Training 2024 Pre-season training

Remove this Banner Ad

I agree we need to bolster our wings the way the game has moved. Why I am not sure why Dale has not been tried there. Others can play his role in defense but has been noted by all we do not have a genuine top level winger at the moment and with his move back Dale has developed all of the attributes required now

I know right - he was trialled there early but didnt work out. More experienced now though.

If Clarke works out OK in the forward line, I do wonder if Cody couldnt play wing. He loves leading at the ball and would offer a great target for our defenders to kick to - in theory

I'm tending to agree.

Coffield Jones JJ
Dale JOD Richards
Daniel

We can list Bramble as the sub and move Daniel up the ground later on. Daniel has plenty of matchups with guys like Chandler, Spargo & Laurie not hugely threatening. Against plenty of other teams, we'd need to bring in Buku for additional aerial support.
You don’t rate Buku ahead of JOD atm ?
He plays like a CHB and whilst listed as 191cm, he plays much taller.
Has not put a foot wrong through pre season and I will be staggered and disappointed if he does not play round 1.

Has not put a foot wrong through pre season and I will be staggered and disappointed if he does not play round 1.

Buku might make the team, but he is nowhere near JOD. JOD is easily our best defender after Jones.

I remember watching the last game of of 2022 v Hawthorn. Roarke was clearly one of the best on. Got us into finals
Yep I remember that game.

He was one of our best in the first half of the 2021 GF imo.

Had we won, his career would be spoken about a little differently.

I think he'll play, but I wouldn't put Buku and JOD in the same category of player. Buku is a 190cm utility. He can't play key defender.

On SM-A505YN using BigFooty.com mobile app

The fact we drafted Freijah and have trialled Gags there this pre-season suggests the MC hold a similar view.
Gags looks like he could develop well to the outside wing role. Like the pace that he showed, still a little under developed physically could probably use another preseason to harden to stick his tackles a little better. Believe there is a bit to work with there though.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So whats holding him back from being a midfield spot then? what areas does he need to work on?
Running speed and running defensively has been his issue. In close no issues.
He is aware of his weaknesses and had in last season’s preseason done additional running training with Bont but unfortunately got injured during preseason. Looks like he has continued to work on it

Is wanting to be mid a status thing or something else? Especially if you show talent in another position.
Reality is that every young player wants to be a mid or key position player as that will be where they made their name as a junior.
It’s why I find ridiculous the criticism often directed at coaches that they are playing players out of position. And I’m not just talking Bevo, you can go to any club forum to hear that criticism.
The art of good coaching is to find to player’s positions that best suit your list not simply playing a player in their favourite or even best position

Reality is that every young player wants to be a mid or key position player as that will be where they made their name as a junior.
It’s why I find ridiculous the criticism often directed at coaches that they are playing players out of position. And I’m not just talking Bevo, you can go to any club forum to hear that criticism.
The art of good coaching is to find to player’s positions that best suit your list not simply playing a player in their favourite or even best position
Half the battle these days is to find players with the mental flexibility to play multiple positions, alot can't adapt Mid game to change of roles and alot won't swap from game to game due to ego.

Microwaving is far too easy these days.

I still remember as a youngster my mates dad tearing up his membership (the old clip off ones like bus tickets) in front of Malthouse as he crossed the ground after a game from his wing coaches box.
I would have to digitally destroy mine I don’t even get the card anymore. Not that I would anyway

McNeil had an almost game but his two behinds were the wind dragging the ball into the post at the last second. Overall he was pretty solid and should be in line for round one.

Harmes was good, not spectacular but should stay in.

Vandermeer was poor and I don't think he played after half time.

Daniel was very good when he came on in the second half.

Gallagher does some nice stuff but he's too lightly built. Needs another season of physical development.
VDM was concussed

It speaks volumes for how much of a mess our wings are that he and Poulter are serious candidates to fill one or both wing roles next week.

Ive seen nothing over the pre-season that suggests we are any closer to settling this issue than we were a year ago.

Its an indictment on the club that we are likely to see another season of musical chairs rotating a long list second stringers in search of a solution again this year.

During last weeks game when the Hawks went on a 5 goal spree in the second it was a direct result of how poor our wings were at stopping the hawks going directly through the wings. We only wrested control of that game in the second half because our mids lifted as the Hawks tired. The wings will be the achilles heal of our side all season and will probably be the difference between us making finals and wasting another season.
LOL what OTT nonsense
An indictment on the club seriously??? FFS all cubs have their weaknesses. What would you do trade Jammara for a couple Of wings?

Freijah and perhaps O’Driscoll are legitimate attempts to solve this problem. The club deserves credit for that even if it’s a couple of years too late.

However neither could be expected to be ready to play senior football early in their first season out of juniors. Hence the ongoing merry go round of mature age hopefuls like Baker, Poulter etc. With a bit of luck one of those might make the grade.

There’s also Bedendo who might have made a winger by now (if not a HFF/HBF) but has had a wretched run with injuries.

So it’s not as if the club hasn’t tried.
It’s an indictment on anyone who hasn’t seen the club is trying to address its issues

I think he'll play, but I wouldn't put Buku and JOD in the same category of player. Buku is a 190cm utility. He can't play key defender.

On SM-A505YN using BigFooty.com mobile app
If you're very very very good at that height you can get away with it: e.g. 188cm Dane Rampe.

If JOD is fit I'm not sure Buku plays. TBH I wouldn't rush JOD back for round 1 as it's a long season and Buks seems to have improved quite a bit over the pre-season. No way he could handle 90%+ TOG in past years, as he did against the Hawks.
I imagine if Coffield misses games or drops form during the year Buks is the logical choice to come in for him too.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back