (min 14 games contracted)
Caleb Serong - 89 games (min 83 games contracted)
James Aish - 90 games (min 37 games contracted)

We have fifty players in our entire history who have qualified for their sons to join Fremantle.

Nine are currently in the squad. (18%)
By the end of the season I would hope we have 12/53 in the squad (22.6%)

Currently qualifying members of the squad:
Walters, Fyfe, Ryan, Brayshaw, Taberner, Pearce, Hughes, Cox, Darcy
Tabs, Hugh's and possible banners on the 100 list.
Brother ewwwww.

Tabs, Hugh's and possible banners on the 100 list.
Brother ewwwww.

Tabs, Hughes and Banfield are all very big, very strong, disciplined guys.

Their sons would be giant, hard working boys who have grown up with a footy in their hands since before they could walk.

Just picture the three of them with elite skills.

We want those sons.

Warner is a star in the making. His run and carry is dynamic and he’s that attacking minded outside midfielder that we desperately need - currently ranked 10th in the league for score involvements and I reckon he’ll be higher after this game tonight.

Would love to see him purple but I worry that our stagnant and controlled style of play might restrict him and limit his output.

Warner is a star in the making. His run and carry is dynamic and he’s that attacking minded outside midfielder that we desperately need - currently ranked 10th in the league for score involvements and I reckon he’ll be higher after this game tonight.

Would love to see him purple but I worry that our stagnant and controlled style of play might restrict him and limit his output.

Why would you have a sstagnant style of play with Warner Young and Sharp on the team?

Why would you have a sstagnant style of play with Warner Young and Sharp on the team?

That’s a question for JL. I’ve long been advocating for us to play to our strengths and use our pace that we’ve got all over the ground. Yet we still play so slow for 90% of the game besides little bursts and flickers.

Tabs, Hughes and Banfield are all very big, very strong, disciplined guys.

Their sons would be giant, hard working boys who have grown up with a footy in their hands since before they could walk.

Just picture the three of them with elite skills.

We want those sons.
Banners is getting married soon :)

Reckon Chad Warner might go to the Toast. He was just on half time and said his favourite players were Judd & Cousins.

we should reunite all of them :)

Back