Autopsy 2024 Rd 8 Disappointing loss for Blues

Who played well for the Blues in Round 8 vs the Pies?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

We’re 1-3 since we dropped an extra runner and played an extra ruck. We’ve stopped running over the top of teams in the last quarter and stopped moving the ball as well around the ground.
I think it’s time to go back to one ruck and more runners in the team.

It's a fair question

I watched Pittonet and he has been great last 3 weeks but we are desperately missing run.

Is it effort, structure or game plan? I don't know

Other issue is lack of options. I like our list at the top end BUT we have way too many "so so" players that are praised for doing some good bits of play or because they worked hard defensively and that shits me. EVERY player should be working hard defensively. They then need to bring something more to the table

Really, really bad loss. Just rubbish. Really don't know what to make of it.

McKay - was mostly good but that final kick - what the actual f? This is an AA & Coleman winner in his 9th(?) year now, who's played in countless close games and still shits the bed.
Curnow - becoming Fev-like with his sulking and lack of defensive pressure. Needs a spell if he is hurt, if not then needs a rocket. Hasn't been up and about since he sewed up the Coleman vs. GWS last year.

By and large, the comparison of these two with Cameron & Hawkins is just laughable. The footy IQ and team mindset are miles apart. And with them both approaching the latter years of their 20's, they'll never reach their heights.

Young - had to play because of the Cox factor but gee whiz he is not AFL standard. Need to find a replacement stat
Fantasia - missing that goal is un-*******-forgivable. To get 4-5 touches every week and get one easy look on goal and miss that is just horrible. 28yo who's played plenty of senior footy and gets a freebie 2-year contract and can't even be relied upon for the most basic job he was bought in to do - kick a goal.
Hewett - adds a much required defensive layer to our midfield but holds onto the ball way too long and first instinct is to go backward - every. single. time.
Cuningham - doesn't find it enough and that missed handball to Walsh was cringeworthy. Had a few decent i50's when under zero pressure but that's the bare minimum.

There were others - such as Acres who tried hard, and Durdin who is still young that I won't rinse too hard. But the most rinse-worthy player is Zac Williams.

He's a problem. I haven't cringed so hard when a player is 1v1 in the d50 since Jordan Russell in his first 2 seasons. He's unaccountable, unreliable & a serial whinger. His 'dash' off half back is a myth as he is a bog-average kick. We hit our straps when he went off vs. GWS, and we played marginally better when he went off this week too. I don't want him in the defensive 50, give that role to Boyd and Cinc can take Boyd's current role, and Saad can take Williams role. Send Williams down as a small fwd as a last ditch (it cannot be worse than our current output); if he can't make that work, then ship him off and pay part of his ridiculously inflated salary. It's not personal but enough is enough with him - and I do feel bad saying that given the rough few years he has had personally.

Lastly, I sincerely hope this isn't a coaching direction - but what the heck is with the handball back/side rubbish? That game plan stopped working in 2009. All it does is slow up play, puts us under pressure and allows the opposition to get back defensively - why are we doing it? Hewett is the worst, followed by Walsh and for some ridiculous reason - Cuningham kept looking side then back whenever he got the pill - like, he's an attacking half forward; take the ******* territory and get it fwd! Once again, I'm really hoping this is a case of the players hesitating and second-guessing themselves under pressure, because if it's a coaching direction then we are in big trouble.

The positives are despite us being terribly out of form and inconsistent, we only lost by a goal. We really need to win 1 of the next 2, then take care of GC & Port if we're to push for top 4. My stomach is telling me we're not there this year though.

Cripps is an excellent leader from a motivational standpoint than strategic …bit like Voss I think

We need smart experienced footballers on the field instructing.

The instructions are two fold…

1. To teach newbies about positioning and general advice. I think we are ok with this.

2. Identify tactical changes needed during the game to swing momentum our way. Basically an extension of the coaches voice on the field.

I’m not sure we have anyone on field that is good enough with point 2.
On point 2. JSOS is under-rated in this department. We could really use his leading up the ground, tackling pressure and 1 %ers. Have seen him numerous times instructing player's to move position and to offer marking options. Such a shame that he is unavailable this season.

