Half-backs:Alex CincottaJacob WeiteringNic Newman
Centreline:David CuninghamPatrick CrippsBlake Acres
Half-forwards:Matthew CottrellHarry McKayElijah Hollands
Forwards:Matthew OwiesCharlie CurnowTom De Koning
Followers:Marc PittonetSam WalshGeorge Hewett
Interchange:Jordan BoydAdam CerraCorey Durdin
Orazio FantasiaMatthew Kennedy
Emergencies:Jack CarrollOllie HollandsBrodie Kemp

Geelong is a far more cohesive and balanced defensive unit than collingwood. Pies are on our level in terms of points scored against - which is bottom 6.

Pies will bring the same intensity and will be keen to get their overlap game going, hurting us on the rebound. But they are profoundly poor in defence. Essendon obliterated them in clearances. We will get plenty of entries, and their defenders will struggle against our talls. We just need to kick straight.

Our boys need to find some hardness,they play too "nice".
Pitto needs to lay his body into a few next week ie Mason Cox for one. We need to find more "mongrel" instead of floating around like a Gazelle.

At some point I would like to explore Newman to a wing. He played it a lot early days. He has the tank and def has the smarts. Can’t be until mcg and saad are back, maybe even Marchy.

But we can’t be playing with one wing every week (even if that one wing is the best ******* wing in the afl).
It just shows how much we miss Doc who can play inside or out just as effectively

Pitto needs to lay his body into a few next week ie Mason Cox for one. We need to find more "mongrel" instead of floating around like a Gazelle.
I didn’t see that yesterday.

Thought we were stronger at the contest not cleaner afterwards.

We’ll encounter a similar issue with the Pies next week just think they’re a level below Geelong at the moment.

Bring the pressure, win the clearances and tidy up our disposal and we should win.

Knew we had a few injuries but was shocked to see no experienced players in the VFL (genuinely don’t think we had one player with an AFL game under their belt). We are doing well considering but hope we get gov and cerra back for this game

So much media attention on Richmond injuries..our injury list the worst in the league

Really? I don't see that at all. Actually the opposite. Under Voss we have become a very hard and tough side IMO

The constant discussion around Cuningham Owies Fantasia Durdin as forward options feels to me like shuffling chairs on the Titanic

We need Motlop Martin back and recruit some better options mid or later this year

Owies doesn’t deserve to be listed in that group.

Fantasia is proven quality and a longer term play. Not saying he will get to that level with us (quite unlikely actually) but you can understand why he is persisted with.

MSD I’d take best available KPD and best available live wire forward pocket. Just someone with pure X factor, forget pressure or tackling or gps numbers. Then in the off-season make a proper call on these players we are always wasting time waiting on.

I'm glad that teh conversation has moved on from

1. Cant play all of Cripps/Hewett and Kennedy ( the later two had ordinary games yesterday IMO)
2. Cant play Pittonet and TDK ( teh two have dominated where they should dominate since being played together - save for TDK missing 2-3 shots instead of kicking them yesterday)

Still not convinced. Has worked well last 2 weeks. Reason being is BOTH players have contributed extremely well. First quarter yesterday Pittonet looked like a young Simon Madden. He was incredible

TDK is starring and as a forward. It's a great combination. Although it seems to have effected Charlies influence

Issue for me is we lose a lot of run and rotations as game goes on. If BOTH don't play well we are in trouble.

The question still is for me if we play TDK only he is awesome around the ground, allows McKay some time around the ball where I believe he is very effective and allows us another runner. At the moment maybe not a big deal as we are missing so many players so anyone coming in isn't doing much anyway

A 5 man bench may make it a better option? It may be horses for courses?

