Mega Thread 2024 Media & Miscellaneous Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Fremantle Dockers’ revamped forward line is “the best I’ve seen it” according to Glendinning-Allan medallist Lachie Schultz​

Lachie Schultz discusses Freo’s forward line, his career-best season and contract status with ELIZA REILLY.
https://twitter.com/ByElizaReilly

3 min read
March 14, 2023 - 8:13PM
Lachie Schultz expects the Dockers forward line to be at their best this weekend. Picture: Will Russell/AFL Photos via Getty Images

Lachie Schultz expects the Dockers forward line to be at their best this weekend. Picture: Will Russell/AFL Photos via Getty Images

Lachie Schultz has declared there are “no excuses” for Fremantle’s new-look attack as the Dockers look to fire from the outset and build better chemistry on the run.
Nat Fyfe, Matt Taberner and Josh Treacy will spearhead the Dockers’ forward line this season despite playing just 24 combined games last year. They’ll be joined by rotating rucks Sean Darcy and Luke Jackson.

It leaves small forwards Schultz, Sam Switkowski, Michael Walters and Michael Frederick as the most consistent and stable members of the Dockers’ forward line.
Despite strong individual contributions, Fremantle finished 12th in points for last season. In the last 20 years, just two teams have won a premiership while finishing lower than eighth for points scored.
That places pressure on Fremantle’s re-shaped attack but Schultz is adamant he and his fellow forwards are up to the task.
“Naturally it does take a few games but we won‘t be using that as an excuse if we’re not firing straight away,” Schultz told CODE Sports. “We expect to be at our best this weekend. We’ve all spent enough time this summer together, building relationships and learning each other’s games inside and out.

“There shouldn‘t be any excuses for why we can’t come out firing straight away and our expectations are that we do. If we do anything else other than that, it will be pretty disappointing.
“Between the smalls, we‘ve had quite a few years playing together now and our chemistry is now really strong. I think that the talls are feeding off that chemistry and buying into our system up forward. We’re sort of looking at ourselves as a team within the team and I think we’ve got huge growth ahead of us.
“We’ve got a couple of new faces like Jacko (Luke Jackson) and Fyfey (Nat Fyfe) who have spent a lot more time down there. They’ve been huge assets and I think our forward line is functioning the best I’ve seen it.”
Schultz, 25, has emerged as one of Fremantle’s growing collection of mature age draft success stories. Drafted late in the 2018 ballot after two strong years at Williamstown, Schultz played seven games in his first season.
He hasn’t missed a beat since. The Moama product has played all but three games in the past three seasons but 2022 proved the zenith of his AFL journey to date.
Schultz kicked a career-high 30 goals to finish as Fremantle’s second-highest goal scorer behind the since-departed Rory Lobb. He also led the club in goal assists and won his maiden Glendinning-Allan derby Medal.
“I think JL (Longmuir) coming into the team as coach three years ago just instilled so much confidence in me,” Schultz said. “He really persisted with me in that role and as a person, I‘m a passionate and hardworking kind of guy. I think my personality suits the role and the way I play my footy suits the role as well.

“It was just more about getting continuity into my game, building confidence over the years and learning off my teammates and guys like Sonny Walters and Hayden Ballantyne. It‘s been a work in progress, but I think we’ve taken good steps in the last couple of years.”
As for 2023, Schultz wants to evolve his game even further and push into the midfield after spending stints on ball this pre-season.
“You look at the really good teams and they‘ve got plenty of guys rotating through their midfield and we’ve started bringing it into our game,” he said.
“If I can get up the field and provide an alternative inside and then also create a bit of confusion for opposition teams, I’m more than happy to help out. I don‘t think we’ll see a whole lot of it, but I’m just always trying to get better and add more strings to my bow.”

But, that being said, there are always more goals to be kicked.
“I think I probably left a lot of goals out there as well last season. My goal kicking accuracy wasn‘t great,” Schultz said of his 30.19 record.
“For me, it‘s just being more efficient in front of goals. And I still pride myself on bringing other teammates into the game and my assists.”
Schultz is out of contract at the end of the year and insists he is “really happy” at Fremantle despite attracting significant interest from Hawthorn when he was last on the market in 2021.
Despite that, Schultz isn’t worried about rushing the re-signing process.
“I think me, my manager and the club, we‘ve got a really good understanding of where each other are at and we’re just happy to sort of take the next few weeks as they come and then we’ll sit down and go through it all,” he said.
“I‘m just focused on playing some really good footy and helping this club achieve our ultimate goal of success.”

