Autopsy 2024 Rd 8 Disappointing loss for Blues

Who played well for the Blues in Round 8 vs the Pies?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Voss suggested in his presser that we may have been too focused defensively this week. Wonder if that is what's been happening the last few weeks? We seem to identify a weakness in our game, then struggle to find balance with what's been working, and it ends up costing us.

Having slept on the result my thoughts are still the same this morning: we are often outcoached but have a talent advantage over most sides that allows us to overcome weaker teams. We had zero idea how to handle Collingwood's pressure game. Voss is fine as a motivator, but needs a tactician in the box to assist.

We also have a list that lacks the necessary professionalism, discipline and football intelligence to beat well-drilled system-based teams. 3 of our smartest footballers (Saad, McGovern, Martin) being out is hurting us considerably. Our "style" makes for some exciting football at times, but I wish we were a little more boring and clinical. The phrase "dumb football" goes through my head way too many times during games.

That old chestnut again
Let’s blame the coach

Who else is to blame for our players constantly bombing the ball long without even looking where they are kicking?

If it happens one to two weeks it's on the players not listening to the coach.

If it happens game after game then that's on the coaches not coaching that poor play out of the players.

Geelong and Collingwood should have put us to the sword and absolutely smashed us. I dunno how we always stay so close and look like we can snatch it.

Periods last night Collingwood were not even troubled and should have piled on the pain.

So frustrating can’t find a handball, a target and just kicking or handballing to no one at all. Dropping easy marks.

I’m not sure to think that we are close to hitting our stride or if other teams don’t have the killer instinct to finish us.

Voss suggested in his presser that we may have been too focused defensively this week. Wonder if that is what's been happening the last few weeks? We seem to identify a weakness in our game, then struggle to find balance with what's been working, and it ends up costing us.
Why not make changes in game, so frustrating

Our players decision making is poor under pressure, they just bomb long and hope one of our talls mark the ball same crap as the start of last year. I understand we have key personel missing but We look slow have too many of the similar slow players playing the same time Eg Hewett, Kennedy. I get it we are a contested ball getting side but we have no one with blistering speed to run and carry and break the lines when they box us in or the ball gets extracted.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Who else is to blame for our players constantly bombing the ball long without even looking where they are kicking?

If it happens one to two weeks it's on the players not listening to the coach.

If it happens game after game then that's on the coaches not coaching that poor play out of the players.
Maybe the player is under pressure
Maybe the player has a low IQ and panicks
The coach is not out there actually playing

Yep. Identify a weakness and focus on it to the detriment of everything else. It’s ridiculous.

We’re a low IQ and poorly skilled side, and that will make any plan difficult to implement.

I mean, you can't just throw out an entire defensive system in game, especially when you're still developing it. And you can only develop it against opposition
Sure, but a few tweaks in game if plan B ain’t working..

Don't think that Voss knew where we broke down. Hard to how we'd combat Collingwood's defensive setup.

My thoughts after the game were did we go too defensive, and/or did we train too hard during the week? We looked tired and flat after quarter time. Selection with Young hurt us - at least Kemp is quick with ball in hand and can penetrate with his kicking.

Didn't look like we had the attacking flair from defence to break through their press either.

Voss mentioned he'll take 48 hours to review and digest. Reckon this one is partly on the coaches and he knows it.

Don't think that Voss knew where we broke down. Hard to how we'd combat Collingwood's defensive setup.

My thoughts after the game were did we go too defensive, and/or did we train too hard during the week? We looked tired and flat after quarter time. Selection with Young hurt us - at least Kemp is quick with ball in hand and can penetrate with his kicking.

Didn't look like we had the attacking flair from defence to break through their press either.

Voss mentioned he'll take 48 hours to review and digest. Reckon this one is partly on the coaches and he knows it.
I disagree on the Kemp point. He would've been mauled by Cox, he struggles on the big lumbering key forwards.

I agree that he thinks he got plenty of things wrong, but I also believe he may be of the opinion that his approach post-game last week may not be the way to go

Back