Autopsy 2024 Round 3 Bruising Blues Too Much For Roos

Who played well for the Blues in Round 3 vs North?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Can not get enough of Harry McKay right now.

Going to be hard to beat if this is what he brings every week.

i hope not ..although im not sure who would make way

Carroll going nicely atm.

He hasn’t done much wrong at all, but if we are going like for like he goes out.

Ollie plays a different role and Voss and match committee clearly love his running capacity.

They set up every contest with free players on the attacking side, looked great when they won the contest and caught us napping a few times in the first half.

Would look better if they ever become a dominant clearance team.

North have done some odd list management though, they have 8 genuine midfielders, some flankers and 1 key forward.

Surely end of season Phillips and a few others are traded to look for keys?

I think our coaching staff would have thought if north want a shoot out, fine, we will blast them away if they do that, which is pretty much what happened.

They are going to have some big scores kicked on them with their lack of key defenders. Even conceded over a hundred to Freo.

I don't care what their GPS numbers are or how they defend space, but we seriously have one of the worst quartet of crumbing small fwds in the competition

This is easily the biggest flaw in our game

Solid win against inferior opposition

Reset for Freo next week

We don’t and we scored 21 goals.

Owies, Durdin and Fantasia when he came on all did well.

Motlop will be a welcome inclusion into the mix.

100% agree. I made the same comment to a mate of mine who was saying they’ll be a force in 3-4 year. Its a horribly unbalanced squad. They needed to keep Ben McKay rather than getting another midfielder. They have no key defenders and are still need another key forward. If possible we should try and pinch Will Phillips on the cheap at the end of the year.

They will have to go hard for KPPs for a while, ideally bring some good ones in who are 21-22 otherwise they will never marry up with their mids. Otherwise they end up like us 09-13 with a good midfield and cobbled together KPPs.

Wouldn’t be surprised if Kennedy is the one who makes way.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

That is also possible, I think they like Kennedy in the side cos he can go forward and his general around the ground marking is pretty good for a guy his size.

It is possible it could be Kennedy though, he’s the only real other obvious one.

Beautiful clean hands when a few others were fumbling, and takes great options. Finds a team-mate in a better position, time after time after time - it is a joy to watch.

But the thing I love most about Fogarty is that he plays with 100% intensity, 100% of the time. I think this really matters because we still have a lot of players who drift in and out of games, or who aren't necessarily switched on at the opening bounce. I thought we were a bit off for the first 5-10 minutes, and efforts from Fogarty and Boyd, just halving contests and winning contested balls, were really important in getting us rolling before North could get out to a lead that could have kept them in the game.

Such an amazing story is Fog.

Destined for the scrapheap early last year, his inclusion coincided with us returning to winning ways...obviously not just down to him but he epitomises the values of what we became that Voss was trying to implement with his intensity, selflessness and focus on contest and pressure.

Our list has improved this year and he's still cemented his spot in our best 22.

They will have to go hard for KPPs for a while, ideally bring some good ones in who are 21-22 otherwise they will never marry up with their mids. Otherwise they end up like us 09-13 with a good midfield and cobbled together KPPs.

Poor North fans, shocking list management over the last several years.

They kept going for mids and now they have too many young mids and almost no key talls or defenders...horribly imbalanced.

Obvious one that stands out is picking Will Phillips over Logan McDonald. Sure, McDonald probably wouldn't be as good as he is right now if he went to North, but point still remains they had a top Vic key forward prospect there for the taking and yet they went for a mid. I remember at the time it was seen as quite a surprise and so far it's backfired big time.

Marchy concussed probably means kemp comes back up but gee he looked abette player fwd today and I will admit I didn't like idea of lemmey back at first after all the pre season talk of his improvement bit he started to look good as a CHB -- more games under his belt I can see him playing in front of weitering..

One thing from the game I am very happy for hollands parents . As a parent it must of been difficult there son moving away to follow his dream he not getting a great run at it then the incident with police etc.. to have him close to home living with his brother and do so well today was fantastic for them ..

(Log in to remove this ad.)

They kept going for mids and now they have too many young mids and almost no key talls or defenders...horribly imbalanced.