Fremantle Dockers’ revamped forward line is “the best I’ve seen it” according to Glendinning-Allan medallist Lachie Schultz​

Lachie Schultz discusses Freo’s forward line, his career-best season and contract status with ELIZA REILLY.

3 min read

Lachie Schultz has declared there are “no excuses” for Fremantle’s new-look attack as the Dockers look to fire from the outset and build better chemistry on the run.
Nat Fyfe, Matt Taberner and Josh Treacy will spearhead the Dockers’ forward line this season despite playing just 24 combined games last year. They’ll be joined by rotating rucks Sean Darcy and Luke Jackson.

It leaves small forwards Schultz, Sam Switkowski, Michael Walters and Michael Frederick as the most consistent and stable members of the Dockers’ forward line.
Despite strong individual contributions, Fremantle finished 12th in points for last season. In the last 20 years, just two teams have won a premiership while finishing lower than eighth for points scored.
That places pressure on Fremantle’s re-shaped attack but Schultz is adamant he and his fellow forwards are up to the task.
“Naturally it does take a few games but we won‘t be using that as an excuse if we’re not firing straight away,” Schultz told CODE Sports. “We expect to be at our best this weekend. We’ve all spent enough time this summer together, building relationships and learning each other’s games inside and out.

“There shouldn‘t be any excuses for why we can’t come out firing straight away and our expectations are that we do. If we do anything else other than that, it will be pretty disappointing.
“Between the smalls, we‘ve had quite a few years playing together now and our chemistry is now really strong. I think that the talls are feeding off that chemistry and buying into our system up forward. We’re sort of looking at ourselves as a team within the team and I think we’ve got huge growth ahead of us.
“We’ve got a couple of new faces like Jacko (Luke Jackson) and Fyfey (Nat Fyfe) who have spent a lot more time down there. They’ve been huge assets and I think our forward line is functioning the best I’ve seen it.”
Schultz, 25, has emerged as one of Fremantle’s growing collection of mature age draft success stories. Drafted late in the 2018 ballot after two strong years at Williamstown, Schultz played seven games in his first season.
He hasn’t missed a beat since. The Moama product has played all but three games in the past three seasons but 2022 proved the zenith of his AFL journey to date.
Schultz kicked a career-high 30 goals to finish as Fremantle’s second-highest goal scorer behind the since-departed Rory Lobb. He also led the club in goal assists and won his maiden Glendinning-Allan derby Medal.
“I think JL (Longmuir) coming into the team as coach three years ago just instilled so much confidence in me,” Schultz said. “He really persisted with me in that role and as a person, I‘m a passionate and hardworking kind of guy. I think my personality suits the role and the way I play my footy suits the role as well.

“It was just more about getting continuity into my game, building confidence over the years and learning off my teammates and guys like Sonny Walters and Hayden Ballantyne. It‘s been a work in progress, but I think we’ve taken good steps in the last couple of years.”
As for 2023, Schultz wants to evolve his game even further and push into the midfield after spending stints on ball this pre-season.
“You look at the really good teams and they‘ve got plenty of guys rotating through their midfield and we’ve started bringing it into our game,” he said.
“If I can get up the field and provide an alternative inside and then also create a bit of confusion for opposition teams, I’m more than happy to help out. I don‘t think we’ll see a whole lot of it, but I’m just always trying to get better and add more strings to my bow.”

“I think I probably left a lot of goals out there as well last season. My goal kicking accuracy wasn‘t great,” Schultz said of his 30.19 record.
“For me, it‘s just being more efficient in front of goals. And I still pride myself on bringing other teammates into the game and my assists.”
Schultz is out of contract at the end of the year and insists he is “really happy” at Fremantle despite attracting significant interest from Hawthorn when he was last on the market in 2021.
“I think me, my manager and the club, we‘ve got a really good understanding of where each other are at and we’re just happy to sort of take the next few weeks as they come and then we’ll sit down and go through it all,” he said.
“I‘m just focused on playing some really good footy and helping this club achieve our ultimate goal of success.”
That’s Glendinning-Allan Medallist and Friend of the Board Lachie Schultz.

