Training 2024 Pre-season training

Remove this Banner Ad

Must admit

It's refreshing that our "bottom" players are not overall spuds like in the past
I remember this being the claim last pre-season, too..........

Good signs from some of these lower rung players by the sounds but I don't know how much I trust any of it yet.

Out of interest, to all the people having melts about how much we paid to move up to pick 4 (into 6), how much are you enjoying the preseason hype for sanders?

If theres one thing weve done well over the last decade, its our first round draft picks

In fairness, wasn’t it mostly oppo fans harping on that we overpaid?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

How’s Watson going? Are the Hawks fans gloating over their astute pick?
No less than they already do with the rest of their list. Yes they beat Collingwood and us but still finished with less wins than the year before (I know they cleaned house with all the experienced players, but players). Their key backs and forwards are still super thin, luckily Mitchell seems to be a legit coach. No way they sniff 10 wins like a lot of pundits are suggesting.

I remember this being the claim last pre-season, too..........

Good signs from some of these lower rung players by the sounds but I don't know how much I trust any of it yet.
Yep they need to push now. The bottom group wasn’t as good as we expected so plenty of opportunity to jump ahead and we’ve let a few go (too late for some).

Yep they need to push now. The bottom group wasn’t as good as we expected so plenty of opportunity to jump ahead and we’ve let a few go (too late for some).
I know we’re always biased but I think it’s pretty clearly better this year on the bottom end with absolute battlers like McComb, OBrien & Hannan gone, and the likes of Bruce, Croz & McLean who were AFL level footballers but well and truly past their best for quite some time. Harmes & Coffield in who are definitely afl level (questions on fitness for Coff) and then another year into the draftees who were never gonna impact last year but could this year, as well as Sanders who is as ready to go as any to come into the league.

So yeah you can’t get carried away but it’s pretty clearly better at the bottom end this year IMO, I guess we’ll see

Our 2023 picks we gave up ended up being 13 and 23 with 2024 TBD for pick 6 and still got Croft at 15. Once you break it down it isn't that bad at all.
Agree, especially when you look at some of the live trades on draft night showing the premium being paid to move only marginally up the order (as well as those apparently being turned down):
  • Adelaide adding a F2 to swap #11+#15 for #8+#17
  • Essendon adding #31 to move from #11 to #10
  • GWS adding F2 to move from #18 to #17

I know we’re always biased but I think it’s pretty clearly better this year on the bottom end with absolute battlers like McComb, OBrien & Hannan gone, and the likes of Bruce, Croz & McLean who were AFL level footballers but well and truly past their best for quite some time. Harmes & Coffield in who are definitely afl level (questions on fitness for Coff) and then another year into the draftees who were never gonna impact last year but could this year, as well as Sanders who is as ready to go as any to come into the league.

So yeah you can’t get carried away but it’s pretty clearly better at the bottom end this year IMO, I guess we’ll see
That's a lot riding on two role players though. Harmes was not exactly a popular figure amongst Dees fans over the past couple years, has had I think three hamstring injuries in 18 months, and finished the year in the VFL. Coffield hasn't played AFL since 2021.

If either of those two don't manage to have an impact, we are suddenly relying on first- or second-year players to make a big leap and replace 34 games (combined total of the outs you mention).

Don't get me wrong, I'm feeling optimistic too. Everything's on a seesaw though. One or two shrewd additions can tip us in the direction you're suggesting, but similarly a couple misses and we might struggle. The outs you mention offered almost nothing, but they were generally preferred to almost a third of the list. If not enough players manage to jump them we could end up with worse out there.

That's a lot riding on two role players though. Harmes was not exactly a popular figure amongst Dees fans over the past couple years, has had I think three hamstring injuries in 18 months, and finished the year in the VFL. Coffield hasn't played AFL since 2021.

If either of those two don't manage to have an impact, we are suddenly relying on first- or second-year players to make a big leap and replace 34 games (combined total of the outs you mention).

Don't get me wrong, I'm feeling optimistic too. Everything's on a seesaw though. One or two shrewd additions can tip us in the direction you're suggesting, but similarly a couple misses and we might struggle. The outs you mention offered almost nothing, but they were generally preferred to almost a third of the list. If not enough players manage to jump them we could end up with worse out there.
I think the fans are just happy that our list depth has been recruited from a different, more 'traditional' manner (players who are 18 year old draftees and players who have played contributing games at league level for other clubs, even if recent form isn't present), even if it isn't necessarily the best strategy.

Nah, I was very grumpy about giving up our F1. The trade felt extremely lopsided to me.

I just always looked at it as 13 for Croft (assuming we would have had to use it on him if we hadn’t traded it) and 23 and F1 for 6. Even if you say it’s 23 for Croft and 13 and F1 for 6, it’s still a great trade, as long as were don’t fall off a cliff this year.

I'm also optimistic but more due to the changes in the footy department. If they get the mix and game plan right the doggies could have a great season.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back