2nds 2024 VFL thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Did he? He's always just looked like a bog average old school ruck with little talent from what I've seen
I think fitness holds him back more than anything. Not sure he's got the application for AFL level. Henry Smith's gone well and truly past him.
Kalin Lane OOC this year, if he is not being given a decent crack in the ruck this VFL season I can't see him getting an extension, he is definitely not a forward, particularly with academy ruck Tom Gillett coming in the draft this year.

Kalin's career is being sold up the swanee getting stuck in the forward pocket. Not sure what the solution is. As I've said, I like him as a primary ruckman and if we don't get injuries, he's not going to get a look in there (it seems). S'pose if you're going to make a decent fist of it you need to make the most of the hand you've been dealt; not sure that's happened to date.

Brain played really well, looks like he could get a game this year.

Tunstill can find it but he’s lightweight and his disposal is hit and miss. Wouldn’t be rushing him into the side

Morris and Lloyd complimented each other well and looked natural footballers.

Smith did some nice things but needs to work on his ruck craft.

Lane hasn’t got it.

Torrent looked switched on at all times and has the size and ability to play AFL early.

Reville was good too, could get a game in the seniors ahead of Lohmann atm based off that game.

First half Lohmann was trying too hard. Just has to play simple. He can find it no problem but is just rushing all the time. There is a player there but he needs some confidence and consistent game time.

You are spot on with your observations I reckon Lohmann is trying to hard . He thinks he always needs to do the spectacular and will learn over time that if he just plays his role he will be a serviceable AFL player

He reminds of a rookie ruck we had over 10 years ago also from WA - Daniel Murray iirc - altho Murray only got a year or two w/o a senior appearance - was an agro bloke to.
Aggro is one word for it.

Kalin's career is being sold up the swanee getting stuck in the forward pocket. Not sure what the solution is. As I've said, I like him as a primary ruckman and if we don't get injuries, he's not going to get a look in there (it seems). S'pose if you're going to make a decent fist of it you need to make the most of the hand you've been dealt; not sure that's happened to date.
I think he was acquired for cover in case of injury given Smith was considered not ready. Unfortunately with us going to one ruck and there being no injuries I think it has really inhibited both Lane and Smith's development.

From the AFL site

BRISBANE

State league affiliate:
Brisbane (VFL)
This weekend: Essendon v Brisbane at The Hangar, Saturday March 23, 1.05pm AEDT

MATCH CENTRE Check out all the stats from Brisbane's clash

After being taken in the second round of the 2023 draft, Logan Morris impressed in his first game in a Lions' jumper, kicking four goals in Brisbane's 37-point win over Essendon on Saturday.

James Tunstill kicked two of his own among 31 disposals, while Luke Lloyd kicked a pair of majors from 14 touches.

Also getting in on the action was Jack Payne, the usual key defender slotting two goals of his own.

Jaxon Prior was another to make sure he got noticed with 27 disposals, Harry Sharp had 17 touches and 10 marks, while Darragh Joyce had 15 and eight.

Darcy Fort had a team-high six clearances to go with 29 hitouts and 13 possessions, with good support from fellow ruckman Henry Smith who kicked a goal from 14 touches.

Category B rookies Bruce Reville (24 disposals, five clearances) and Shadeau Brain (13 disposals, eight marks) impressed.

Late 2023 draftee Reece Torrent kicked one goal from 17 touches.

Former Crow Tom Doedee had just eight disposals but got through his first game back from injury, while Kai Lohmann was quiet with just four touches.

Last edited:
From the AFL site

BRISBANE

State league affiliate:
Brisbane (VFL)
This weekend: Essendon v Brisbane at The Hangar, Saturday March 23, 1.05pm AEDT

MATCH CENTRE Check out all the stats from Brisbane's clash

After being taken in the second round of the 2023 draft, Logan Morris impressed in his first game in a Lions' jumper, kicking four goals in Brisbane's 37-point win over Essendon on Saturday.

James Tunstill kicked two of his own among 31 disposals, while Luke Lloyd kicked a pair of majors from 14 touches.

Also getting in on the action was Jack Payne, the usual key defender slotting two goals of his own.

Jaxon Prior was another to make sure he got noticed with 27 disposals, Harry Sharp had 17 touches and 10 marks, while Darragh Joyce had 15 and eight.

Darcy Fort had a team-high six clearances to go with 29 hitouts and 13 possessions, with good support from fellow ruckman Henry Smith who kicked a goal from 14 touches.

Category B rookies Bruce Reville (24 disposals, five clearances) and Shadeau Brain (13 disposals, eight marks) impressed.

Late 2023 draftee Reece Torrent kicked one goal from 17 touches.

Former Crow Tom Doedee had just eight disposals but got through his first game back from injury, while Kai Lohmann was quiet with just four touches.
what a shockingly lazy article. Last line is a giveaway that the reporter didn’t even watch the game

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Limited minutes.

Thanks
More information in the Lions article below that does mention limited minutes for Doedee.

That AFL reporter most likely got their information from the Lions anyhow.
For me it does not matter that much it the reporter attended the game or not.
Although Mr Ripper seams to take it to heart.
Any exposure for the VFL on the AFL site is still good for the fans who did or could not watch the game.

I think he was acquired for cover in case of injury given Smith was considered not ready. Unfortunately with us going to one ruck and there being no injuries I think it has really inhibited both Lane and Smith's development.
We keep doing this weird drafting of multiple types all at once - making it really hard for them all to develop in the VFL with limited role opportunities. And even if they do make it then they retire at approx the same time. Its poor list management IMO

Lane and HSmith together. Morris and Lane (meant Lloyd) this year.

Last edited:
We keep doing this weird drafting of multiple types all at once - making it really hard for them all to develop in the VFL with limited role opportunities. And even if they do make it then they retire at approx the same time. Its poor list management IMO

Lane and HSmith together. Morris and Lane this year.
Do you mean Morris and Lloyd?

Yeah, it's a little odd. Perhaps it's playing the odds on a position we have an acknoledged hole. Rayner and Bailey probably another example.

BTW, I'm assuming you mean Lloyd.

Yeah, it's a little odd. Perhaps it's playing the odds on a position we have an acknoledged hole. Rayner and Bailey probably another example.

BTW, I'm assuming you mean Lloyd.
I guess we figure we've drafted 4 hopefuls there and if we get one good player and another who can get a game we'll have done exceptionally well.

Yeah this annoys me too. It's hard to develop in a role when you don't get a really good crack at it. We have done it in the past quite a bit, sometimes too many talls, other times not enough.

I guess we figure we've drafted 4 hopefuls there and if we get one good player and another who can get a game we'll have done exceptionally well.
The danger is nobody gets much of a crack at it and as a result none of them make it.

Yeah this annoys me too. It's hard to develop in a role when you don't get a really good crack at it. We have done it in the past quite a bit, sometimes too many talls, other times not enough.

The danger is nobody gets much of a crack at it and as a result none of them make it.
I think the time's coming where slots might open up if anyone's good enough.

I think the time's coming where slots might open up if anyone's good enough.
Yeah that's true, although I meant more in the VFL developing. If you are a key forward, you want to be the number one target, not one of 4 or 5. If you are a ruck you want to ruck 60-70% of the game. On the flip side if you are a halfback, you don't want to spend week after week playing as a key defender as the club hasn't drafted any.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back