Pav on the All-Australian selection committee - delicious!
Yeah I don’t know so much. On the broadcasts he sometimes tries so hard to be neutral that he almost comes across as anti-Freo. Not always, but sometimes. I hope he doesn’t take that into this role.

Yeah I don’t know so much. On the broadcasts he sometimes tries so hard to be neutral that he almost comes across as anti-Freo. Not always, but sometimes. I hope he doesn’t take that into this role.
Glen Jakovich still being on the committee should ensure he doesn’t go too far the other way.

I think his comments about our depth are unfortunately close to the mark.

We are still a young side and a lot falls onto the shoulders of Brayshaw and Serong. If one or both of them go down, I don't think we'd trouble the top 6-8 teams.

There's not a lot of experience in the shed when it comes to the midfield.

We are still a young side and a lot falls onto the shoulders of Brayshaw and Serong. If one or both of them go down, I don't think we'd trouble the top 6-8 teams.

if melbourne lost petracca and oliver theyd suffer, if brisbane lose dunkley and neale theyd suffer, sydney lose mills and warner theyd suffer, not exactly a great analysis imo

3 min read

Flagmantle, 2023. Confirmed

if melbourne lost petracca and oliver theyd suffer, if brisbane lose dunkley and neale theyd suffer, sydney lose mills and warner theyd suffer, not exactly a great analysis imo
Of course teams suffer if they lose their best players.

The important bit is do they have experience under their belt to cover for those players. For us, our next mids to be called up have buckets of talent and potential, but little else. It's just a fact of where our list is at.

Sydney is probably in our boat regarding their mids, but Melbourne and Brisbane both have experience across the park and in the sheds to cover the loss of their stars better than we do.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

This is the world and the way we often think in it, isn't it? I mean...to some degree.

What if I go outside my door and a 3 wheeled taxi runs up the kerb and hits me?! What if a get on the plane and the pilots are drunk, or even worse, West Coast fans? What if I go in the woods for a bit of twiggy wiggy woo with a buxom Swedish blonde only for the Yowie/Yeti/Hairy sweaty Betty to take a liking to some creamy boobie and maul me to death..?!

Okay, so I'm prone to a bit of wacky hyperbole - but I can't understand why it's always a NEGATIVE potential outcome. I laugh (for realz) at all the crystal ball predictions on the AFL website going back a few years now, I wonder what percentage actually gets it right?! I don't even know who Sarah Olle is, I know she's good at AFL-Journo speak. That's about it. Her and Nat almost speak in exactly the same cadence, much like Pav's been trained to do his desk reading in the Channel Nine style (Channel Nine? I think he's on there, I don't even care...).

What if............we just happen to go on and win the Premiership? What if it's our year? What if I throw a few bucks on the lotto and see what becometh? Who knows....your luck might be just around the corner. I mean...it's more likely no, than yes. But if I believed that nothing good what come out of ANYTHING, I'd never do f***ing anything! And I've had my fair share of unreal disappointments. I've had my world shattered and come crashing down on more than one occasion. But maybe it's about to change. Why not us?

It's a serious question. Why. Not. Us?

I wonder if Richmond fans, if they were honest - believed after finishing 13th in 2016 they could or would win the flag the following year? Melbourne in 2020? We beat Melbourne in the wet in 2020, they didn't look like a team about to go on the rampage in 12 months and win the flag. And yes, they're Victorian teams...and they get advantages, but so do other Victorian teams. My point is....you just never quite know. If it's your time, it's coming. Maybe Freo will never have 'their time', but I don't believe that....this is a different feeling to pre-2020 Freo, the draft and to some degree the trading has tipped us this way. On a trajectory that feels...."right".

