Mega Thread 2024 Media & Miscellaneous Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

He didn't qualify for father son, do people think we should have somehow completely broken the rules?

When his name gets called on draft night were we supposed to try and match the bid while not being allowed? Refuse to continue until we get our way?

hecken ridiculous lol

Ben only played 47 games for us, even if we campaigned for it, nothing would have happened
I agree.

However I also believe that new clubs should have access to F/S with one games eligibility from their inaugural list.

A lot of those lists are made up with senior players from other clubs, who will never meet the 100 game mark. That's what we should have been campaigning for, GC, GWS, WC, Crows & Port should have been behind it.

apparently we have been the no1 ball movement team in the afl over the last 6 weeks

Been thinking its been looking better the last 3 rounds or so. The final ingredients in becoming a top team over the next extended period are a) Sustaining this quality of ball movement under high pressure (Swans really broke down our movement in our forward 1/3 too consistently) b) Competing better when our mids are not on top.

Been thinking its been looking better the last 3 rounds or so. The final ingredients in becoming a top team over the next extended period are a) Sustaining this quality of ball movement under high pressure (Swans really broke down our movement in our forward 1/3 too consistently) b) Competing better when our mids are not on top.
yep, sydney level teams are the final hurdle. but, we did okay against them.

Ben only played 47 games for us, even if we campaigned for it, nothing would have happened
This is a common misconception. He played 47 games for Fremantle and 66 for Claremont in the WAFL. The AFL have allowed multiple Victoria clubs to include the VFL games in the father/son 100 game threshold whereas they denied our request. This is why we were robbed and people should be outraged at the hypocrisy and double standards of the AFL system.

I think Sydney made it more difficult, but I definitely saw on many occasions in that game we had highly selectable options that, if chosen, would've made the forward entries much more effective.

This is a common misconception. He played 47 games for Fremantle and 66 for Claremont in the WAFL. The AFL have allowed multiple Victoria clubs to include the VFL games in the father/son 100 game threshold whereas they denied our request. This is why we were robbed and people should be outraged at the hypocrisy and double standards of the AFL system.
We've been over this all before. Claremont were not one of the 4 WAFL sides we had as the pool for father sons. Even if they had allowed us an additionality rule rather than just straight 100/150 WAFL games, it wouldn't have helped.
Now Claremont were an original foundation alignment team for list concessions in 1994, but for some reason when it came to father sons they changed it to Perth. The time to complain about that was 25 years ago not now.

I think Sydney made it more difficult, but I definitely saw on many occasions in that game we had highly selectable options that, if chosen, would've made the forward entries much more effective.

Agreed and a lot of them were having the berries to move the ball on almost immediately to the likes of Amiss with a clear 3m on his opponent right in front.

This is partially true. We also had a lot of marks and shots on goal in the forward 50. On any normal day we are up at quarter time with all the momentum. The Sydney game was a weird aberration. I take more positive from it than negative.

Like how our club is getting a little noisy.
Peel works, travel is out of control.
Basics like not having a 6 day break is non negotiable.

Give us N extra home game AFL campaigners. 🥰
Totally Agre. We need more sheeit stirring coming from the deep dark depth of our club.
Some to bang the drum.

Finally got around to listening to Barra and Quarters, fair dinkum does Barra just spend as much time as can name dropping all his famous mates? Manner of speech is also similar to one of the lads in their mid-20s.

Maybe he just grinds me personally?
Only listened to the first ep when Duff left. Does not suit the medium at all.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Never been a fan of any of the talking head sports commentators from C7.All show their bias,as does the station, C7.
Refuse to watch Cousins and Barra.
But I have to say I have warmed to Ryan Daniels. Some say he is an Eagles follower, I have no idea if that is true. But to me he certainly has some empathy and thought for Fremantle.He treats our players and coach with respect.

Last edited:
I do enjoy how he goes out of his way to not state that Freo are actually any good.

Why is it so frowned upon to give us any praise in the media? We literally have people bending over backwards to avoid giving us praise
Cos we have the habit of shitting the bed so we cant be trusted yet

Champion Data are pretty much the only independent analyst, therefore they are worth listening to

Last edited:
Cos we have the habit of shitting the bed so we cant be trusted yet

It's true - the sad fact is we only have ourselves to blame. The cycle has been pretty reliably -

Freo perform well, a few wins off broadway
Freo fans start to complain no one gives us our well deserved praise.
The media starts to hesitantly talk about us as a prospect and, finally -
We get spanked in a big game against a good side (or heaven forbid, the Eagles) the same week.
Rinse and repeat.

Knock off the Pies on a Friday night prime time we'll be taken seriously, but the glaring hole in our resume is that we haven't beaten anyone above us on the ladder, which does say quite a bit when you're sitting in 9th.

It's true - the sad fact is we only have ourselves to blame. The cycle has been pretty reliably -

Freo perform well, a few wins off broadway
Freo fans start to complain no one gives us our well deserved praise.
The media starts to hesitantly talk about us as a prospect and, finally -
We get spanked in a big game against a good side (or heaven forbid, the Eagles) the same week.
Rinse and repeat.

Knock off the Pies on a Friday night prime time we'll be taken seriously, but the glaring hole in our resume is that we haven't beaten anyone above us on the ladder, which does say quite a bit when you're sitting in 9th.
Yeah but at the same time we lost to Port by only 3 and played Sydney hours after the guys found out about McCarthy. Pies will be the first real idea we have. That being said I’m not expecting much at all from us. Rate us much better chance the following week in Darwin

Yeah but at the same time we lost to Port by only 3 and played Sydney hours after the guys found out about McCarthy. Pies will be the first real idea we have. That being said I’m not expecting much at all from us. Rate us much better chance the following week in Darwin

Oh I agree with you from this side of the fence - I think we're in decent shape and I'm probably more bullish on us than the average Freo fan. But in terms of why the pundits over east aren't gushing about us, it makes sense given where we're sitting.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back