VFL 2024 Sandringham Zebras

Remove this Banner Ad

I understand we are looking at young players after our seniors season debacle, but would love Keeler to keep developing in the twos.
I really feel he needs to develop physically and we have all seen the criticism the likes of Phillipou copped for coming back after only 1 game in the magoos.
Season is shot, we shouldn't burn our prospects too early. Let him have a good block of reserve games and bring in the likes of him, Arie, Hotton, Hastie, Garcia etc progressively.
But the big question as I didn't see it is....did any forward manage to take an contested mark without dropping it? If so straight in.

On SM-S908E using BigFooty.com mobile app
Contested marks fwd - Hayes, Alison and the two ruckman.

Is he a gorilla back type? Saints don’t need any half backs or defenders, unless it’s insurance if Dougal Howard goes down.

Honestly to me he looked like an intercepting third tall, maybe like a less accountable version of Josh Battle. Hard to tell from one game but I can't imagine we need a guy with his profile. I suppose if they think he's really high potential then he makes some sense, but I don't really see it.

I wonder if he will be worth persisting for one more year? Talls can take a long time to develop.
Especially project talls

Allison has the athletic traits to make it. It's if the football part can click.

So what I’m seeing is that Allison deserves a debut next week for Sharman?

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
Nah, he’ll take King’s place. Seriously though, it’s great to see him play a good game. Last pre season I thought he looked good at training then got injured and was out for the year. Good to see him getting a solid block of games.
Time for another three year deal.

I didn't get a chance to watch today's Zebs game, obviously looking at the scores it was a smashing.

I struggle with comments such as pick Allison over Sharman after a single game smashing. Taking nothing away from Allison, but if you throw Sharman in that side as a forward and he would probably kick a bag as well.

Glad Keeler is getting noticed, he is so silky just like a taller Nas. I still think he should be a ruck/forward long term, but I will trust the process with what they are doing with him.

Hugo, Crouch & Clark look like they will be banging that door down. Not much has been said about Hastie, where did he play?

I didn't get a chance to watch today's Zebs game, obviously looking at the scores it was a smashing.

I struggle with comments such as pick Allison over Sharman after a single game smashing. Taking nothing away from Allison, but if you throw Sharman in that side as a forward and he would probably kick a bag as well.

Glad Keeler is getting noticed, he is so silky just like a taller Nas. I still think he should be a ruck/forward long term, but I will trust the process with what they are doing with him.

Hugo, Crouch & Clark look like they will be banging that door down. Not much has been said about Hastie, where did he play?
Hopefully Keeler ends up as a cross between Derek Kickett and Paddy Ryder. Fwd / relief ruck.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It was a good win but we need to temper our assessment given the opposition were so devastated by injury.

Even so Garcia, Crouch, Clark, Allison, Hotton and Hastie all had very good games. Crouch looked buggered by the end of the game, Clark got caught plenty if only he could run he would be a super star.

Garcia has a really bright future he is a class above for an 18yo and he never stops moving.

Heath finally found the form he was showing last year, he is a big clumsy kid but he has a go. Still dont think he will improve enough to make it.

Keelers spoiling, kicking and link up play is silky and when he gets stronger he is going to be some player.

Campbell is an absolute collosus at VFL level, what a shame he never quite got the opportunities at the top level.

OConnell is getting better every week, his marking and kicking are as good as someone who has been playing all his life. McLennan is also a strong mark but needs to add more to his game.

Allison needs to back it up for a few weeks before we can be confident he has turned a corner.

Last edited:
It was a good win but we need to temper our assessment given the opposition were so devastated by injury.

Even so Garcia, Crouch, Clark, Allison, Hotton and Hastie all had very good games. Crouch looked buggered by the end of the game, Clark got caught plenty if only he could run he would be a super star.

Garcia has a really bright future he is a class above for an 18yo and he never stops moving.

Heath finally found the form he was showing last year, he is a big clumsy kid but he has a go. Still dont think he will improve enough to make it.

Keelers spoiling, kicking and link up play is silky and when he gets stronger he is going to be some player.

Campbell is an absolute collosus at VFL level, what a shame he never quite got the opportunities at the top level.

OConnell is getting better every week, his marking and kicking are as good as someone who has been playing all his life. McLennan is also a strong mark but needs to add more to his game.

Allison needs to back it for a few weeks before we can be confident he has turned a corner.
The thing that's exciting about Keeler is seeing him stream through on the run. He looks like a bigger NWM.

The thing that's exciting about Keeler is seeing him stream through on the run. He looks like a bigger NWM.
You can literally see his improvement week on week at training. With some game continuity and physical development he can really be a player.
Good to see Hotton get a full game, we need to keep churning through the mids.

Honestly to me he looked like an intercepting third tall, maybe like a less accountable version of Josh Battle. Hard to tell from one game but I can't imagine we need a guy with his profile. I suppose if they think he's really high potential then he makes some sense, but I don't really see it.
That’s what I’m thinking. Saints really need mids and more mids, but an extra small forward or key defender would be useful too.

Apparently I read an article that stated other clubs are interested in him too. However, I’m not sure what role they are looking at him for him.

Playing the Richmond 4ths though.

Yep. Need to take this with a big grain of salt. How many Richmond listed AFL players did they have play?
We can only play who they put on the park. But I'd like to see the same effort next week first.

Yep. Need to take this with a big grain of salt. How many Richmond listed AFL players did they have play?
We can only play who they put on the park. But I'd like to see the same effort next week first.

It's a small consolation to at least see Sandringham competitive each week this year.

Our VFL team have been a debacle for years. It's good to have the side finally looking at the level.

It would have been smart to leave Pou in the 2s and play that game. He would have got much more out of it. It's good to see Garcia go back and have a big game in a decent side.

They're actually half decent to watch at times and a few boys are starting to show something. Heath not looking totally lost lately. Hotton looked ok today from the little I saw. Keeler really coming along.

It actually is starting to look like a side where we can develop talent.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back