Preview 2024 Rd 10 Carlton v Sydney Friday 17th May 7:40PM AEST @ SCG

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Team is in …

IN:
Jack Carroll, Orazio Fantasia, Caleb Marchbank, Zac Williams
OUT: Adam Cerra (hamstring), Matthew Cottrell (foot), Jack Martin (calf), Lachie Cowan

Round 10 team v Sydney
Backs:Brodie KempJacob WeiteringAlex Cincotta
Half-backs:Caleb MarchbankMitch McGovernNic Newman
Centreline:Zac WilliamsPatrick CrippsBlake Acres
Half-forwards:Ollie HollandsTom De KoningElijah Hollands
Forwards:Harry McKayCharlie CurnowMatthew Owies
Followers:Marc PittonetSam WalshMatthew Kennedy
Interchange:Jordan BoydJack CarrollOrazio Fantasia
Corey DurdinGeorge Hewett
Emergencies:Lachlan CowanJaxon BinnsLewis Young

I think this is very true, and Russell is probably gone. But who signed off on this? It's a pretty brave/radical/risky move to do what they did, and if it pays off great. But if it doesn't, you basically break your players and ruin the season. I can't believe there's a world where Russell tries a new approach and everyone just goes along with it. Ultimately Brad Lloyd is answerable.

Sure, be innovative and take risks. But this level of risk taking seems negligent to me. Was our big plan for improvement this year to train the players harder so they could outrun the opposition? Was that it? If so, there's a football department wide issue here.

As far as I can tell the club has been more aggressive on getting fitness levels up and pushing the players but at the same time not pushing the more vulnerable ones eg I remember reading they don’t have McGovern do sprints during training or on the ground

And from what I recall Jack Martin recovered from his last injury a month ago and has been in conditioning since then in lieu of playing in the VFL and I’m confident they only played him in the AFL once he was more than ready to play - so it’s not clear at this stage if this is bad luck or Martin just wasn’t ready or whether his body is even more fragile than thought

Of course the club better figure it all out quickly because injuries could make us fall out of the top 4 and make it much harder to contend - if we bring pressure and work hard we can win all our games but the team hasn’t put together more than a quarter or two of high pressure in any game yet

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

How much extra fitness can you get out of our starting 22 anyway - almost all of whom are in their 6th - 10th preseason?

It was so dumb and yes we have a whole of club issue but Russell should walk now. Not wait to be pushed. Go before he does any more damage and own the situation he created.
I very much doubt there will be any change before the end of the season.

How much extra fitness can you get out of our starting 22 anyway - almost all of whom are in their 6th - 10th preseason?

It was so dumb and yes we have a whole of club issue but Russell should walk now. Not wait to be pushed. Go before he does any more damage and own the situation he created.
Any chance that you can keep your injury rants to the threads that have been set up for them and leave this one for discussion about tomorrow night's game?

I'd play Gov forward and bring in Marchbank

Our backline has been one of the worst in the AFL this year, meanwhile our forward line is one of the best for converting inside 50’s into scores.

McGovern is a terrible forward. We recruited him to play there. Was a complete disaster. Sending him back was a last resort before being delisted.

Also means that one of TDK or Pittonet gets dropped… and we need to bring in someone else despite having zero depth left.

The end result is our back line, forward line, ruck dept and bench all get worse in this bizarre hypothetical.

Worst suggestion I’ve ever read on this forum.

Our backline has been one of the worst in the AFL this year, meanwhile our forward line is one of the best for converting inside 50’s into scores. Both our backline and forward line get worse in this bizarre hypothetical.

McGovern is a terrible forward. We recruited him to play there. Was a complete disaster. Sending him back was a last resort before being delisted.

Also means that one of TDK or Pittonet gets dropped… and we need to bring in someone else despite having zero depth left.

Worst suggestion I’ve ever read on this forum.

Not sure why we would need to drop TDK or Pitto, if we decide to send or pick another player to replace Martin

Worst take I have ever read on this forum

Wow that's 2 for 2 with Cunners and Martin. Long absence - rushed straight back into the AFL team both play ordinary games then immediately reinjure their calf the next week.

What in the name of God is going on at the club? Severe mismanagement / incompetence is the rule not the exception.
Cunners injured again...bad luck?
Martin after 1 game...coincidence?