I am open to either (if it contributes to wins) but I'd like to see it more before being convinced as I have seen it NOT work more than work. My other concern is Pittonet staying fit let along maintaining his form of last two weeks. I am sure there will be times this year where both will need rests

Time will tell

Really? I don't see that at all. Actually the opposite. Under Voss we have become a very hard and tough side IMO
We've definately improved under Voss. Im more referring to pack marks and marking over an opponent. I cant recall the last time i saw Harry or Charlie taking a pack mark and taking out their opponent. Like crash an bash marks etc. Harry floats over the top like he's too scared of hurting anyone in front of him.
A side from the few obvious tough guys ala Crippa and Walshy etc we need to find some more "mongrel" in our players.
We're gonna need it next week,the Pies will come at us hard. Watch Mason Cox take a pack mark and intentionally knee one of our guys in the head,accidentally on purpose.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We have been getting scored against far too easily.

Can't be a coincidence or bad luck that teams are unusually accurate at goal against us...

Zack Williams isn't defending well enough. Neither is Young... actually he's even worse. Kemp has poor moments still but is getting better.

Zack stays in because he does have class and if he finds form and confidence can be a weapon. Another poor game though and I'd bring Cincotta in and move Zack forward.

Young though... I've had enough. Just not up to it. I'd rather we just bring Sam in for him.

OUTS: C.Durdin, Owies, Young, Binns
INS: Cerra, Cunners, Fanta, S.Durdin

Owies was dreadful, offered nothing. Corey same. They can't keep a spot in the team with that. Bring Fantasia back in to replace Corey and Cunners to replace Owies.

Binns not ready yet.

Ollie is very lucky too... he'd be on very thin ice, we just haven't got a replacement for him at this stage.

Cowan needs to stay on his feet and not blaze away with his kicking. He'd be on thin ice too, again we don't have many options with our injury list as it stands.

Still not convinced. Has worked well last 2 weeks. Reason being is BOTH players have contributed extremely well. First quarter yesterday Pittonet looked like a young Simon Madden. He was incredible

TDK is starring and as a forward. It's a great combination. Although it seems to have effected Charlies influence

Issue for me is we lose a lot of run and rotations as game goes on. If BOTH don't play well we are in trouble.

The question still is for me if we play TDK only he is awesome around the ground, allows McKay some time around the ball where I believe he is very effective and allows us another runner. At the moment maybe not a big deal as we are missing so many players so anyone coming in isn't doing much anyway

A 5 man bench may make it a better option? It may be horses for courses?

I am open to either (if it contributes to wins) but I'd like to see it more before being convinced as I have seen it NOT work more than work. My other concern is Pittonet staying fit let along maintaining his form of last two weeks. I am sure there will be times this year where both will need rests

Time will tell
Time tells everything.

In the meantime I am happy to see Cripps smashing it in CBB and TDK being given opportunity to develop into a forward weapon - last week 3 goals this week he missed two and we lost nothing when he played ruck either.

To me it all depends on fitness - Pittonet hasn't been fit since teh game against Port last year it has taken that long for him to get over the POCL properly and we are seeing the benefits of him now.

the clearance game will step up another notch once we have Cerra in on rotations as well- and if nothing else allows for Hewett/Kennedy to rotate HBF /HFF as well - reducing the cost of carrying too many VFL /developing players against strong opposiiton.

I think we win this comfortably. Even a couple back next week helps enormously.

My changes:

Cowan for Cincotta
Cerra for Carroll
Fantasia for Hollands

Cotts to play wing.

Cuners sub. Binns out.

With the depth of our injuries and the calibre of player available, it's not a question of who provides the most upside but who is least likely to be exploited.

At the moment, Young, Carroll and Ollie Hollands are obvious weak points for various reasons. Cowan, Corey Durdin and even Williams are vulnerable. Fantasia doesn't do much offensively but you know what he'll get and he's not gonna make a lot of mistakes. Durdin, poor misses aside, has improved with ball in hand, though he's borderline for me.

If Durdin is deemed match fit, wouldn't be opposed to him for Young. Not because Durdin is a world beater. More because Young is unreliable and unpredictable and hurts us defensively. Would have preferred him to get a run in the twos today but not to be.

