• McDonald

Votes: 22 11.8%
  • Chad Warner

Votes: 120 64.2%
  • Charlie Curnow

Votes: 11 5.9%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Everyone missed on Chad Warner, even Sydney passed on him 3 times for players that aren't even on their list anymore (Dylan Stevens, Will Gould, Elijah Taylor)
Agree and understand, but if we were legit we would move heaven and earth to get him now. Imagine our midfield with that gun in it - faaaarrrkk! We have warchest of money with Fyfe and Walters likely finishing in the next 18 months and likely some decent picks to get it done. Like Snoop says, you gotta pay the cost to be the Boss.

Tell me he’s not the best mid in the league right now.

Agree and understand, but if we were legit we would move heaven and earth to get him now. Imagine our midfield with that gun in it - faaaarrrkk! We have warchest of money with Fyfe and Walters likely finishing in the next 18 months and likely some decent picks to get it done. Like Snoop says, you gotta pay the cost to be the Boss.

Tell me he’s not the best mid in the league right now.
Absolutely. Get him in.

I'd like to place an order for 1 Chad Warner.

Deliver to "The ARC" 31 Veterans Parade, Cockburn Central WA 616

Cheers.

Last edited:

How. Many. Times.

Henry did not cost us Warner.

After trading up to get young and serong, our next pick was junk.

Had we not matched for Henry, we would have had to somehow have traded back in, with virtually no currency.

We were keen on Warner, no doubt. But at the time, it was either a highly rated academy prospect, that we could get with junk, or a long shot prospect in Warner (which he was at the time).
Spot on, the minute we traded 10&28 for 8 to get ahead of the bloos to secure Young and Serong before their pick, we gave up any chance of getting Warner. We could have not done that trade and then also not matched a bid on Henry and taken Young (7) Kozi (10) Warner (28) and we’d probably have a better balanced list now but that’s all hindsight hero stuff.

I'd like to place an order for 1 Chad Warner.

Deliver to "The ARC" 31 Veterans Parade, Cockburn Central WA 616

Cheers.
Yea he ticks like every single Xmas wish box from the list management team. Interesting to see how that pans out. My feel is that it would be more an option for 2025 trade period. Cal Twomey’s comments recently support this but at the same time he didn’t rule out a trade at some point with Chad wanting to come back to WA.

Spot on, the minute we traded 10&28 for 8 to get ahead of the bloos to secure Young and Serong before their pick, we gave up any chance of getting Warner. We could have not done that trade and then also not matched a bid on Henry and taken Young (7) Kozi (10) Warner (28) and we’d probably have a better balanced list now but that’s all hindsight hero stuff.

Warner went at #39, if Freo wanted Warner they could have traded back into the draft to get him the way you did the next year for O’Driscoll.

To be honest Warner wasn’t even on anyone’s radar in 2019 pre-championships, he became draftable based on his tagging role on Rowell, even then he really only showed his negating qualities.

Even when he debuted for Swans in 2020, he got 6 disposals. It really wasn’t until 2021 that he showed that he could be a damaging mid at AFL level.

For Warner it’s all about development and opportunity.

Last edited:
Seriously, how often does it need to be said. It's not like he went one or two picks after we picked either. Everyone knows you can't draft every single gun to come out of the state right?

At least Ras over NWM has some credence of hindsight hero. Lamenting not drafting Warner is just stupid

I might be in the minority but I don't think any player is worth 3 first round picks. Hell, I think only absolute champions of the game like GAJ or Buddy should even be worth 2. Player valuations have gotten so ridiculously out hand the last decade and it has firmly moved into the piss take territory.

I think to get Warner now with how he's playing you need all the following:
  • Warner ro have been open about heading back this year or next
  • Sydney to win it this year
  • Ideally Hayward re-signs or Sydney gets a different name to commit to them
  • Be willing to give up a future 1st

That gets you to the table and high off winning a flag, they might save the salary, take the picks and set themselves up for another 10 years

(Log in to remove this ad.)

sorry for the intrusion but there are some serious over rating of freo players here if baker is struggling to make best 22 for freo which is touch and go to make finals.