Lets throw Marchy into the backline this week to prove your point.
Or is the clubs 'conservative' approach to injury recovery going to prevent this?

Last edited:
Newman Weitering Kemp
Boyd McGovern Cincotta
Acres Cripps O.Hollands
E.Hollands McKay Kennedy
Martin Curnow Owies
DeKoning Hewett Walsh
Binns Carroll Cowan Fantasia
sub: Williams

Don't trust Williams for full game yet
Fantasia hasn't done much but more than Durdin
Newman Weitering Kemp
Boyd McGovern Cincotta
Acres Cripps O.Hollands
E.Hollands McKay Kennedy
Durdin Curnow Owies
DeKoning Hewett Walsh
Binns Carroll Cowan Fantasia
sub: Williams

Brought Durdin back in for Martin. Still assuming Pitto doesn't get up and Williams is ok on reduced TOG%.

SENIORS
FB
11​
Mitch McGovern
23​
Jacob Weitering
24​
Nic Newman
HB
39​
Alex Cincotta
22​
Caleb Marchbank
37​
Jordan Boyd
C
13​
Blake Acres
9​
Patrick Cripps
4​
Ollie Hollands
OB
12​
Tom De Koning
7​
Matthew Kennedy
18​
Sam Walsh
HF
19​
Corey Durdin
10​
Harry McKay
20​
Elijah Hollands
FF
17​
Brodie Kemp
30​
Charlie Curnow
44​
Matthew Owies
Inter
29​
George Hewett
2​
Lachlan Cowan
6​
Zac Williams
25​
Jaxon Binns
Sub
16​
Jack Carroll

Lineup Changes
  • INS: Marchbank, Williams, Binns and Carroll (sub)
  • OUTS: Pittonet, Cottrell, Cerra and Martin

Structure Changes
  • Marchbank inclusion could allow us to move Kemp forward where he could provide that 3rd marking option (i.e. Martin) - with McKay playing relief ruck this may be useful.
  • Binns to play the 3rd winger/half forward.
  • Williams to play burst in the midfield and forward.
  • We quite literally have no other forwards left - rather not include Fantasia or play Carroll forward.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

SENIORS
FB
11​
Mitch McGovern
23​
Jacob Weitering
24​
Nic Newman
HB
39​
Alex Cincotta
22​
Caleb Marchbank
37​
Jordan Boyd
C
13​
Blake Acres
9​
Patrick Cripps
4​
Ollie Hollands
OB
12​
Tom De Koning
7​
Matthew Kennedy
18​
Sam Walsh
HF
19​
Corey Durdin
10​
Harry McKay
20​
Elijah Hollands
FF
17​
Brodie Kemp
30​
Charlie Curnow
44​
Matthew Owies
Inter
29​
George Hewett
2​
Lachlan Cowan
6​
Zac Williams
25​
Jaxon Binns
Sub
16​
Jack Carroll

Lineup Changes
  • INS: Marchbank, Williams, Binns and Carroll (sub)
  • OUTS: Pittonet, Cottrell, Cerra and Martin

Structure Changes
  • Marchbank inclusion could allow us to move Kemp forward where he could provide that 3rd marking option (i.e. Martin) - with McKay playing relief ruck this may be useful.
  • Binns to play the 3rd winger/half forward.
  • Williams to play burst in the midfield and forward.
  • We quite literally have no other forwards left - rather not include Fantasia or play Carroll forward.
Like this strategy re changes, I just think Fanta been too poor to bring
in - call me a radical selection maverick, but far happier to punt on Binns who got 42 touches in VFL last week and really has a frame not too inferior, strength wise, to Fanta

Last edited:
Forward line with McKay, McGovern, Curnow and TDK down there?

Yeah good luck with that one.

Someone like Gov is as agile and quick as Martin

But, think you are focusing on the player, rather than the concept

I mean, if you think me suggesting Gov was the worst suggestion on this forum, how do you feel about content suggesting Kemp, who isn't as agile

Mind you, we have used Kennedy forward and still had overall success with it, even though TDK and Pitto were in the side

Certainly disappointing that we are missing some of our better players, which could effect our chances

But, this group had shown much more resilience over the last year, to be able to compete with all sides

If we lose, I suspect people will double down hard on the fitness department and to a lesser extent the injury prone players

There will be no excuses, and whatever the result, i don't see it defining our season

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back