Carroll looks like a deer in the head lights atm and is the obvious out for Cerra. He's got some good attributes but needs a spell in the 2s to consolidate.

Hollands just too weak in the contest and not offering much offensively. Could probably benefit from reduced loads. Not sure Binns is the answer on today's showing. Cottrell might be the go, is using the ball beautifully at present.

Tough game for Cowan against a rampaging Geelong midfield, but he'd want to get the rushed kicks out of his system very quickly. A lot being asked of Williams with Saad out, and he's looking quite nervy with ball in hand.
Re Cotts to wing for Ollie, I recall Sidebottom owned him first time around last year, but Cotts was far better the second time around?

I'm glad that teh conversation has moved on from

1. Cant play all of Cripps/Hewett and Kennedy ( the later two had ordinary games yesterday IMO)
2. Cant play Pittonet and TDK ( teh two have dominated where they should dominate since being played together - save for TDK missing 2-3 shots instead of kicking them yesterday)

to a focus on the real issues that have plagued Carlton for 2 years now- and that is small forwards who cant kick goals when they need to be kicked and arent smart enough to cover for release players because they are too busy pretending to be mids when they are actually on ffgroiund to be crumbers and to cover the outside release passes in defensive fifty.

Owies and Durdin are dumb footballers and were exposed yesterday for being outplayed by their opponents.

Cuningham isnt a wold beater we all wanted him to be - but he ( like foagarty) are MUCH better options than Owies or Durdin.

Austin has to fix the fact that we HAVE to play Young and find one more small forward who is ( you know) actually a small forward.
Agree so much re Cuners observation, his pace and ability to close and tackle (or at least generate perceived pressure on backs exiting our back half) is a clear point of difference compared to the likes of Owies, Durdin and, to a lesser extent, Orazio. He kicks goals too.

We won 9 on the trot when the likes of him, Martin and Fog came into the team part way last year.

He doesn’t have to be Wayne Johnson, just better than what’s on offer.

I want him back this week thanks.

Williams was horrible last night. I know we won’t drop him and hopefully it’s a one off but his composure with the ball is greatly needed. 2-3 goals came directly from his mistakes. And 2-3 goals for us when we looked out came from his poor decision making. I’d love to see him move closer to goal while Cerra (if he comes up) or Kennedy move closer to defensive goal.

Agree so much re Cuners observation, his pace and ability to close and tackle (or at least generate perceived pressure on backs exiting our back half) is a clear point of difference compared to the likes of Owies, Durdin and, to a lesser extent, Orazio. He kicks goals too.

We won 9 on the trot when the likes of him, Martin and Fog came into the team part way last year.

He doesn’t have to be Wayne Johnson, just better than what’s on offer.

I want him back this week thanks.
Martin/Cuningham and Fogarty have been big outs in area of weakness. Cunningham and even Fantasia ( because he at least can set up a goal if not kick one) are better options - they will be slotted straight back in.

Cupboard is bare, nothing in the reserves only the 3 emergencies held over who can be selected from, looks like Cerra should be right to go don’t think we will or should risk McGovern, Young is a liability and needs to be replaced pronto…

INS: Cerra S.Durdin Binns Cincotta Fantasia
OUT: Carroll Young O.Hollands Cowan Owies

Boyd Weitering Kemp
Williams S.Durdin Cincotta
Newman

Pittonet Cripps Walsh Cerra Kennedy Hewett Acres Binns

E.Hollands McKay Cottrell
DeKoning Curnow Durdin
Fantasia

SUB: ???

The constant discussion around Cuningham Owies Fantasia Durdin as forward options feels to me like shuffling chairs on the Titanic

We need Motlop Martin back and recruit some better options mid or later this year
We have so many small forward options it's just that so many of them are injured or out of form at the moment. We need to look at other areas.

S Durdin could also come in for Young

I agree Young shouldn’t be in the team but Durdin has played such little footy at any level over the last 2 years I just can’t see it. Unfortunately I think Young has to stay until Gov and or Marchy are fit again.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back