This guy finishes top 10 in a dynasty team that wins 3 flags and a leader VC of the club yet people are considering is he best 23 .

clearly not many hac=ve seen what he brings to the game or just dont rate tough hard work with a never take a backward step mentality

If he ends up at freo within 12 -24 months he will be rated at the top 10 players at freo
maybe not on talent but at leadership and no sh! taker level

The entire team raises when Baker as a tiny man with the biggest **** is on the ground

We will hate to lose him irrelevant of what pick is involved and some here considering if he even makes the team

Good luck for 24'
You shouldn't care so much about the opinions of people who don't know what they're talking about.
Posting here won't affect the price Freo pay for him.

You shouldn't care so much about the opinions of people who don't know what they're talking about.
Posting here won't affect the price Freo pay for him.
Plus, there's much crazier shit being said on the Richmond board

Yea he ticks like every single Xmas wish box from the list management team. Interesting to see how that pans out. My feel is that it would be more an option for 2025 trade period. Cal Twomey’s comments recently support this but at the same time he didn’t rule out a trade at some point with Chad wanting to come back to WA.
There is no way Warner requests out early while in premiership contention. If he wants to come home it will be in 2026. If they win it this year that might change things. Our main advantage over the Eagles is that we have three first rounders. It's just dockery that we have three first rounders in the wrong year. Eagles will have the upper hand in negotiations because of it.

I might be in the minority but I don't think any player is worth 3 first round picks. Hell, I think only absolute champions of the game like GAJ or Buddy should even be worth 2. Player valuations have gotten so ridiculously out hand the last decade and it has firmly moved into the piss take territory.
Wayne Carey was traded for pick 2 and 18 aged 31 in 2002. It's more back into piss take territory than anything new.

Just putting it out there, Josh Treacy isn't buyable with the first round picks Richmond currently have with two years to go on a contract.
You clearly haven't understood how Richmond are going to get him in a Baker trade as well as a first

Warner went at #39, if Freo wanted Warner they could have traded back into the draft to get him the way you did the next year for O’Driscoll.

To be honest Warner wasn’t even on anyone’s radar in 2019 pre-championships, he became draftable based on his tagging role on Warner, even then he really only showed his negating qualities.

Even when he debuted for Swans in 2020, he got 6 disposals. It really wasn’t until 2021 that he showed that he could be a damaging mid at AFL level.

For Warner it’s all about development and opportunity.
Good call. Getting sick of people saying if we wanted him we could have got him rubbish. So could have 17 other teams when he went at pick 39. At the end of the day we were always picking up Henry. The blues jumped in early as he was more projected in the 11-16 range. We should have bid on Green but whatever that second round pick we used was always earmarked for Henry not Warner regardless of him going at 9,10, or 16. We did a very late trade and got screwed over by Port to limit the points damage.

In the end our 2020 pick slid a couple of places but pick 12 or 14 in 2020 wasn’t a big issue and Chapman if he can get his injuries sorted was a good selection in 2020.

Back to Warner. If we really wanted him. We could have used a Future 2nd to get back into the draft around pick 36 when he was still on the table.

Good call. Getting sick of people saying if we wanted him we could have got him rubbish. So could have 17 other teams when he went at pick 39. At the end of the day we were always picking up Henry. The blues jumped in early as he was more projected in the 11-16 range. We should have bid on Green but whatever that second round pick we used was always earmarked for Henry not Warner regardless of him going at 9,10, or 16. We did a very late trade and got screwed over by Port to limit the points damage.

In the end our 2020 pick slid a couple of places but pick 12 or 14 in 2020 wasn’t a big issue and Chapman if he can get his injuries sorted was a good selection in 2020.

Back to Warner. If we really wanted him. We could have used a Future 2nd to get back into the draft around pick 36 when he was still on the table.
I donot think many teams rated Warner. Our board itself never talked about warner.
Our favourites were Dylan Stephens, Ash, Devon Robertson, Sharp henry and Jackson to an extent Rivers. Even young and serong were down in our board's preferred list.

I think Sydney's player development team is doing a fantastic job. How many players they pick in 30s 40s and 50s and turn them into very good players

I think Sydney's player development team is doing a fantastic job. How many players they pick in 30s 40s and 50s and turn them into very good players
Warner is a very professional and driven individual off the field. He worked very hard to increase his speed, strength and other aspects of his game to get where he is today.

Back