Preview 2024 Mid Season Draft Prospects & Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

MSD Info

Full list of MSD Nominees

Last edited:

BoomerRoo what’s your thoughts on this young Tassie kid?
In short, great kid, should've been picked up last year (I thought he was off to Adelaide, unfortunately for Geordie, that never happened). But personally, he's not where I'd go for our #1 pick.

I've not watched as much of him this year, as I have in previous years, I think roos_fanatic08 summed Geordie up best with this line "Love his intensity and he has a bit of speed, but there is a bit of Kayne Turner about him".

His kicking needs to improve, it's not bad but can be better, and apparently he's working on it diligently! Good hands, good footy nous, hates getting beaten, I can see him developing/benefitting greatly from being in an AFL "club system". Jack Riewoldt Medalist, so he's got some talent!

My biggest issue, where does he best fit for us?

In short, great kid, should've been picked up last year (I thought he was off to Adelaide, unfortunately for Geordie, that never happened). But personally, he's not where I'd go for our #1 pick.

I've not watched as much of him this year, as I have in previous years, I think roos_fanatic08 summed Geordie up best with this line "Love his intensity and he has a bit of speed, but there is a bit of Kayne Turner about him".

His kicking needs to improve, it's not bad but can be better, and apparently he's working on it diligently! Good hands, good footy nous, hates getting beaten, I can see him developing/benefitting greatly from being in an AFL "club system". Jack Riewoldt Medalist, so he's got some talent!

My biggest issue, where does he best fit for us?
A lot of the positives you list are what we desperately need.

We would be stupid not to get him, i really hope we don't go for a med size zurhaar replacement or a undersized mid who apparently look solidly built.

We need key forward, i.e. 195cm+ key forward.
Between Curtis, Ford, Stephenson, and Duursma, I'm pretty confident we don't need another mid size forward.

MID-SEASON HUNT ON

THIS weekend's results will shape the order of next week's mid-season rookie draft, with up to 25 selections now able to be used around the competition.

Clubs will advise the AFL this week of their intentions on how many spots they are likely to open due to long-term injuries and retirements, but have until next Tuesday to formalise the movements given there could still be injuries from round 11.

The draft order will be reverse ladder order depending on which clubs have selections, with only Geelong, Greater Western Sydney and Sydney without potential vacant spots. However, the Giants have Josh Fahey set to miss three-to-four months with a foot injury and will consider placing him on the inactive list to open a position.

Brisbane (potentially four picks) and Kuwarna (three) are the clubs with the most vacant positions, while Carlton, Collingwood, North Melbourne, Richmond and the Western Bulldogs all have two.

Essendon, Walyalup, Gold Coast, Hawthorn, Narrm, Euro-Yroke and Waalitj Marawar all have one open spot.

Currently, the order of the top-five picks sees North Melbourne at No.1, Richmond at No.2, Waalitj Marawar at No.3, Hawthorn at No.4 and Euro-Yroke at No.5.

Nominations for the mid-season draft close this week with clubs expected to use around 15 or so selections at this stage next Wednesday night when recruiters will log in remotely to make their picks.

DRAFT HUB Click here for the latest draft news

As reported earlier this month in Inside Trading, the AFL came close to introducing pick trading for this year's mid-season draft after a push from clubs.

"We had a really good look at it and there was some support for it," the AFL's head of player movement Ned Guy told Gettable.

"What we were mindful of as we work through the competitive balance feedback and projects we'll look into is there's some intersections in a few of these projects and to introduce that now runs probably ahead of what we might look into, for example greater flexibility in trading future picks which could have an effect on that.

"We thought we'll do the homework on that and look to introducing that in the future." – Callum Twomey

(Log in to remove this ad.)

MID-SEASON HUNT ON

THIS weekend's results will shape the order of next week's mid-season rookie draft, with up to 25 selections now able to be used around the competition.

Clubs will advise the AFL this week of their intentions on how many spots they are likely to open due to long-term injuries and retirements, but have until next Tuesday to formalise the movements given there could still be injuries from round 11.

The draft order will be reverse ladder order depending on which clubs have selections, with only Geelong, Greater Western Sydney and Sydney without potential vacant spots. However, the Giants have Josh Fahey set to miss three-to-four months with a foot injury and will consider placing him on the inactive list to open a position.

Brisbane (potentially four picks) and Kuwarna (three) are the clubs with the most vacant positions, while Carlton, Collingwood, North Melbourne, Richmond and the Western Bulldogs all have two.

Essendon, Walyalup, Gold Coast, Hawthorn, Narrm, Euro-Yroke and Waalitj Marawar all have one open spot.

Currently, the order of the top-five picks sees North Melbourne at No.1, Richmond at No.2, Waalitj Marawar at No.3, Hawthorn at No.4 and Euro-Yroke at No.5.

Nominations for the mid-season draft close this week with clubs expected to use around 15 or so selections at this stage next Wednesday night when recruiters will log in remotely to make their picks.

DRAFT HUB Click here for the latest draft news

As reported earlier this month in Inside Trading, the AFL came close to introducing pick trading for this year's mid-season draft after a push from clubs.

"We had a really good look at it and there was some support for it," the AFL's head of player movement Ned Guy told Gettable.

"What we were mindful of as we work through the competitive balance feedback and projects we'll look into is there's some intersections in a few of these projects and to introduce that now runs probably ahead of what we might look into, for example greater flexibility in trading future picks which could have an effect on that.

"We thought we'll do the homework on that and look to introducing that in the future." – Callum Twomey

Why and when the hell did Waalitj Marawar and Euro-Yorke join the comp? Give me a spell

Why and when the hell did Waalitj Marawar and Euro-Yorke join the comp? Give me a spell
It’s a gesture for two weeks. Not hard to follow and if you’re not into it, it will be over soon.

It’s too much isn’t it mate. Sick of it, just tokenistic, virtuous crap.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back