IMO names like Cripps McKay Walsh Weitering Acres TDK Newman are giving everything and carrying us

The form and effort of everyone else deserves to be questioned. Our bottom 6 or more is a major issue

That's why losing Docherty Saad Motlop Martin McGovern Silvagni is such a major issue. The replacements aren't that good

IMO names like Cripps McKay Walsh Weitering Acres TDK Newman are giving everything and carrying us

The form and effort of everyone else deserves to be questioned. Our bottom 6 or more is a major issue

That's why losing Docherty Saad Motlop Martin McGovern Silvagni is such a major issue. The replacements aren't that good
So frustrating that we never seem to be able to name our best 22 in the team that takes the ground.

So frustrating that we never seem to be able to name our best 22 in the team that takes the ground.

True but evidence suggest no team falls away as much when they have injuries as we do

Last years run into finals and in finals we have Docherty Silvagni McGovern Saad Martin Motlop ALL available and were a lot lot better.

IMO the difference is stark

I was talking about this last week. Jones in this team would have made us so much better. Is playing at a very high level at the Doggies.

Such a shame..
Liam has been and still is a great player. However, he is 34 I believe and father time has almost caught up with him.
Easy to forget about those regular hack, turnover's straight to oppo player's as well.

I would like to know WTF is Voss doing with Kennedy?

Had a great pre season, is fit and running well. He has good hands, tough and a good ball user. Yet, is played third forward or HB and this week Sub. Just NUTS

Play him in the middle and let him play his best role. We will be much better for it
Out of interest who would make way for him ?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I would like to know WTF is Voss doing with Kennedy?

Had a great pre season, is fit and running well. He has good hands, tough and a good ball user. Yet, is played third forward or HB and this week Sub. Just NUTS

Play him in the middle and let him play his best role. We will be much better for it
100%

He’s been in good form the speed issue doesn’t stack up, he’s are pretty zippy & he was good v them, I do not get making him sub over orazio

There’s actually a bit too this. When I see him at the odd club gig he keeps telling me how much he wants to be a mid as did so frequently at juniors.

Maybe the extra 2 years is also about us seeing him as a sharper pinch hitting mid in the future?
Vossy does love his monsters in the mid-field. Cory does have wheels and is elusive, definitely should have short bursts in there. Hopefully when Motts returns and has match fitness, I would like to see him have a go in there as well. Just five minutes to change things up.

Another thing is what is happening with Williams?

At his best he is a bloody good player. I have heard rumours for weeks he is injured and he looks it. Is it true?

He is also not a good one on one defender so we play him deep on a dangerous player. Why?

Issue for me now is all these things are just one week but a consistent issue all year so far

I’d play Cerra on a wing. Kennedy into middle

Any of Fantasia Cuningham Durdin Young should be dropped IMO

Cunners had 3 goal assists, 13 pressure acts and 2 f50 tackles... deserves to keep his spot.

Young, Durdin and Fantasia have got to go out. They are just not up to it. Durdin the only one with scope to improve imo.

Yep, and having quite a few of your more experienced players out doesn't help.
We had Cripps, Weitering, Hewett , Newman, Cerra, Acres, Williams, Harry, Charlie, Walsh, Kennedy… plenty of experienced players.

On top of that we dropped 4 less experienced players like Ollie, Binns, Carroll and Kemp. Lack of experienced players wasn’t the issue last night.

Another thing is what is happening with Williams?

At his best he is a bloody good player. I have heard rumours for weeks he is injured and he looks it. Is it true?

He is also not a good one on one defender so we play him deep on a dangerous player. Why?

Issue for me now is all these things are just one week but a consistent issue all year so far
I cant say ive seen any indication that he might be injured.

Running around just fine from what i can see but decision making has been poor for a player on his salary.

My first in-person game for a few years (here for the week from NYC) and I was pretty shocked at how disorganized we seemed out there.

Collingwood applied the pressure sure, but almost every time we had the ball in tight, our guy was literally searching ahead, beside and behind him for someone to give it off to.

In contrast, it looked like the pies players knew where a teammate would be.

So they got rid of it quickly to advantage, and we either got caught, hacked it forward or bombed it to a contest.

We’re just not a smart team. Hard to know where the blame lies… do we have too many unteachable players, or is our coaching failing us?

Back