Autopsy 2024 Rd 8 Disappointing loss for Blues

Who played well for the Blues in Round 8 vs the Pies?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

We have lost 3 of our last four, last year we lost approx 8 games in a row and in 2022 we only won 4 out of last 11 after being top 4 with 1st half of the season.
Until we become more consistent over the full season we are not top four material.
We have Melbourne & Sydney next two weeks, unless there is significant improvement l would not be counting them as wins.
I'm not counting either of them as wins. But I didn't expect us to beat the giants, and we mauled them three weeks ago

Well coached vs poorly coached

Another year of the premiership window going to waste with a proven failed coach
Voss is our man…

Coaching from the bench, not so sure how much positional or tactical coaching he does, more of a motivator and gives direction…

Ash “John Barker” Hansen, does that from the box?

I still believe Pitto and TDK adds positively to our setup, but only if one of Charlie or Harry push higher up the ground

Charlie needs to get on his bike way more when playing a resting ruckman

And, when Pitto is on the pine, I'd still like to see Harry doing some ruck work

Agree with all of this.
I feel we become very predictable at times.
Constant movement opens things up.

i rate pitto too, and Tdk, the trouble is they (pitto Tdk Charlie harry) don’t do what they need to (the things you say) to make it work.
If they can’t, well we need to reconsider the ruck pairing/picking them both
Pitto doesn’t add enough beyond the bounce, Charlie is not running around using his fitness, harry was great as a second ruck but now rightly so TDK is going it. TDK looked woeful last night in CBA ruck contests, is it cos he’s not there all game?

What I don’t understand why did it take 3 quarters to work it out.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
Just not confident enough on the night to break that momentum

This is a genuine question: how much is on the players (in the moment, and generally), and how much is on the coach(es)? What needs to happen for improvement (leaving aside certain players returning)?
Both. Player execution and Voss pulling more levers. I get and mostly agree that you stay rusted on to a strategy and structure, but there are times where you need to take on a game to win it, rather than staying in striking distance, hoping to be cleaner

Agree with all of this.
I feel we become very predictable at times.
Constant movement opens things up.
Double edged sword, if we execution we are difficult to beat, a few poor options and or execution and the opposition is setup up to hurt us the other way

i am all for pitto being a huge improver and he’s been great in the ruck, but honestly, I want to see us play just TDK again.
Tdk Charlie H up front, it’s not it. Our entries and F50 structure are terrible with 2 big forwards let alone 3. It worked for us one game when TDK kicked 3.

This will probably get shot down cos pitto has been great for the clearance game

I probably have a more positive outlook re: two rucks but even still, in the above you're essentially making a case for dropping TDK, not Pitt IMO.

Last edited:
Collingwood's pressure on our ball carriers was excellent and we did not handle the pressure. Just not sure if it was up the ground issues or just decision making.

I would love Carroll to maybe work on his ability to play the Fogarty role that we're missing at the moment. He's a high half forward that tackles well and can play midfield when required. It does not seem like Fantasia, Durdin and Owies have that ability.
I'm still of the opinion that Kemp is a better option than Young, we just need more rebound from the back half and Young gets the ball and you know he will get back off the mark as quick as the titanic and he will only kick to the safest option known to man.
Williams was not calm in the back half, constantly stressed about his man and masking this by playing "aggressive".

Walsh had a strange day kicking forward, once again was this a forward issue of not creating a target or a decision making issue?

Watched the replay and first quarter or forward half entries were smart and we just lost structure when more pressure appeared.
Charlie currently is a mark it only player. His second efforts are lacking when he does not clunk a mark. Even watching him man the kick ins and he just allows the player to run off, you're much better having Owies or someone quick man the front of kick ins.

Didn't think we deserved to win that, too many passengers

Way too many to list but Williams, Fantasia and Durdin the front of the queue.

Can anyone tell me why Durdin is trying to take a speccy in a F50 contest when the ball was kicked to Harry + Pitto? Selfish, low IQ footy that should be punished with 1 month in the VFL.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Way too many to list but Williams, Fantasia and Durdin the front of the queue.

Can anyone tell me why Durdin is trying to take a speccy in a F50 contest when the ball was kicked to Harry + Pitto? Selfish, low IQ footy that should be punished with 1 month in the VFL.
durds needs some one on one coaching - we need to get betts to the club immediately 👌

Interesting, just when we thought that we had our balance of big men sorted. Last night happens. Pies looked like they had an extra running around for the last three quarter's. TDK was a bit off, I thought and Pitt outshone him easily. Doing a bit more around the ground now, is good to see.
Tom seems to excel when he is the main man, then bit ordinary when he is not. Would like to see H in the ruck for five minutes in each quarter, like he was doing a few weeks ago. He seemed to be enjoying it and was doing quite well.
Of course this would require dropping one of our rucks, Pitto is the more impressive atm.

