Player Watch #23 Alissa Brook

Remove this Banner Ad

In a state team stacked with talent, Alissa Brook perhaps flew under the radar in 2023 despite being highly rated internally by the coaching staff. With an array of athletic weapons and clean hands, the talented raw defender went about her business and showed she could be a very competitive defender at the next level.

At the AFLW Draft Combine, Brook recorded a 72-centimetre running vertical jump and 58-centimetre standing vertical jump, ranking her inside the top five nationally for both tests.

She also recorded a sub-3.3 second 20m sprint which, coupled with her impressive agility, makes her an all-round athlete worthy of a shot at AFLW level.

List manager Naomi Maidment said:
“Alissa is a tall, really athletic player who tested really well at the AFLW Draft Combine. She is a player we think will have an impact in the future either across half back or a developing wing role. Came through the Port Adelaide Next Generation Academy as a junior and will add a lot to our group off-field as well.”

Alissa Brook
Club(s):
South Australia/South Adelaide
Position: Defender
DOB: 23 May 2005
Height: 176cm

Alissa Brook
Brook on being drafted to Port Adelaide

“It was amazing, it was just such genuine shock. Watching my face in the videos back, it’s like you can just see I was so not expecting it and it’s such a raw reaction. As soon as all the girls got around me I just broke down a bit, I was so excited. It was such a whirlwind and I kept hugging everyone and they were like ‘you can speak’ and I was like ‘I don’t know what to say!’ It was amazing.

“It’s definitely something I’m really proud of to come to Port is that they’re still establishing themselves (in the AFLW) so to be part of, not quite at the very start, but the start of an amazing (team) on their way up, it’s really cool to be a part of that and grow with it.”

Draftee dream comes true for new Port duo

Remove this Banner Ad

Back