Preview 2024 Rd 10 Carlton v Sydney Friday 17th May 7:40PM AEST @ SCG

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Team is in …

IN:
Jack Carroll, Orazio Fantasia, Caleb Marchbank, Zac Williams
OUT: Adam Cerra (hamstring), Matthew Cottrell (foot), Jack Martin (calf), Lachie Cowan

Round 10 team v Sydney
Backs:Brodie KempJacob WeiteringAlex Cincotta
Half-backs:Caleb MarchbankMitch McGovernNic Newman
Centreline:Zac WilliamsPatrick CrippsBlake Acres
Half-forwards:Ollie HollandsTom De KoningElijah Hollands
Forwards:Harry McKayCharlie CurnowMatthew Owies
Followers:Marc PittonetSam WalshMatthew Kennedy
Interchange:Jordan BoydJack CarrollOrazio Fantasia
Corey DurdinGeorge Hewett
Emergencies:Lachlan CowanJaxon BinnsLewis Young

It's interesting stats and impact. Cowan 4 disposals none in the second half! Yet thought he was supe influential. Durdin 7 disposals and only thing I recall was his hand pass score assist.
Cowan had 7 spoils, was playing defensively, so weird he hasnt shown the dashing running plays he had as a junior at AFL level yet. If he can work that into his game he will be very good.

Cowan had 7 spoils, was playing defensively, so weird he hasnt shown the dashing running plays he had as a junior at AFL level yet. If he can work that into his game he will be very good.
Why does the dash of our halfback recruits disappear. I don't see boyd, cowan or cincotta carry the football

OUT: Cerra ( inj )
IN: Cuningham ( sub)

I think Newman and Hewett have been out of form the last couple of weeks- but against their old Club on a ground they know well will more likely than not play well.

Line ball calls would be Durdin for Cuningham and Kemp or Cowan for Williams - I'd like to see both these inclusions.

Defensive structure and execution ranged from best all year to chaos against MElbourne- more good than bad - with main culprits being Newman and Kemp in little episodes of sillies.

Ollie played his best quarter for the year in Q1 against Melbourne, but faded badly as the game went on - in his position he is more obvious when he makes errors because he is always there presenting. I dont like the repeat getting tackled from behind- they cost momentum and goals - but just as poor is his failure to stick with his man along the boundary- he allowed 3-4 one two gives to Melbourne simple school boy errors. I think he is being played because Cottrell is more dangerous as a HFF and just as defensive stoopid at times as Ollie.

I think we win this one.

I’m genuinely interested to know what you thought Durdin did last night that was impressive?

I’m not trying to be a smart arse. I’ve watched the game twice now and saw nothing good from him last night.
The goal assist to Hewy, our only goal of the last quarter was very good and obviously super important.

But I too feel he is not doing enough and when right Motlop will replace him.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Swans are a bit of an unknown. At present they've had a draw that's really aligned well for them. Playing Pies when they were off, GWS and Melbourne at the advantageous SCG, * at the SCG but still conceded over a 100 points. And we know they've lost to the Tigers.

They are gettable need a good solid 4 quarter effort though.

I’m genuinely interested to know what you thought Durdin did last night that was impressive?

I’m not trying to be a smart arse. I’ve watched the game twice now and saw nothing good from him last night.
Finished watching the replay and I’m comfortable that Durdin was much better this week.
Not over egging his influence - clearly is on the periphery and is not a natural forward like Motlop.
However, he didn’t miss a tackle, give away a free kick or turn the ball over. There was no glaring run from the Melbourne backline where he was exposed. He directly impacted goals and a couple of instances which should have been goals. Not a blow by blow account but some examples of good work by Durdin —

1st qtr

15:30 front and centre take in F50 and handball which leads to Walsh goal

2:40 gets back in defence and spoils/attempts to mark 30m out disrupting Melb in D50

2nd qtr
18:30: effective defensive spoil v much taller Lever

8:10 good front and centre - wins free kick. Ordinary kick but play ultimately ends with a point

3:08 great tackle in centre square stopped Melbourne attack

3rd qtr

12:15 lead up and mark. Perfect hand off to Walsh who should have goaled from 35m

4:50 handball receive in F50 probably should have kicked for goal rather than handball

4th qtr

19:30 broken play gather near goal square and handball to Hewitt who goals

13:31 ground ball gather and good forward handball in centre square. Sets up the play but Hollands gets caught

A couple of other points of note from the replay —

We were on 70 points when Cerra went off with 10 minutes of playing time left in 3rd quarter. Just 1 goal and 1 point for the remainder of the game.

Martin was a non event beyond one mark in the first quarter.

Kemp is getting better but gets exposed for positioning/poor decisions too often.

Newman is a watch down back. Speed of game is catching up with him.

Kennedy destroyed - yes destroyed - Petracca in the midfield and probably caused the move forward, yet you want him omitted? Also, Pitto just beat or at the very least squared up against the best ruckman in the league and again you want him out? Sorry Jim - you've lost me with these 2 specifically.
I'm sorry but did he not kick 3 goals and directly assist two others while in midfield?

Kennedy scrapped on the inside, but he left him completely loose otherwise. I get that Melbourne were going to generate goals somewhere, but that was wild.

Pittonet went at 43% disposal efficiency with 7 turnovers (6 unforced), the worst amongst our contested unit, in what was already a woefully performing unit by the conclusion of the match.

Yes he had 38% hitouts to advantage, but he was down on raw numbers due to getting spanked by Gawn. Grundy will destroy him.

If we're tearing strips off Cuningham for lowered defensive effort while creating 3 goals coming back from injury, we should be blasting fit senior players for these performances.

I'm sorry but did he not kick 3 goals and directly assist two others while in midfield?

Kennedy scrapped on the inside, but he left him completely loose otherwise. I get that Melbourne were going to generate goals somewhere, but that was wild.

Pittonet went at 43% disposal efficiency with 7 turnovers (6 unforced), the worst amongst our contested unit, in what was already a woefully performing unit by the conclusion of the match.

Yes he had 38% hitouts to advantage, but he was down on raw numbers due to getting spanked by Gawn. Grundy will destroy him.

If we're tearing strips off Cuningham for lowered defensive effort while creating 3 goals coming back from injury, we should be blasting fit senior players for these performances.
Absolutely not, no

No.

Kennedy was on Petracca in the first quarter, and we all know how many goals Melbourne kicked before quarter time.

After that it sounds like Kennedy played mostly on Viney.

Jim, Pitto dominated Gawn early, he isn't getting dropped, nor is Kennedy

Its fictional analysis

Absolutely not, no

No.

Kennedy was on Petracca in the first quarter, and we all know how many goals Melbourne kicked before quarter time.

After that it sounds like Kennedy played mostly on Viney.

So we're lauding Kennedy - and apparently Pittonet - for a single quarter? What are you even arguing for, mediocrity and flippant defensive responsibility in midfield?

Improve the midfield that can't arrest the manic slide after the manic start... hint: it's mostly slow and lacks genuine body strength.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back