VFL 2024 Sandringham Zebras

Remove this Banner Ad

I tend to agree, I dont know why Hayes was subbed out of the Hawthorn game so early it was an odd move. I would bring both Hayes & Membrey back this week and really stretch Melbournes defence without Lever.
Hayes a bit stiff to get demoted last week,was very good the week before

I'd get Snags and Crouch in. If we win it will be because we slow their m midfield dominance and score a few more goals. Perhaps bring Huge Garcia back and ask him to put the clamps on one of the Dees mids.

I like Hugo as the defensive forward, strong tackler, and one of the few that seems to be able to pick up the ball off the deck.

Jake Batchelor has to be Max Heath's biggest fan.

The effort is always there with Moose but he is not a smart footballer or a great ruckman by any means.
Does he need to be a smart footballer to be a foil for max? He seems to be strong on a lead, clunks a majority of his marks, splits packs and converts a good amount.

Plus he's now getting the ability to gather the pill, which means his tank is getting alot bigger.

Jake Batchelor has to be Max Heath's biggest fan.

He has been criticised by many on here about his lack of a tank, and from that point of view I thought his game on Sunday showed a lot of improvement.

Still a lot to play out this year and at least this most recent performance suggests a line through his name is far from certain.

I remain hopeful he can build into an AFL ruckman.

He has been criticised by many on here about his lack of a tank, and from that point of view I thought his game on Sunday showed a lot of improvement.

Still a lot to play out this year and at least this most recent performance suggests a line through his name is far from certain.

I remain hopeful he can build into an AFL ruckman.
He’s 21 or something? They clearly see something and would probably feels needs more time as a tall

No doubt. It was more a comment on the 'I'm proud of him' tacked on the end given every week Moose gets some extra love and more substance in his review than most others.

Also said that Garcia or someone was the most valuable on field apart from Max or something too. Think he might love him a bit.

Probably not unfair. How many 21 year olds are playing ruck in the AFL? He seems to be doing ok in the VFL, hopefully he keeps improving.

Yes he is 21yo but Heath is a very different player to Marshall. Rowan was a key forward who became a ruckman.

My question is has Heath really improved as a ruckman? We know aerobically he is he still the worst runner at the club, which as an AFL is a key element to their games. He had one off games against a poor VFL side, he had that last season then he would go missing for weeks. He is a great tackler for his size, and generally a good shot on goals but has very little ruck craft and is easily spoilt in marking contests. He is beaten by most if not all other genuine VFL ruckman at the centre bounce. He is 205cm tall but some how collapses when he jumps into the opposition, which results in him falling over on most ocaasions. The Richmond string bean Sampson Ryan held his ground better than Heath and beat him in hitouhitouts.

If he was a dominant ruckman you could overlook his other weaknesses but for me he hasnt shown enough to warrant waiting what another 2 or 3 years to see IF he can actually improve. I would rather take the gamble on finding another kid who is a natural ruckman rather than a battler like Heath. Its time to bite the bullet and cut the apron strings IMO.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think it would be good to keep Pou and Garcia at Sandy in the mids to build some confidence and combination. Get to work with another young player trying to figure it all out too.

But then you do a saints best 22 and the list is so young you pretty much have to have an unbalanced side or a player that should be developing in the vfl. Makes sense why the saints team has looked so unbalanced some weeks….

Yes he is 21yo but Heath is a very different player to Marshall. Rowan was a key forward who became a ruckman.

My question is has Heath really improved as a ruckman? He had one off games like that last season then he would go missing for weeks. He is a great tackler for his size, and generally a good shot on goals but has very little ruck craft and is easily spoilt in marking contests. He is beaten by most if not all other genuine VFL ruckman at the centre bounce. He is 205cm tall but some how collapses when he jumps into the opposition, which results in him falling over on most ocaasions. The Richmond string bean Sampson Ryan held his ground better than Heath and beat him in hitouts.

For me he hasnt shown enough improvement rucking to warrant waiting what another 2 or 3 years to see if he can actually improve. I would rather take the gamble on finding another kid who is a natural ruckman rather than a battler like Heath. Its time to bite the bullet and cut the apron strings IMO.

Samson Ryan 2 years old, been in the system longer, and banging down the door for game with Tigers.

Correct me if I’m wrong, didn’t Heath play full game in the ruck the other week against Box Hill and dominate hitouts?

He then transitioned into KPF role on the weekend with Campbell back in and got a lot of it as well as a goal or two?

Samson Ryan 2 years old, been in the system longer, and banging down the door for game with Tigers.

Correct me if I’m wrong, didn’t Heath play full game in the ruck the other week against Box Hill and dominate hitouts?

He then transitioned into KPF role on the weekend with Campbell back in and got a lot of it as well as a goal or two?

The first year we recruited him I thought we had recruited a real goer who would develop and become our No 1 ruckman. If you go back for the past two years I have been defending him also, believing he would come good. But he just hasnt progressed in any facet of his main task - rucking IMO.

I watched that Box Hill game and the stats would suggest he did well 35 to 19 hitouts, but I honestly cant recall seeing Moose dominating the game eg hitouts to advantage or his around the ground game. He had 7 disposals and 2 marks thats hardly a dominant game.

In the Richmond game he was playing on a 190cm full back and dropped more marks than he held. Richmond were the weakest VFL side put out on the field for years so I wouldnt be assessing that one game thinking he has made it. For the other 7 games this year he has hardly bothered the stats sheet which is more of an indication as to how he is going.

