Autopsy 2024 Round 3 Bruising Blues Too Much For Roos

Who played well for the Blues in Round 3 vs North?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

I’m pretty happy with that. It was far from perfect. But at this stage of year it shouldn’t be. Our best footy last year was against Collingwood. It came at the wrong time in the season because we had left ourselves so much work to do to make finals. Our contest footy can’t be played over the full extent of a season. We’ll get back into that style when it really matters.

I was happy with how Marchbank worked into it before his head knock (and after a tough start).

I am more cautious on Elijah than some around here. The last quarter was good. But while I can overlook a lack of pace, I didn’t like the fumbles before that. Hopefully it was nerves, and he settles in the future. Having said that, I thought the ground looked in ordinary condition after the Pink concert. So maybe the conditions were against him.

Harry was wonderful. Cripps played a great team game. And to me, we just look focused and prepared. North are a talented young side, and tried to test us. We saw them off, and then some. The win was much easier than in the corresponding fixture last year.

On to Adelaide Oval. Freo shape as a nice little test.
I think EHollands will get better. He has flair and likes to attack on goal...and more importantly he does look for options before bombing it long

Understandably... you can see he is nervy/rusty/fumbly but he looks to have the goods.

Dew alienated him and wouldn't instruct him what he needed to get back into the best 22. I'd absolutely blame Dew. Obviously the end of the season stuff happened, but he would been much more secure if he didn't get treated like that by Dew.
Go Away Do Not Want GIF

Jack Carroll is another that is looking the goods...Nice goal and got involved

There was one passage of play where I reckon he should have went for goal when he was running into f50...instead he did the team thing but didnt result in a shot on goal.

I like his kicking action...accurate too so I think he should back himself in and take those shots. we need more goal kickers

Clinical and felt like we always had another gear to go to. Sure, we’re not playing our best footy yet but we’re 3-0 and starting to look like an increasingly professional unit that does enough to get the job done. No premiership side is at their peak in rd3, I’m really liking what I’m seeing.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Thought it was the best pressure effort this year. I really liked our forward pressure

Loving Harry as a Fwd/Ruck. Keeps him involved, confident and has a great engine

Elijah after some fumbles was very good with a lot of improvement to come. His workrate is impressive

Weitering is just a star and I’m loving the constant improvement in TDK

Didn’t like the Marchbank selection. Hasn’t played all year and didn’t deserve to come straight in. Played like a guy that had missed a lot of footy

In the end we beat a lower side like we should. We still have lots of improvement to come. Walsh Motlop Martin to come back in. Williams still finding his feet

Form of O.Hollands Cottrell Durdin a bit of a concern and I will be interested how we balance our midfield with Walsh back and Kennedy Hewett Carroll all playing well

Banked another 4 points and and improved performance. Bring on Freo

Jack Carroll is another that is looking the goods...Nice goal and got involved

There was one passage of play where I reckon he should have went for goal when he was running into f50...instead he did the team thing but didnt result in a shot on goal.

I like his kicking action...accurate too so I think he should back himself in and take those shots. we need more goal kickers
This 100% we tend to be too unselfish and sometimes you’ve just got to be the man.

Well done Baggers👍

Happy Hour Drinking GIF by Busch

Pretty good day really.

Good:
H: Phenomenal again, doing everything right now

Hewett: First half was spectacular, solid thereafter

Crippa: Unselfish, it’s like he knows he doesn’t have to be superman anymore, and it’s freed him up

Weiters/Gov: great to see weiters back, gov would want 1 kick back but his aggression was outstanding

Elijah: Really saw how fit he is as the game went on, could be a real weapon for us

Fog: The clever little flicks, and manic pressure. Doesn’t kick many goals but he’s our best small forward right now for me

Tackling: immense all day, 76 tackles and winning the count by 21 in a big win is a real tick for our intensity and work rate

Not so good:
Marchy: 4 free kicks given away leading to shots. Settled in and got better but then copped a whack, hope he’s okay

Kennedy: Thought he improved, but was pretty quiet for a large portion of the game.

Cotts: he’s covered 16kms so he’s clearly doing a lot of unrewarded work but 7 touches from a high half forward is a little concerning

A little bit cleaner and a little more direct and we could’ve won by 15 goals, that being said it was a performance that showed our power
Kennedy was fine

Did what we had to do, nothing spectacular just enough solid result.

Nah, that was a very good win.
We dominated in most facets, including pressure/turnover game and working towards our best in contests.
Not perfect in the contest but much better than we have been

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Elijah wasn't Robinson Crusoe with the fumbles... Seemed to be across the team beside a select few like George.
Our small fwds double clutch and fumble. I know owies kicked 3, Durds 2, Fogarty and E Hollands good but they are not clean off the deck. Curtis looked the class small fwd out there today

Back