For all the discussion around tactics and game plan it’s so hard to judge when there is a lack of effort.

What I would like to know is why we never try something different in a game to spark a reaction?

And WHY did we not try and shutdown N.Daicos? It was obvious to everyone at the ground he was on early. I don’t get it

For all the different takes on the game, it's the morning after and it all boils down to one thing - we have not learnt a single thing from the last few games against Collingwood.
That says two things 1) the game strategy group and coaching overall has been poor. 2) the natural football IQ of the players has to be questioned.

Point 1: the last few times we've played Collingwood we've been dominated by Moore because we repeatedly kick the ball high to a contest in his area.
Moore doesn't need to be BOG for Collingwood to capitalise on his contested work. All he has to do is get to around 40% or better of those contests and the runners do the rest.

Point 2: they know we've got both a lack of speed and poor foot skills under pressure, so they flood the contest and pressure the ball carrier.....oh gee (yet) another turnover!
So, my point being here, where were the runners?
Why don't the players have the confidence to think outside the square and go when it's time to seize the moment?
Acres does it but there aren't many others.

Not having foot speed is one thing but it can be overcome if you hit targets. To assist in that we need more attacking run, ie being in the right place for a handball.
Too often we see players giving off with a handball that goes behind the player, or to a player that's outnumbered.

It's not just onfield where we have to lift atm because all the systems need to be scrutinised if we are ever going to win a flag with this group.

Those using “no fogarty” as an excuse

- please stop

Yes Fogarty adds pressure but we aren’t a one man team

Plenty of well paid talent out there that should be capable of winning the match for us

It's not, but when added to the collective it does improve dramatically

Fogarty, Motlop, Martin from that forward line

Gov and Saad from the backline

We've lost 3 games by a total of 20 points, so perhaps it would have made some difference

For all the discussion around tactics and game plan it’s so hard to judge when there is a lack of effort.

What I would like to know is why we never try something different in a game to spark a reaction?

And WHY did we not try and shutdown N.Daicos? It was obvious to everyone at the ground he was on early. I don’t get it

Maybe I just live in a different era but Daicos strikes me as the perfect candidate to intimidate physically.
Why we decided to have so little touch - let alone strong physical pressure - on him around stoppages was bizarre.

Interesting, just when we thought that we had our balance of big men sorted. Last night happens. Pies looked like they had an extra running around for the last three quarter's. TDK was a bit off, I thought and Pitt outshone him easily. Doing a bit more around the ground now, is good to see.
Tom seems to excel when he is the main man, then bit ordinary when he is not. Would like to see H in the ruck for five minutes in each quarter, like he was doing a few weeks ago. He seemed to be enjoying it and was doing quite well.
Of course this would require dropping one of our rucks, Pitto is the more impressive atm.
Pittonet is predictable. Collingwood had a clear plan around stoppages based on our strategy from the past couple of weeks. They executed very well.

System

Kingy mentions it all the time about the good players getting away with far too much space to work in because they 100% committed to the “system”, back in the day he would have been tagged mercilessly. I honestly have no idea why coaches allow really good players to do as they like once the ball leaves a stoppage.

The really good ones go exactly where the ball will be going anyway, you’re not losing a defensive player in the “system”

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

It's not, but when added to the collective it does improve dramatically

Fogarty, Motlop, Martin from that forward line

Gov and Saad from the backline

We've lost 3 games by a total of 20 points, so perhaps it would have made some difference
They had degoey and Mitchell out. They are significant outs so I’m not buying into the outs …

On another note…

I wasn’t aware that generally speaking roughly 2/3 of scores are from turnovers…buckley mentioned it in the preview.

And we’re more a clearance/stoppage dominant side so we obviously have some work to do to improve our turnover game…

That’s where the big carrot is for us

And I assume we are trying to do that.

Looking at the glass half full scenario.. tough run of matches, lost two won one, if we can get another win in the next two weeks it’s a pass.

We will then start to get back some of our back line runners, bank a few wins against “lesser” teams and focus on the back end of the season.

Looking at the season as a game, we were up by a few goals in first quarter, and then kicking against the breeze In The second been pegged back a few goals, just need to hold of for a bit and then reset at half time.

Back