Lets remember how much quicker and how much more running ruckman are expected to do in AFL games can you really see Moose improving to those levels? The club may back him to improve if so great, I just cant see it at this stage and would prefer to look else where.

Let me ask this question - if the club want to recruit 5-6 new players at seasons end who should they delist?

Last edited:
The first year we recruited him I thought we had recruited a real goer who would develop and become our No 1 ruckman. If you go back for the past two years I have been defending him also, believing he would come good. But he just hasnt progressed in any facet of his main task - rucking IMO.

I watched that Box Hill game and the stats would suggest he did well 35 to 19 hitouts, but I honestly cant recall seeing Moose dominating the game eg hitouts to advantage or his around the ground game. He had 7 disposals and 2 marks thats hardly a dominant game.

In the Richmond game he was playing on a 190cm full back and dropped more marks than he held. Richmond were the weakest VFL side put out on the field for years so I wouldnt be assessing that one game thinking he has made it. For the other 7 games this year he has hardly bothered the stats sheet which is more of an indication as to how he is going.

Lets remember how much quicker and how much more running ruckman are expected to do in AFL games can you really see Moose improving to those levels? The club may back him to improve if so great, I just cant see it at this stage and would prefer to look else where.

Let me ask this question - if the club want to recruit 5-6 new players at seasons end who should they delist?

I wonder how much we haven’t seen out of Heath, Keeler to an extent too (little bit different this year however with KPD role), due to role Campbell has in VFL.

I can see Campbell being delisted end of year with more exposure to our young talls next season and brining in another 22-25 there about ruck (e.g., Moyle) which will add competition to be the 2nd ruck.

In terms of players to be delisted, I could see either of Paton, Allison, Hotton, Ross, Campbell, Jones, Van Es and Clark all in the mix. Some fans on here will have varying arguments for or against each of these.

It’s really going to be horses for courses for each of them, whether Heath is given any more of a run. I dare say the club will have a stronger hold and evaluation around Heath’s exact running levels, whether it has seen an increased capacity over time. I’m not going to pretend I know that answer.

My question is has Heath really improved as a ruckman? We know aerobically he is he still the worst runner at the club, which as an AFL is a key element to their games. He had one off games against a poor VFL side, he had that last season then he would go missing for weeks. He is a great tackler for his size, and generally a good shot on goals but has very little ruck craft and is easily spoilt in marking contests. He is beaten by most if not all other genuine VFL ruckman at the centre bounce. He is 205cm tall but some how collapses when he jumps into the opposition, which results in him falling over on most ocaasions. The Richmond string bean Sampson Ryan held his ground better than Heath and beat him in hitouhitouts.

If he was a dominant ruckman you could overlook his other weaknesses but for me he hasnt shown enough to warrant waiting what another 2 or 3 years to see IF he can actually improve. I would rather take the gamble on finding another kid who is a natural ruckman rather than a battler like Heath. Its time to bite the bullet and cut the apron strings IMO.

That is partly to do with Campbell being a gun ruck in the VFL, so we limit Moose's minutes in the middle. I've tried to watch him to get a read on him and he hardly takes a centre bounce some weeks. He's not terrible but he's not standing out either.

Ryan is a good ruckman at VFL level and is coming on fast, he's 8th for average hit outs this year. He's coming on fast according to my Tigers mate.

Heath won't make it .
Just has not got a tank.

Garcia certain to make it, total commitment to becoming a player.

Hayes too good for this mob, needs to cone back in.

whRkdbZ.jpeg

It's always the question with young ruckman. Problem is if we drsft another one its another 4 years till we find out if hes any good or not, so the motivation is to keep them until there's no doubts left. With TC close to the end l can see Moose getting year by year deals whist another kid is drafted.

It's always the question with young ruckman. Problem is if we drsft another one its another 4 years till we find out if hes any good or not, so the motivation is to keep them until there's no doubts left. With TC close to the end l can see Moose getting year by year deals whist another kid is drafted.

For what Campbell offers at VFL level I would much rather keep him on, than Heath. If he was any good in the centre square and around the ground he would get more minutes in there. Just as a reminder Ned Moyle and Dante Visentini came from the same draft year, how are they going along side Heath. Both are capable and playing AFL, whilst Heath is no where near it.

Last edited:
Heath won't make it .
Just has not got a tank.

Garcia certain to make it, total commitment to becoming a player.

I wouldn't be putting a line through Heath just yet. He's starting to show what he's capable of, seems like the penny is finally dropping and he's still young as for a ruckman.

I have felt that Heath is on the out. Last year the word was that we were strongly linked to Will Green from the Northern Knights, but he went a pick before us (resulting in the club trading back with GWS and taking Wilson at 18). If you're looking at drafting a ruck in the first round, something has to give eventually. Marshall untouchable, Campbell is too valuable as a depth ruck, Keeler had only been on our list for 1 year, so the writing was on the wall then imo. Hopefully Max can string a few good games together, would love to see him succeed.

Hopefully Max can string a few good games together, would love to see him succeed.

Plus Heath’s a good height at 204-205cm.

I don’t want our next ruck to be 198-200cm.

As Simon noted in The Inbetweeners it’s time to …

r5mDzFE.gif

Remove this Banner Ad

Back