Preview 2024 Rd 9 Carlton vs Melbourne Thursday 9th May 7:30PM @ MCG

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Team is in …

IN:
Ollie Hollands, Brodie Kemp, Jack Martin, Mitch McGovern
OUT: Zac Williams (glute soreness), David Cuningham, Orazio Fantasia, Lewis Young

Round 9 team v Melbourne
Backs:Brodie KempJacob WeiteringLachie Cowan
Half-backs:Alex CincottaMitch McGovernNic Newman
Centreline:Ollie HollandsPatrick CrippsBlake Acres
Half-forwards:Jack MartinHarry McKayElijah Hollands
Forwards:Matthew OwiesCharlie CurnowTom De Koning
Followers:Marc PittonetSam WalshMatthew Kennedy
Interchange:Jordan BoydAdam CerraMatthew Cottrell
Corey DurdinGeorge Hewett
Emergencies:David CuninghamOrazio FantasiaLewis Young

Melbourne don’t have the same approach or tools to burn us on turnover like the past two weeks.
They play a similar game - expecting it to be close again.

This plays into our hands a little bit - as it will be like two prize fighters slugging it out till one is standing - a bit like Rocky II.

Acres made a couple of mistakes but he was good and has had a great year so far

His contribution week in week out has been fantastic. Hewett the same

Least of our issues
Agree over the year Acres and Hewett have been good.

I was mainly referring to Fridays game where Cripps was double teamed and scragged, and I expected Hewett to step up but don’t think he did.

Love Acres work and effort, I just remember some bad passages where he just bombed away from defence and turned it over a couple of times.

Agree over the year Acres and Hewett have been good.

I was mainly referring to Fridays game where Cripps was double teamed and scragged, and I expected Hewett to step up but don’t think he did.

Love Acres work and effort, I just remember some bad passages where he just bombed away from defence and turned it over a couple of times.
Cripps and Walsh turn it over at least as much by not taking first option and getting caught/smothered/or giving it to someone who gets pinged.

Cripps and Walsh turn it over at least as much by not taking first option and getting caught/smothered/or giving it to someone who gets pinged.
Voss mentioned we were overpossessing by hand. Instruction seems to have been to play more direct and take the game on. Hewett's comments this morning reaffirm that.

Was fuming at Walsh in particular at the game for burning the first option, but if that was instruction, it completely fell flat.

His poise, strength & consistency is what he brings - but he was a bit one-paced in his decision making this week & these were some of the “moments” that cost us.
Those moments definitely cost us, but my first thought was that there was no talk out there. Impossible to ever know one way or the other.

Those moments definitely cost us, but my first thought was that there was no talk out there. Impossible to ever know one way or the other.
Collingwood played an extra player at stoppages. You have to assume there’s less time irrespective of advice from others.

Take the first opportunity!

I would have much preferred we brought Durdin into the mix to even up numbers & clear out F50 for the big boys.

Outside of North Melbourne we have the most leaky backline in the AFL. Wholesale change needed down that end of the ground.

OUT: Young, Williams, Cowan, Fantasia

IN: McGovern, Marchbank, Martin, Kennedy

Kennedy elevated to starting 22. Durdin sub.

Outside of North Melbourne we have the most leaky backline in the AFL. Wholesale change needed down that end of the ground.

OUT: Young, Williams, Cowan, Fantasia

IN: McGovern, Marchbank, Martin, Kennedy

Kennedy elevated to starting 22. Durdin sub.
I still think Williams will look a whole lot better with Gov/Saad back in the fold. Been made to play a more defensive role since the injuries hit and it is just not his game.

Collingwood played an extra player at stoppages. You have to assume there’s less time irrespective of advice from others.

Take the first opportunity!

I would have much preferred we brought Durdin into the mix to even up numbers & clear out F50 for the big boys.
Awareness is an issue, but trust in your teammates involves instruction as well, particularly at times like that.

I still think Williams will look a whole lot better with Gov/Saad back in the fold. Been made to play a more defensive role since the injuries hit and it is just not his game.

Jamie Elliot just wanted to take Williams to the goalsquare all game.

Williams gets exposed on the last line. Needs to play off the half back line and much further from goal.

Boyd played Elliott really well in Q4 once Williams was subbed. Coaches should have made this adjustment 10 mins into the game when it was evident that matchup was hurting us.

Jamie Elliot just wanted to take Williams to the goalsquare all game.

Williams gets exposed on the last line. Needs to play off the half back line ,icj further from goal.

Boyd played Elliott really well in Q4 once Williams was subbed. Coaches should have made this adjustment 10 mins into the game when it was evident that matchup was hurting us.
Yeh it's a tough one because Pies also had Hill and Schultz with Boyd taking one of those.

It didn't seem to stop Pittonet trying to force every tap down Cripps throat.

We had zero plan B at clearnace once Collingwood adjusted.

Kennedy has to start this week to give us another inside option.

Yeh it's a tough one because Pies also had Hill and Schultz with Boyd taking one of those.

Boyd should have played on whoever was deeper. He's an excellent 1 on 1 defender and a reliable option on the last line.

Williams takes whoever is playing further up the ground. Cannot let him be dragged to the goalsquare - ever.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Boyd should have played on whoever was deeper. He's an excellent 1 on 1 defender and a reliable option on the last line.

Williams takes whoever is playing further up the ground. Cannot let him be dragged to the goalsquare - ever.
You don't think knowing that the Pies would have just sent whoever Williams was on to the goalsqaure? Whether it was Elliot, Hill or Schultz.

Boyd should actually be playing on the higher forward, along with Williams, with Cowan deeper backman

For me it would be (pending all of these passing fitness tests)

Marchbank in for Young
McGovern in for Williams (Managed)
Martin in for Fantasia

Pretty confident that we will win this.

This is what was most disappointing - one we allowed it to happen for 3 quarters and pendlebury continually peel off late to receive and distribute - secondly we virtually had an outnumber at every stoppage and could do nothing .

Williams played in a run and gun system with no accountability as a half back - or he played half fwd - he won't sacrifice his game like Saad so with these younger defenders around him he will always be exposed in a back 6 .. when the experience comes back it will cover his deficiencies ..

He's just not that good. Would rather Boyd play his role and Cincotta play the current Williams role. We'd leak far less goals with this setup and also improve our rebound, as Boyd is a far better kick than Williams & can break lines.

Try Williams as a small fwd? Can't be worse than our current output.

Otherwise, I don't see a place for him.

This plays into our hands a little bit - as it will be like two prize fighters slugging it out till one is standing - a bit like Rocky II.
Plus Melbourne are off a 5 day break. We will likely have a few bodies back while they’re carrying viney who looked a bit lame and lever looks to have injured himself.

Does anyone have an idea why Orazio is so out of form?

I was pumped that we picked him up for nothing in off season and thought he would have shown much more

However he seems out of sorts, confidence and not playing with that energy and pep that is his trademark

Does he just need a spell to get confidence? You don’t lose all that ability overnight

Does anyone have an idea why Orazio is so out of form?

I was pumped that we picked him up for nothing in off season and thought he would have shown much more

However he seems out of sorts, confidence and not playing with that energy and pep that is his trademark

Does he just need a spell to get confidence? You don’t lose all that ability overnight
You know I thought the same thing. Is he struggling to come to grips with the new game plan and teams mates? He missed last week with "illness" but I noted he was wearing a black armband this week, did he lose someone close? Who knows but he certainly seems lost at sea ATM.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back