List Mgmt. 2024 List Mismanagement and Trading

Remove this Banner Ad

Bring him home
Would cost us our first. Would come down to where we think the bid will come for Welsh and are we even going to be able to use it and can we get enough junk picks to match.

Would happily take Luko and let him decide where he wants to play fwd or back.

He's the right height though
We have a fair bit of height in the backline. We can carry one truly short player, when they can 1. Accumulate 2. Kick beautifully

We had Laird at half back for years, and you cannot compare his kicking to Daniel’s.

I’d argue Daniel is great fit given Smith’s decline/departure, our lack of experience, our lack of attacking half backs, and the very high value players who can open the game up with difficult kicks from the backline. He’s 28, not 30, and should have a few good years left at his peak.

Plus, on the outer at the Dogs, and from Adelaide, so might actually be gettable. Would absolutely do it for 20-30s pick.

We have a fair bit of height in the backline. We can carry one truly short player, when they can 1. Accumulate 2. Kick beautifully

We had Laird at half back for years, and you cannot compare his kicking to Daniel’s.

I’d argue Daniel is great fit given Smith’s decline/departure, our lack of experience, our lack of attacking half backs, and the very high value players who can open the game up with difficult kicks from the backline. He’s 28, not 30, and should have a few good years left at his peak.

Plus, on the outer at the Dogs, and from Adelaide, so might actually be gettable. Would absolutely do it for 20-30s pick.
Would rather go after Cumming from GWS. Wouldn't cost us any draft capital either.

Remaining OOC players in 2024

• Sam Berry - Re-sign
  • Hugh Bond - Evaluate at the end of the year, he would need a good year in the SANFL to retain.
  • Brayden Cook - Re-sign
  • Lachie Gollant - Re-sign
  • Elliot Himmelberg - Trade or delist
  • Ned McHenry - Delist
  • Lachie Sholl - Delist (club would likely re-rookie)
  • Rory Sloane - Retire
  • Brodie Smith - Retire
  • Taylor Walker - Evaluate at the end of the year, potential for one more year.

Rookies
  • Patrick Parnell - Delist
  • Will Hamill - Evaluate at end of year, if he keeps playing like he did on the weekend then keep
  • James Borlase - Evaluate at the end of the year, likely re-rookie as depth if we can
My view on the players above

Would rather go after Cumming from GWS. Wouldn't cost us any draft capital either.
Yeah Cumming would be my preference, would also provide some speed which Daniel doesn’t really have

That said, I wouldn’t be against going after both, particularly if WB are paying part of Daniel’s salary

I reckon he's not a need.

He'd potentially be a Tex replacement but Fog is already there as a like for like and we desperately need someone who will run and jump at the ball, hit the packs, take the odd contested mark but most importantly bring the ball to ground and ensure we don't give up so many intercept marks in our F50. That's not Lukosius.

Similarly I think he's surplus to requirements in our defence as he presents as very similar to what we've now spent our draft capital on in Curtin (tall, rangy, marking defender with excellent footskills).

He'd cost us a lot and it just wouldn't be draft picks and/or salary cap well spent compared to a true gun mid.

He'd potentially be a Tex replacement but Fog is already there as a like for like and we desperately need someone who will run and jump at the ball, hit the packs, take the odd contested mark but most importantly bring the ball to ground and ensure we don't give up so many intercept marks in our F50. That's not Lukosius.

Similarly I think he's surplus to requirements in our defence as he presents as very similar to what we've now spent our draft capital on in Curtin (tall, rangy, marking defender with excellent footskills).

He'd cost us a lot and it just wouldn't be draft picks and/or salary cap well spent compared to a true gun mid.
Yeah, the timing is wrong for us. Next year, certainly, but this year we have to use our 1st on either drafting a top end mid OR trading for a guy like Phillipou (if he has not already signed on to the saints). If we again neglect the midfield with our top draft pick, it will hurt us in the coming years.

Yeah, the timing is wrong for us. Next year, certainly, but this year we have to use our 1st on either drafting a top end mid OR trading for a guy like Phillipou (if he has not already signed on to the saints). If we again neglect the midfield with our top draft pick, it will hurt us in the coming years.
Need to get our ‘next gen’ mid brigade all at the club by next year

I’d suggest that includes Soligo, Rankine, Rachele, Edwards (he’s shown enough base traits to make me confident) and whoever we take with our first this off-season

Berry a possibility too, and Curtin the wildcard

Fog is not a like-for-like

Luko is as close as we are ever going to get to a Tex replacement. Once he fills out, he will have the presence to go with his football nous to be a weapon in our forward line.

I had heard he was a definite to come home but that was before he signed the extension with GC. I expect they are just wanting to cash in now rather than lose him for nothing in 2026.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Need to get our ‘next gen’ mid brigade all at the club by next year

I’d suggest that includes Soligo, Rankine, Rachele, Edwards (he’s shown enough base traits to make me confident) and whoever we take with our first this off-season

Berry a possibility too, and Curtin the wildcard
For me personally, I would be playing Curtin in the middle at SANFL level until he is confident enough in that spot to get in the AFL side and then keep him as a mid that can also sit forward OR back when resting. We should be absolutely laser focused on working him into the midfield group - he could be anything with his size, poise and kicking ability

Nothing more overrated than draft picks, especially when we're picking. Worth our current first rounder at pick 4? If it was phillipou I'd definitely trade pick 4, not sure for Luko, but I'd still probably say it's worth it.

The possible pick 4 probably wouldn't be a much better player, thats if we even happened to pick the right player.

Nothing more overrated than draft picks, especially when we're picking. Worth our current first rounder at pick 4? If it was phillipou I'd definitely trade pick 4, not sure for Luko, but I'd still probably say it's worth it.

The possible pick 4 probably wouldn't be a much better player, thats if we even happened to pick the right player.
If we could trade our future first into this year and use that for Luko - then happy.

Take a mid with the pick, Welsh with the leftovers, and look to bring in Daniel, Heyward and Cumming types.

2026 - Petty can come home as a FA.

Last edited:
Luko is as close as we are ever going to get to a Tex replacement. Once he fills out, he will have the presence to go with his football nous to be a weapon in our forward line.

I had heard he was a definite to come home but that was before he signed the extension with GC. I expect they are just wanting to cash in now rather than lose him for nothing in 2026.
Good mate of Rozee

Bring him home
Just think why Hardwick is happy to let Lukosious go .....I can tell you

1. Hardwick likes pressure / desperate players .....that ain't Luko
2. The GCS have been trying to find a role for him ....they've tried KPF, HFF, Wing, and now HB .....he's a Sholl Mk2
3. Evidence of above .....Atkins finished off 2023 in blazing fashion, got himself a new contract .....Hardwick comes along, and Atkins is gone .....you can see the type of players he wants

So if people want a player that will let you down in Finals ......well, I have given you the heads up

So you're saying they will take Murphy/McHenry off our hands?

Sold!

2. The GCS have been trying to find a role for him ....they've tried KPF, HFF, Wing, and now HB .....he's a Sholl Mk2
3. Evidence of above .....Atkins finished off 2023 in blazing fashion, got himself a new contract .....Hardwick comes along, and Atkins is gone .....you can see the type of players he wants

So if people want a player that will let you down in Finals ......well, I have given you the heads up

So he must not score well in fantasy then

Once he fills out? He's 24 this year, I don't see him getting much bigger

Remove this Banner Ad

Back