2024 Rolling ALL-Australian Team

Remove this Banner Ad

If you're looking for a team of the week thread, this isn't it.

I love Ridley, but unless he can manage to get in the top 10 for intercept marks, score involvements and score launches amongst defenders (and I'm talking totals) there's close to a 0% chance he gets in the squad, let alone the side.
So it’s all locked up.

So it’s all locked up.
For Ridley? Yes. He's missed too much footy. The baseline for missing a chunk of games is Gary Ablett in 2014. He played 2/3 of the season and from memory it wasn't until round 20 that he dropped out of the top 10 for disposals.

How about stats for forwards who subtly block an opponent to allow a team mate to mark? Or make a dummy lead to drag an opponent away to create space for a team mate to mark? Or for the player who puts pressure on in the forward line before a team mate comes in to lay the tackle that wins HTB?

There are any number of actions players can do to create scoring opportunities for others. Where do you stop?
Yes, that’s true - it’s already a very data rich sport suppose we go into information overload if we track everything

For instance someone like Gulden would run patterns where he knows he won’t get the ball but he drags players across opening the play up for others as a result

Impossible team to pick.

Defenders a lottery. Any of the below (in the mix) can be in.

FB: Luke Ryan -Sam Taylor- Dan Houston

HB: Nick Blakey-Steven May-Max Holmes

C: Errol Gulden-Zach Merrett(VC)-Zak Butters

HF: Chad Warner-Jesse Hogan-Christian Petrecca

FF: Kyle Langford-Charlie Curnow-Tyson Stengle

R: Max Gawn(C)-Isaac Heeney-Nick Daicos

Int: Patrick Cripps-Tom Green- Marcus Bontempelli-Caleb Serong

In the mix:

Defenders: Harris Andrews, Jacob Weitering, Alex Pearce, Nick Vlaustin, Dayne Zorko, Lachie Whitfield

Midfielders: Matt Rowell, Noah Anderson, Adam Treloar

Ruck: Brodie Grundy, Rohan Marshall

Forwards: Izak Rankine, Bailey Fritsch, Jake Waterman, Ben King, Harry McKay, Jeremy Cameron
Needs more midfielders. 11 wont cut it.

My current side:

FB: Luke Ryan - Harris Andrews - Dan Houston
HB: Max Holmes - Sam Taylor - Nick Blakey
MF: Zak Butters - Isaac Heeney - Zach Merrett
HF: Christian Petracca - Jesse Hogan - Kyle Langford
FF: Tyson Stengle - Charlie Curnow - Ben King
OB: Max Gawn - Caleb Serong - Nick Daicos
IC: Marcus Bontempelli - Chad Warner - Noah Anderson - Tom Green
Nice team :thumbsu:

Luke Ryan Sam Taylor Andrew Mcgrath
Jordan Dawson Alex Pearce Nick Blakey
Errol Gulden Patrick Cripps Chad Warner
Isaac Heeney Charlie Curnow Ja Waterman
Tyson Stengle Jesse Hogan C Petracca

M Gawn Caleb Serong Marcus Bontompelli

Ben King Jordan Clark Zac Butters Joe Daniher.

Can we talk about Harris Andrews season so far? I'm obviously bias in that I'd like Weitering to finally be rewarded after multiple years of getting snubbed for the final 22 but I feel like Andrews has been far worse than his individual stat lines look this season.

Lions are having a shocking year so far with multiple key forwards dining out on them throughout that. How much accountability does Andrews hold for that or is it more blamed on his teammates and the dysfunction further afield?

Statistically he's probably the best or close to the best performed KPD right now but in years past KPD's have been overlooked due to their overall team's defense and players from stingier teams have been selected... Stewart's practically been gifted 2 jackets simply by playing for Geelong while their team defense has been a strong point.

What are others thoughts?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Luke Ryan Sam Taylor Andrew Mcgrath
Jordan Dawson Alex Pearce Nick Blakey
Errol Gulden Patrick Cripps Chad Warner
Isaac Heeney Charlie Curnow Ja Waterman
Tyson Stengle Jesse Hogan C Petracca

M Gawn Caleb Serong Marcus Bontompelli

Ben King Jordan Clark Zac Butters Joe Daniher.
No Zach Merrett is taking the piss.

