Injury 2024 Season Geelong Cats Injury Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

There is always the heightened risk the club medicos would be aware of and I assume they have articulated well to dangerfield as well. Here is a very quick read for reference to AFL if you don’t want to scroll through pages of peer reviewed articles

Anything to do with fast twitch fibres?

Geelong Cats GMHBA Health Update – Round 8

PlayerInjuryExpected return
Tom StewartConcussionTBC
Phoenix FosterConcussionTBC
James WillisIllnessTest
Oli WiltshireThumb1 week
Joe FurphyAnkle1 week
Mitch EdwardsBack2-3 weeks
Patrick DangerfieldHamstring4-6 weeks

Geelong Captain Patrick Dangerfield will be sidelined for four-to-six weeks with a hamstring injury sustained during Saturday’s 13-point win over Carlton.

The injury, to his left hamstring, is the same one he injured in Round 2 where he missed three games.

“The injury Pat has sustained is similar to the one from earlier in the season where he missed 21 days. Given the injury is to the same leg, we will continue to take a conservative approach in his recovery and return to play,” Cats Assistant General Manager of Football Brett Johnson said.

“With a focus to set Pat up for the second part of the season, at this stage he will miss four-to-six weeks, however we will re-assess his progress and the timeframe that he returns to the line-up as he works through his training program.”

Vice-captain Tom Stewart is on track to face the Demons on Saturday night after missing last Saturday night’s game in the concussion protocols.

Oli Wiltshire will be unavailable this weekend with a thumb injury, while James Willis (illness) is a test.

Geelong Cats GMHBA Health Update – Round 8

PlayerInjuryExpected return
Tom StewartConcussionTBC
Phoenix FosterConcussionTBC
James WillisIllnessTest
Oli WiltshireThumb1 week
Joe FurphyAnkle1 week
Mitch EdwardsBack2-3 weeks
Patrick DangerfieldHamstring4-6 weeks

Geelong Captain Patrick Dangerfield will be sidelined for four-to-six weeks with a hamstring injury sustained during Saturday’s 13-point win over Carlton.

The injury, to his left hamstring, is the same one he injured in Round 2 where he missed three games.

“The injury Pat has sustained is similar to the one from earlier in the season where he missed 21 days. Given the injury is to the same leg, we will continue to take a conservative approach in his recovery and return to play,” Cats Assistant General Manager of Football Brett Johnson said.

“With a focus to set Pat up for the second part of the season, at this stage he will miss four-to-six weeks, however we will re-assess his progress and the timeframe that he returns to the line-up as he works through his training program.”

Vice-captain Tom Stewart is on track to face the Demons on Saturday night after missing last Saturday night’s game in the concussion protocols.

Oli Wiltshire will be unavailable this weekend with a thumb injury, while James Willis (illness) is a test.
It then lists TBC instead of test? Do we read anything into that?

Lol so no established key forward next week without Hawk or Jez. Three losses in a row coming up. Great.
And GWS the week after.

This Is Fine GIF

We just need to scrap one win from the next two.

Suns in the humidity with a depleted team?

Or GWS at home with our key forwards back?

GWS at home is definitely more winnable. Even before the injury to Jez, I had the Suns game in Darwin marked down as a likely loss.

Of the Melbourne/Port/Suns/GWS games, we've already played and lost the two I considered us most likely to scrap points from.

7-4 wouldn't be the worst position but to have got no points from that run of fixtures will put us right back with the back. Such a squandered opportunity. I'm still salty at how garbage we've played the last two games.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

GWS at home is definitely more winnable. Even before the injury to Jez, I had the Suns game in Darwin marked down as a likely loss.

Of the Melbourne/Port/Suns/GWS games, we've already played and lost the two I considered us most likely to scrap points from.

7-4 wouldn't be the worst position but to have got no points from that run of fixtures will put us right back with the back. Such a squandered opportunity. I'm still salty at how garbage we've played the last two games.

Yeah, what we've dished up the last 2 weeks has been abysmal.

Some will point out the slim margin, but what came before should be of concern.

Lol so no established key forward next week without Hawk or Jez. Three losses in a row coming up. Great.
No wins this May. Almost guaranteed.
We just need to accept it's not D- day.
BUT, if we don't beat Tigers on 1st June, the next match IS Swans 9 June, that will be D - day!!

If theres one place i dont mind playing without established key forwards its darwin. So long as rohan can bring the ball to ground guys like stengle miers and even mannagh will score more than jez would have anyway. We will need them back for gws though or taylor will wreck us.

No wins this May. Almost guaranteed.
We just need to accept it's not D- day.
BUT, if we don't beat Tigers on 1st June, the next match IS Swans 9 June, that will be D - day!!
"Almost guaranteed"

Sorry, where do you come up with stuff like this? There is nothing that could occur from now that is almost guaranteed besides losing or winning at least one match before the season ends.

Is it an attempt to impose a sense of self control on the situation because you "know" losses are guaranteed? A very interesting case study in human psychology.

FWIW we are every chance to lose the next two games but (rightly or wrongly) will start favourites in both according to the bookies (I don't bet these days, but they're on the AFL website and a far better unbiased look at favourites than an overly optimistic or cynical supporter).

Is it Neale & Hawkins next week

Or Neale, Henry, Rohan & "The Swarm"

?

I thought that Neal left the ground late in the final term last week with an ankle injury.

"Almost guaranteed"

Sorry, where do you come up with stuff like this? There is nothing that could occur from now that is almost guaranteed besides losing or winning at least one match before the season ends.

Is it an attempt to impose a sense of self control on the situation because you "know" losses are guaranteed? A very interesting case study in human psychology.

FWIW we are every chance to lose the next two games but (rightly or wrongly) will start favourites in both according to the bookies (I don't bet these days, but they're on the AFL website and a far better unbiased look at favourites than an overly optimistic or cynical supporter).
No need for your analysis of my assessment of where we are at.
You agree we will probably drop the next 2 as well, but if anyone dares to say it...
"almost guarantee" is exactly what it implies- as sure as a thing can be in this strange game.
I don't yet believe our slump will be terminal, and who knows, we may yet start winning even in May.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back