VFL 2024 Sandringham Zebras

Remove this Banner Ad

Keeler looks to have grown in confidence as a back. His kicking is very nice and I saw him do a few good spoils too. Definitely one to watch.

Really hope Keeler or Van Es can step up to the plate, Van Es injuries is a concern. Dougal and Cordy are plugs atm until something better comes along. I dont know where Schoenmaker sits also he is a unique player at 194cm.

Luke Trainor looks high end talent in draft this year as a intercept defender 195cm and would be hard to pass up on if the top rated mids are gone by our pick. See what unfolds for our key defensive stocks this year.

Keeler looks to have grown in confidence as a back. His kicking is very nice and I saw him do a few good spoils too. Definitely one to watch.
Only last week people were saying he's being ruined playing there. Similar to Pou atm young players need to work through difficulties in order to grow. The damage of avoiding that is presented in one Mr Jack Billings' stellar career.

Really hope Keeler or Van Es can step up to the plate, Van Es injuries is a concern. Dougal and Cordy are plugs atm until something better comes along. I dont know where Schoenmaker sits also he is a unique player at 194cm.

Luke Trainor looks high end talent in draft this year as a intercept defender 195cm and would be hard to pass up on if the top rated mids are gone by our pick. See what unfolds for our key defensive stocks this year.
I think the jury is in when it comes to young intercepting defenders. If they can't do the other stuff well then they're next to useless at top level. At any rate we have Arie already and it's the FB position that's looking shakey on account of JVE's dodgy ankle.

Only last week people were saying he's being ruined playing there. Similar to Pou atm young players need to work through difficulties in order to grow. The damage of avoiding that is presented in one Mr Jack Billings' stellar career.
You can see that he has some nice attributes there. His kicking is really nicely balanced. Obviously the challenge will be defending bigger opponents, but he reminds me a bit of Nasiah, he will learn the craft and hopefully keep improving. He took 9 marks yesterday which is very good.

You can see that he has some nice attributes there. His kicking is really nicely balanced. Obviously the challenge will be defending bigger opponents, but he reminds me a bit of Nasiah, he will learn the craft and hopefully keep improving. He took 9 marks yesterday which is very good.
I'm pretty sure he's a ruck/forward and this time in defence is for development and protecting his body till he fills out. As a long term prospect we've just got to be patient.

Yes was
Quite impressed with his defence today albeit considering who the opponent was. He’s quite a strong kid, hold his ground in marking contests. Once he adjusts he will be a weapon.

Also hope we try him forward at some stage. A
195cm key forward who can roost it from 65 is a Legit threat.

We don't need him forward , a bit of work and he'll be kicking goals from half back :D

Seriously i was very impressed by the accuracy of his kicks.

Never take a key back with an early pick. If you need one later you can trade for them or pick one up from lower level like Wilkie or Sam Collins or whoever.

Never take a key back with an early pick. If you need one later you can trade for them or pick one up from lower level like Wilkie or Sam Collins or whoever.
Get a better midfield and the ball doesn't go into D50 as easily and then you can get by with an average defender.

On CPH2145 using BigFooty.com mobile app

Definitely some good signs from the Sandy game, albeit against a poor opposition.

Schoenmaker’s kicking was flawless and will be a real weapon. I’m not convinced he’s ready to defend at AFL level but he couldn’t be any worse than Bonner.

Keeler showed genuine football IQ and ability to defend (rather than just the usual raw athletic traits) and he used the ball well out of defence. I’m very optimistic at his prospects.

Collard doesn’t get a lot of it but he had 5 shots on goal, 2 quality run down tackles and 2 elite lace-out kicks to teammates inside 50. I’m confident he can hit the scoreboard and use the ball well in the AFL team.

Dow didn’t look too bad off a long lay-off, a bit rusty but showed agility and burst from stoppage.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Collard doesn’t get a lot of it but he had 5 shots on goal, 2 quality run down tackles and 2 elite lace-out kicks to teammates inside 50. I’m confident he can hit the scoreboard and use the ball well in the AFL team.

Only saw a bit of this game but what I've seen of Collard so far is that he's a low possession VFL player. We know the small forward position is starvation corner at AFL level and even more so in our forward line at the moment. He'll be lucky to get 5 possessions a game and will need to have 5+ tackles to have any impact at all. I'd be picking anyone else ahead of him at this stage personally.

Only saw a bit of this game but what I've seen of Collard so far is that he's a low possession VFL player. We know the small forward position is starvation corner at AFL level and even more so in our forward line at the moment. He'll be lucky to get 5 possessions a game and will need to have 5+ tackles to have any impact at all. I'd be picking anyone else ahead of him at this stage personally.
You’re not wrong but I believe certain positions are harder to play at a lower level due to smaller grounds and lack of structured ball movement, those being wings and small forwards. I’m also of the belief that certain players play better at a higher level and the optimist within me suspects Collard may be one of those players. Lastly, Collard strikes as the type that only needs 5 positions to bob up and kick two goals. His finishing is elite. Given our current predicament, if they can bring in some other experience, I’d be bringing him in.

I mean he does things that only AFL level talent players can do, in-fact most AFL level players can't do a lot of the things he can do.

So I think the label VFL player is underselling his talent somewhat.

He needs a body first and foremost and more experiance.

Bare in mind Hayes has missed the best part of 2 years footy..I’d still have him in next week as a forward/ 2nd ruck option.
Collard simply doesn’t have the body development to do what you’re suggesting, he’s got the build of a 15 year old..however he’ll need to come in for forward 50 balance, as he’s the only small forward available.

My gut is saying that Collard is the type that will have 4 touches and kick 2.2. Won’t make any tackles but will put plenty of chase pressure on. He will get to all the right spots on the fast break, but the delivery will have to be good because he will be pushed off it easily.

You’re right he’s light. But there isn’t much to Darcy Jones and he lit the joint up for GWS this weekend. I understand Darcy is a year older.

Collard has probably been told he’s too small all his playing life, and yet he’s always been able to contribute to the scoreboard. He has a confidence in his own abilities that will take him far in this caper. I don’t mind investing games in him.

My gut is saying that Collard is the type that will have 4 touches and kick 2.2. Won’t make any tackles but will put plenty of chase pressure on. He will get to all the right spots on the fast break, but the delivery will have to be good because he will be pushed off it easily.

You’re right he’s light. But there isn’t much to Darcy Jones and he lit the joint up for GWS this weekend. I understand Darcy is a year older.

Collard has probably been told he’s too small all his playing life, and yet he’s always been able to contribute to the scoreboard. He has a confidence in his own abilities that will take him far in this caper. I don’t mind investing games in him.

If our forward line was functional, we'd be spotting up the taller marking targets, and if they can't mark it they bring it to ground.
You can't push a crumbing forward off the ball if you don't know where he's likely to be.

Look collard is currently a moments player as are most small forwards. Not every small forward can be Toby Green, Papley etc etc. Get him an early easy one and watch his confidence grow. He is also anecelent finnisher something we need. asap.

Look at Noah Mraz in the draft profiles. Looks a likely type of tall KPD and might not cost a FRDP like Trainor. Also a Shanahan who is a forward defender who sounds okay.

Tim Watson started his AFL career as a 15 yr old. Harvs was quite old when he started at 16.
Rod Owen debuted at 16. Had a full-blown addiction and serious mental health issues not long afterwards. I mean, just to even the ledger out here.

Anyway, I think Collard could play some footy this year, but I'd rather see us develop him in the twos for the moment. He can now play a string of games (no byes for the foreseeable future!)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back