Ryan - Taylor - Blakey
Clark - McGovern - Flanders
Gulden - Serong - Merrett (C)
Petracca - Hogan - Bontempelli
King - Curnow - Rankine
Gawn (VC) - Heeney - Rowell

Warner - Butters - N.Daicos - Cripps

Few players pushing the team. Houston, Treloar, Holmes, Green, Whitfield, Waterman. Tough team to get into.

Weitering
Cripps
Curnow
Mckay
Walsh

All locked in.

Newman
Acres

Destined for the squad.

Williams making his claim for a bench spot as a lockdown defender, rebounding half back, and 4 goal a game half forward
Looks like Carlton are the one to watch out for for the flag then

Why he’s Elite
Hell no.

He's a decent defender who pads his stats with kickouts, chip kicks sideways and long bombs to 50/50 contests. There's no creativity or dare with his disposal at all.

The definition of a Supercoach player. Looks great on paper because of Freo's shitty, risk adverse game plan but does little damage to the opposition.

Joel Bowden MKII

Can we talk about Harris Andrews season so far? I'm obviously bias in that I'd like Weitering to finally be rewarded after multiple years of getting snubbed for the final 22 but I feel like Andrews has been far worse than his individual stat lines look this season.

Lions are having a shocking year so far with multiple key forwards dining out on them throughout that. How much accountability does Andrews hold for that or is it more blamed on his teammates and the dysfunction further afield?

Statistically he's probably the best or close to the best performed KPD right now but in years past KPD's have been overlooked due to their overall team's defense and players from stingier teams have been selected... Stewart's practically been gifted 2 jackets simply by playing for Geelong while their team defense has been a strong point.

What are others thoughts?
I've watched every Lions game. Andrews has been amazing. He's had his best year in some time IMO. I've watched almost every Giants game too, and I'd currently have him ahead of Sam Taylor too, but those are the 2 clear standouts.

Some of their losses would have been much worse without him. He's close to the only player that played in the Grand Final for them last year that's having a better year this year. Berry, McCarthy (pre-injury) and maybe Zorko and Dainher are the only other players I would say have been noticeably better this year than they were last year. Everyone else has regressed/stagnated or is injured.

Hell no.

He's a decent defender who pads his stats with kickouts, chip kicks sideways and long bombs to 50/50 contests. There's no creativity or dare with his disposal at all.

The definition of a Supercoach player. Looks great on paper because of Freo's shitty, risk adverse game plan but does little damage to the opposition.

Joel Bowden MKII
ELITE
One percenters
Intercepts
Score launches
defensive one on ones
Metres gained
Efficiency

ELITE
One percenters
Intercepts
Score launches
defensive one on ones
Metres gained
Efficiency
He stands in the middle of the half back line and has blokes switching the ball from both sides of the field to him just for so he can either chip it sideways or bomb it down the line to a contest, rarely ever actually doing anything of value with the ball. He also trails his opponent by 15m most of the time, is prone to a few absolute howlers per game that result directly in goals and plays in the slowest, most boring system going around which favours defenders who want to rack up meaningless touches while doing absolutely SFA once they've actually got it.

Reminds me a hell of a lot of when Aaron Hall was basically a supercoach seagul god for North and never even made the squad. Selectors knew he was just racking up trash every week padding his stats any way he could.

ELITE
One percenters
Intercepts
Score launches
defensive one on ones
Metres gained
Efficiency
Can't argue with most of that, but he's miles off elite in defensive one on ones. 1.4 per game which is 73rd in the league on average well behind Pearce (who is having an excellent season and definitely worthy of selection in the squad himself) and even behind Draper as far as Freo go.

Hell no.

Joel Bowden MKII
Jake Lloyd is another example. I love that he's reinvented himself this season and he's been very consistent for his whole career, but I'm not sure that I've ever believed he was more than a B-grader despite being a Supercoach god at his peak.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back