I know we're young. I know we're REALLY young! And the data tells you, no no no! But....we're really talented. I know a lot of 'outsiders' will scoff at that, but we are...we have incredible depth, more so than ever. We just don't know if that collective depth is kismet-aligned yet to deliver the Big Dance....this year. Maybe it's not, but why throw in the towel beofre a ball is even bounced. Belief is very powerful, even if in some cases it's not always rational. But it's the starting point, the fundamental building blocks for the ultimate pursuit of glory.

I can't help but think of Alan Hansen in the EPL all those years ago - "you can't win anything with kids"....and of course, it's usually always mostly true. But sometimes those kids go a bit alright....after all, you only have to play better than your opponents on the day to win. Kick more!

If we can kick more, we're winning. It's so simple, and yet...it's so much more than that. But we have what it takes. We just don't know if this is IT yet, but the excitement comes from the pursuit, and then ultimately...that one major victory. All in a year. And things can change in a year so easily, sometimes for the bad....but sometimes for the better.

But, here we are. Round 1 is fast approaching. We're back around again, the revolving door of life. And so I say:

Why not us?

Yes there is. Brodie, Aish, Switta to name a few. All capable in the middle.

Mick’s assumed we’ll have the same game plan going into this year, but players have already said they’d reviewed that semi loss to Collingwood extensively. We already know we’ll be starting games faster. And the onus isn’t just on Nat to kick more goals, but also Tabs, Treacy and Jackson.

Yes there is. Brodie, Aish, Switta to name a few. All capable in the middle.

Mick’s assumed we’ll have the same game plan going into this year, but players have already said they’d reviewed that semi loss to Collingwood extensively. We already know we’ll be starting games faster. And the onus isn’t just on Nat to kick more goals, but also Tabs, Treacy and Jackson.
right on. The onus is on the collective; kick more goals, get better, win more games. Become a Premiership winning team :)

Feel that Barlow is writing for his target audience there.
West Australian readers would mostly be Toast supporters, right? Gives them something to cling to.

So he writes a false and negative article to keep his job

But aside from that, there’s still a lot of maybes and what-ifs.

It’s not exactly a definitive piece

No it isn't definitive

It's funny some media ask JL questions such as your premiership window has started and you are a genuine chance,while others suggest Freo won't even make the 8.

So contradictory

The key tenet with all this is we are still a young side.

Young sides are often inconsistent, hard to gauge, lack depth and are sometimes underestimated.

When the holy triumvirate of Bell, Longmuir and Garlic first started waxing lyrical about the journey we were about to embark upon, a key message they gave us was this journey was aiming for sustained success. There was to be no sugar hit or no quick nooky. This was all about setting us up for a prolonged era of finals football, with many, many bites at the cherry.

Not being widely exalted as the next big thing is fine. Some of the naysayers may even be correct that we stagnate a bit this year. That's ok, as long as there's growth in our youth, game plan and sense of belief.

Sing it Karen...:musicnotes:We've only just begun...:musicnotes:

It appears that Freo are on the nose to most critics. Even Barlow has said we will miss the eight.
The Gurus from the East Coast have all but wiped us out. Even most of the gurus here in WA seem to be ditching us.
So I hope the boys have plenty of sharp instruments to jam in places that never see the sun.:):):)

Re Micky B article:
It's one thing looking at the 18 teams and ordering them based on who you think is better. Doesn't mean a lot. Like most, you need to get on a ladder predictor and look at the likelihood of who wins the actual games to be played in an uneven draw. 'Better' teams always finish lower than where they are predicted the start of the year. Yes, there are upsets and a couple of teams improve dramatically and a couple drop out (usually from injuries etc.) but at this time of year, you can only really create a ladder off the predictor. I have Freo about 5th as do most I see around the traps so if they want to improve on that they will need to win against the better teams and stop the losses to weaker teams. 9th would mean a number of really bad losses.

And of course injuries to top mids will affect any team. Petracca and Oliver out cannot be replaced by any depth, regardless how experienced. Result is Melbourne would start losing.

As for Collingwood and their fast style. Well they had 12 games decided by 7 points of less, including against Adelaide, Essendon, North, Gold Coast, and Hawthorn. Could have very easily gone the other way in various games by the bounce of a ball. Worked for them in 2022 but not a sustainable style I'd want to focus on too much.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back