Obvious one that stands out is picking Will Phillips over Logan McDonald. Sure, McDonald probably wouldn't be as good as he is right now if he went to North, but point still remains they had a top Vic key forward prospect there for the taking and yet they went for a mid. I remember at the time it was seen as quite a surprise and so far it's backfired big time.
Isn't Logan from Perth ?

E Hollands looked awful early and i thought what has everyone else seen in him,glad to be proved wrong.

Elijah Hollands... wow. What a game. OK it's only against North but for a high half forward in our system to get 22 possessions - that just basically never happens.

But then he's also gone at 86% efficiency / 6 inside 50s / 8 score involvements / 5 tackles / 3 clearances.

Just brilliant. Hope he can back it up against better opponents but that is a hell of a start first up.

Ollie slight dampener still struggling to get involved a bit.

Elijah and having Zac back look to be a real pluses but the biggest difference to last season without doubt is Harry's goal kicking. Early days but he just looks like he could win the Coleman. If he doesn't get 10 coaches votes I'll be shocked which makes 2 out of 3 games and he had 3 votes in the other game. He could have kicked 10 today.

North supporters sooked it up but when you go into a game with midget key defenders against Charlie + Harry they're going to give away frees.

Owies 3 goals. Undroppable. Durdin 2 but only the 4 touches. Fogarty undroppable.

I'd assume Motlop and Walsh come straight back in for Durdin + Carroll - neither of whom disgraced themselves and Kemp for Marchy. The unluckiest footballer I've seen in a while.

Losing Ben McKay didn't help. They probably should have stuck with Cadman in the 2022 draft but that would have cost them Wardlaw + Sheezel which would mean they were still short on mids. Early days but I like Cadman - a lot. I agree though Phillips over McDonald was a really dumb move.

Could be worse - they could have traded away all of their picks for Mitchell+O'Meara or Taranto+Hopper and shafted their premiership chances for 15+ years.

Looking back on how SOS built our list - going for talls early was just genius. Then nailing those talls in draft #1 was incredible really. They're almost impossible to trade for and they make winning premierships so much easier. Much rather he missed on 2 mids and a winger (dow, samo, o'brien) as we could replace them.

I don't care what their GPS numbers are or how they defend space, but we seriously have one of the worst quartet of crumbing small fwds in the competition

This is easily the biggest flaw in our game

Solid win against inferior opposition

Reset for Freo next week
Scoring power from small forwards is definitely not a strength of ours.

Key defenders is the other key weakness. We are strong, but those are obvious weaknesses of ours.

Last edited:
Coming off the bye, which last year most teams lost, it was a real solid comprehensive 56 point win against a bogey side for us. It would have been understandable if we won by just a few goals, but almost 10 was outstanding.

Elijah, Harry, Charlie, and the returning Weitering were all great. Really the whole team were great and played well as a cohesive unit. Well done boys!

Just finished watching replay. TDK looking good in the ruck. Mackay looks like he is in for an awesome year.

Good TDK ruck performances seem to be contingent on the opposition.

Seems to struggle against the big physical bruisers. Nank towelled him up last week but he did well vs North & the Big O.

I could imagine Pitto works him over physically at training.

Be interesting to see how he goes vs Jackson this week.

Elijah Hollands... wow. What a game. OK it's only against North but for a high half forward in our system to get 22 possessions - that just basically never happens.

But then he's also gone at 86% efficiency / 6 inside 50s / 8 score involvements / 5 tackles / 3 clearances.

Just brilliant. Hope he can back it up against better opponents but that is a hell of a start first up.

Ollie slight dampener still struggling to get involved a bit.

Elijah and having Zac back look to be a real pluses but the biggest difference to last season without doubt is Harry's goal kicking. Early days but he just looks like he could win the Coleman. If he doesn't get 10 coaches votes I'll be shocked which makes 2 out of 3 games and he had 3 votes in the other game. He could have kicked 10 today.

North supporters sooked it up but when you go into a game with midget key defenders against Charlie + Harry they're going to give away frees.

Owies 3 goals. Undroppable. Durdin 2 but only the 4 touches. Fogarty undroppable.

I'd assume Motlop and Walsh come straight back in for Durdin + Carroll - neither of whom disgraced themselves and Kemp for Marchy. The unluckiest footballer I've seen in a while.
Something about the way E
Hollands kicks the ball.

Back