VFL 2024 Sandringham Zebras

Remove this Banner Ad

They're all tall and reasonably immobile. There's no clear third tall hit-up forward in that group.

Feel like if we are moving past Membrey and Sharman doesn't get there (no good games from him this season so far), we're back where we were since Hamill retired - looking for a third tall forward again.
Do you discount owens possibly being that 3rd tall?

I don't see him as a full-time mid.

Do you discount owens possibly being that 3rd tall?

I don't see him as a full-time mid.

It's possible, but that would mean only two of King, Caminiti and Hayes in the side. We're not playing four talls.

On the other hand, and I don't know why this didn't come to me earlier, but the Owens comp is Hamill, right? Not as good overhead but just as competitive.

They're all tall and reasonably immobile. There's no clear third tall hit-up forward in that group.

Feel like if we are moving past Membrey and Sharman doesn't get there (no good games from him this season so far), we're back where we were since Hamill retired - looking for a third tall forward again.

we have to move past Membrey. He should be on 1 year deals from now on.

Paton at least was playing well in the VFL, even if it was in another role. Collard maybe 3 touches with no impact and gave away a 50m which cost us the game. How do you reward that with a senior game?

You are right though that so many decisions with yesterday's game were strange. Feels like they made changes just to say they made them rather than because they would make us better, then doubled down with stranger match-ups that were a few years out of date.

"Punishment" changes.
Unless we twice the list size with a heap of "talent" its never going to work.
We need our players to play better, we don't need our players gone.

I don't know why this didn't come to me earlier, but the Owens comp is Hamill, right? Not as good overhead but just as competitive.

That's how I think it could develop, he's certainly a bull, just not a full time midfield bull like some fans blurt, but he certainly can work the stoppages if needed on a part time basis, but I like the sound of "Forward Bull", just to show some of our forward pussies how to be competitive physically...Hello Max!

But on the four tall options, I see Hayes in that mix along side King, Caminiti and Owens but more of a utility, noted he worked all around the ground in his first game back, (which player doesn't work all around the ground these day, and are there really any set positions in the modern game anyway?)...he's our best option presently to help Marshall out with rotations.

I think a few games in the seniors can be really beneficial, garcia for example looks to be seeing the game much quicker when playing for sandy now compared to before he got a run in the seniors. But yep agree, pou got gifted way too many games and now he's forgotten how to football. Hopefully can get it back at sandy over the next month

That is a very traditional list management strategy. Give the high picks a taste and get them hungry for more so that they kick the door down.

Collard I can understand, but bringing out Garcia as our main pressure forward for Paton is questionable. Then there’s the issue of Steele having a run with role on Fyfe. Wilkie went to Amiss if my recollection of the game is correct, rather than to Treacy and Doug to Amiss. We could also add bringing in Pou which was never going to work out.
Nope, Doug played on Voss and Treacy

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Don't agree. I can see what recruiters see in him. Very good one v one. Doesn;t lose, hasn;t looked that clean but I assume they think he'' develop that.
We need more pure mids or key defenders (Patrick Voss would have been good, but oh well).. Benier looks like a 3rd tall/flanker type that is quite messy, we have enough of these, no thanks.

Don't agree. I can see what recruiters see in him. Very good one v one. Doesn;t lose, hasn;t looked that clean but I assume they think he'' develop that.
The Irishman is going to be better player IMO

I agree with that. Massive fan of the Irishman. He's way ahead of any of the irish guys we've had at the same point and even some other youngster we've drafted. He has serious power and speed. I honestly think he could play a lockdown role atm. Plays the right way.
The Irishman is going to be better player IMO

We need more pure mids or key defenders (Patrick Voss would have been good, but oh well).. Benier looks like a 3rd tall/flanker type that is quite messy, we have enough of these, no thanks.

I was screaming from the hilltops for us to take Patrick Voss when he was delisted by Essendon. The kid has always played with so much purpose Im surprised all clubs werent all over him. I dont get them all right, but he was an obvious selection in my view. Anyway its nice to see him going well at Freo. He might make it as a key forward, but I thought his qualities were well suited to a key defensive role in our side.

It's possible, but that would mean only two of King, Caminiti and Hayes in the side. We're not playing four talls.

On the other hand, and I don't know why this didn't come to me earlier, but the Owens comp is Hamill, right? Not as good overhead but just as competitive.
hamil wasn't that great overhead, extended his arms like a he'd had a double elbow replacement.. didn't mind a chesty though

Allison is a poor man's Sharman.

Granted that is harsh but both lads not cut out for it at AFL level.

My guess is Caminiti will be persisted with for a run of games in the back half of the season in the hope Hayes can get his body and conditioning right and also hold a spot.

based on available assets King, Caminiti and Hayes makes the most sense structurally as far as talls in the forward line goes. And if each of those guys can stay injury free for the remainder of the season to show if they can form any connection then that would be a good outcome in terms of getting a decent look at some players in the forward line to find the keepers.

I tend to agree, I dont know why Hayes was subbed out of the Hawthorn game so early it was an odd move. I would bring both Hayes & Membrey back this week and really stretch Melbournes defence without Lever.

I tend to agree, I dont know why Hayes was subbed out of the Hawthorn game so early it was an odd move. I would bring both Hayes & Membrey back this week and really stretch Melbournes defence without Lever.

Can anyone name a situation where “stretching their defence” has actually worked for us? Pretty much every time we pick a taller forward line it fails because they still don’t get their hands on the footy and we lose run and pressure.

I'd get Snags and Crouch in. If we win it will be because we slow their m midfield dominance and score a few more goals. Perhaps bring Huge Garcia back and ask him to put the clamps on one of the Dees mids.

My guess is he's genuinely being managed, probably wouldn't have been subbed out had he not been having a mare and was possibly always going to be managed after a gsme or two back at a guess. I thought he'd be quiet in his second ish game back....remember Steven Baker plaing the 2010 GF after 10.weeks out but being shagged for the replay...a sports science thingy...happens regularly to players with long lay-offs. And the club no doubt will be being very conservative.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back