AFLW AFLW List Management 2022-23

Remove this Banner Ad

This could have gone in 1 or 2 other thread so mods if you think it should be moved then do so. The AFL is looking at a one off overage draft ie players 19 or older and then try and align the timing of the draft similar to the men's at the end of the year and i guess have to be 18 by December 31 of that year rather than a June draft.

THE AFLW is expected to hold a one-off overage national draft in the coming months as a stop-gap between its shortened seasons.

After completing two campaigns in the space of eight months throughout 2022 to re-align the AFLW fixture, it's understood the next NAB AFLW Draft – expected to fall either in February or March next year – will only consider players 19 years of age or above.

Womens.afl understands clubs were briefed on the upcoming plans to hold an overage national draft this week, due to there being no junior girls season between the last draft held in June and the next scheduled for early 2023.

It means clubs will only be able to pick from mature-aged state league talent from competitions like the VFLW, SANFLW and WAFLW, or young players overlooked during the most recent national draft earlier this year.

It's believed that after next year's overage draft, the League then plans to revert back to a traditional national draft – where the junior season falls more in sync with the AFLW campaign and the majority of the talent pool will be made up of 18-year-olds – from the end of 2023 onwards.

From there, the timing of AFLW trade and draft periods are tipped to fall in line with that of the men's competition and are expected to be held towards the end of each year.

However, the plans have been met by concern from clubs that a compromised draft will limit the short-term ability to trade for rival players at season's end.

Clubs have privately expressed that draft picks will hold less value for 2023, given the restricted access to the best junior talent in the country, and will therefore be more difficult to trade during the player movement window.........................

Port Adelaide

• Granted an additional two list spots for season eight
  • Can sign up to three players during PSP
  • Can offer a "secondary relocation reimbursement/payment" to those players
  • Can sign one underage player during PSP
  • That underage player is eligible to play during the season

Holy crap!!! That gives PA a huge advantage this trade period!!! If i supported a top 4 club I'd be spewing...

Any idea who we might look at for our 3 x PSP???

I hope we've got Lauren nailed down tight, but it says she still can't play AFLW until 2024. Unless the conditions outlined in today's AFLW post mean she can be the one under-ager, who can play :think:

Last edited:
I hope we've got Lauren nailed down tight, but it says she still can't play AFLW until 2024. Unless the conditions outlined in today's AFLW post mean she can be the one under-ager, who can play :think:

If Port take her as their under-ager (and they 100% will) then yes, she will be able to play in the 2023 season.

That alone is a huge coup for Port Adelaide, even if they don't manage to sign anyone else. It is essentially equivalent to giving you an extra first-round pick in 2024.

If Port take her as their under-ager (and they 100% will) then yes, she will be able to play in the 2023 season.

That alone is a huge coup for Port Adelaide, even if they don't manage to sign anyone else. It is essentially equivalent to giving you an extra first-round pick in 2024.
It also means that Lauren might develop a year faster than her peers.

Essendon best of 4 new sides get least amount of extra help

Hawthorn 2nd best new side get a bit more help

Port 3rd best of new side a good first 5 weeks, then struggled last 5 weeks get more assistance than above.

Swans worst of the 4 sides, get most assistance.

FpYhQYxaQAAqtnF

So we can use this extra pick to choose from a whopping pool of 2 players?

We'll end up with Young next year anyway, but it's odd that the new rule was announced in a way that it seemed like it would inevitably be her and then it was backtracked quickly. Wonder if there was backlash about it?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So we can use this extra pick to choose from a whopping pool of 2 players?

We'll end up with Young next year anyway, but it's odd that the new rule was announced in a way that it seemed like it would inevitably be her and then it was backtracked quickly. Wonder if there was backlash about it?

Port can add a underage draftee(small print)

Yay!!!!

You only have two options and the gun young talent isn’t one of them

Oh…

Also, there’s a bit of risk here for us.

Aflw decides the draft order based on player losses adding picks if a team loses players.

There’s 13 psp picks and teams will be compensated….

Lets say that the crows lose a couple of good players and the afl gives them the first pick in the next draft handing the crows young.

I’m not saying it’s likely, but it’s certainly within the framework of the rules to happen.

RULES around the eligibility of Port Adelaide's underage signing have been clarified, with an AFLW Academy ruck now well in the frame for selection during the Priority Signing Period.

The Power are able to sign an underage player as part of their assistance package, who will be able to play in the upcoming season in August.

The AFL has since confirmed that the underage player must have turned 18 on or before April 30, as well as having finished school.

That rules out rising star Lauren Young, who turns 18 in September, but brings Under-18 All-Australian ruck Matilda Scholz into the picture.

FFS how can you say its 1 underage player, then put a caveat on it.

Us de-listing McGrath with seemingly no plan of how to cover her...

Only for the AFL to then change the entire rule system with a special Port Adelaide exemption...

That coincidentally gets us access to Matilda Scholz for the upcoming season...

Is so unbelievably, obviously, deliciously corrupt and I ******* love being on the right end of this bullshit for once.

Also, there’s a bit of risk here for us.

Aflw decides the draft order based on player losses adding picks if a team loses players.

There’s 13 psp picks and teams will be compensated….

Lets say that the crows lose a couple of good players and the afl gives them the first pick in the next draft handing the crows young.

I’m not saying it’s likely, but it’s certainly within the framework of the rules to happen.
Thats highly unlikely to happen unless we turn into such a powerhouse that we don't care about missing out on Lauren Young.

The Victorians are problably still shitty that we didn't raid the Crows hard enough on our entry to AFLW.

Sounds like a tall interceptor?

I'm always happy with an AA acquisition but its our forward line that needs buffing.
I am not sure were I saw the article yesterday but there was reference to us seeking out Ashley Woodland from the crows?

That would definitely fit the bill your talking about.

Edit: it was on the aflw website so seems legit enough

Last edited:
Wgreedould be an amazing get if we could.

Woodland + a fit Houghton could have us looking very different up forward next season.

Agreed, will allow Gemma to be that lead up forward further up the ground and our smalls would be able to feed off any spilt balls. Will have to see if they pull it off but will be a big get if they do.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back