AFLW AFLW List Management 2022-23

Remove this Banner Ad

The Priority Signing Period ened yesterday, so either Matilda Scholz (under-ager) is counted as one of our three, or we chose not to take the third.

This article in The Age has some interesting perspectives on the large amount of movement between AFLW teams - only exacerbated by this latest 'evening up' exercise...

The Priority Signing Period ened yesterday, so either Matilda Scholz (under-ager) is counted as one of our three, or we chose not to take the third.

This article in The Age has some interesting perspectives on the large amount of movement between AFLW teams - only exacerbated by this latest 'evening up' exercise...

Scholz was allowed an underage signing. PSP signing are players they are already on other lists.

Teams get compensated by the aflw for losing players (rather than us having to trade for them). Glenelg will not get aflw compo picks for scholz getting drafted early.

I don’t think we chose to only take 2 PSP picks, I think we could only entice 2 of our targets over.

It would be a very small pool of players (players willing to relocate or already in Sa and looking for a new opportunity at our club)

I’m very happy to have snared woodland. That’s a massive get for our club.

It’s just a supplementary draft, so only undrafted players from past years and discards. I doubt there’s much talent available
I reckon Jess Bates at Glenelg is one player we might look at, reigning SANFLW MVP, we could do with an onballer like her now that Jacqui Yorston is inactive

Another is Gypsy Schirmer at South Adelaide, tall defender

I reckon Jess Bates at Glenelg is one player we might look at, reigning SANFLW MVP, we could do with an onballer like her now that Jacqui Yorston is inactive

Another is Gypsy Schirmer at South Adelaide, tall defender
I don't think Jess Bates is on radar as signed for Collingwood VFLW team in Dec 22. Would expect her to nominate in Victorian pool and with changes at Collingwood may have more chance there.

Surman traded for Maddy Keryk and pick 12.

Interesting move trading midfield depth for another defender, but we definitely need the pick.

Anybody know anything about Keryk?
Keryk can play a role, not a star by any means. Has been okay at AFLW level from what I have seen from Cats games. Helps having a bit more experience for us back there.

Surman is a loss. Don’t understand the move by the club there. Wasn’t she here for the longer term moving from Qld????

Interesting move trading midfield depth for another defender, but we definitely need the pick.

Had a quick search on the Cats board, sounds like she was pretty serviceable but dropped out of the best side last season, might be coming here for a fresh start under her ex-teammate Arnell.

Midfield depth might take a hit, but there might be some talent coming in through the draft (eg. Lauren Young).

Keryk can play a role, not a star by any means. Has been okay at AFLW level from what I have seen from Cats games. Helps having a bit more experience for us back there.

Surman is a loss. Don’t understand the move by the club there. Wasn’t she here for the longer term moving from Qld????
Absolutely loved her as a player but the reality is that at 31 and playing the role she does she is extremely unlikely to be part of our first premiership. I'd say we have our eye on a higher ceiling player with an age closer to the up and coming stars like Ewings, Boag, Dowrick, etc.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'm not sure exactly.

We had 4 picks before them last time (Ewings, Goodwin, Boag & Sachi), and we won one game. I'd expect we would have more than 2 before them again this time out.
If you can believe Wikipedia, I should have looked at this before commenting, we have now 2, 12, 20 and 38. Adelaide come in at 16 for their first pick.

No extra picks like last time.

Last edited:
If you can believe Wikipedia, I should have looked at this before commenting, we have now 2, 12, 20 and 38. Adelaide come in at 16 for their first pick.

Yeah see to me I feel like the AFLW should have just let us grab the first three picks again and left the PSP stuff alone. Give clubs time to build and go past each other. Good to know though, thanks.

So to confirm that’s pick 12 in next years draft draft not the overager draft we have before this season starts? Cause that picl would be useless to us.

From what I know traded picks were to be from the next proper draft but just checking if that’s definitely the case?

I think there’s currently meant to be two standout Sa prospects from memory so to have the first 2 Sa picks would be good.

Does anyone know if compensation for psp losses have been allocated already? Or could the afl still mess around with the order and give Adelaide a pick ahead of 12?

So to confirm that’s pick 12 in next years draft draft not the overager draft we have before this season starts? Cause that picl would be useless to us.

From what I know traded picks were to be from the next proper draft but just checking if that’s definitely the case?

I think there’s currently meant to be two standout Sa prospects from memory so to have the first 2 Sa picks would be good.

Does anyone know if compensation for psp losses have been allocated already? Or could the afl still mess around with the order and give Adelaide a pick ahead of 12?

It's pick 12 in this year's draft. Picks for next year's draft can't be traded yet because the club's don't know yet what picks they will have (it will depend on what happens in the upcoming season).

There are two standout SA prospects but they are in next year's draft.

The compensation for the PSP losses haven't yet been allocated (or at least, not announced) but those compensation picks will be in next year's draft so won't impact on the pick 12 for this year's draft. No idea what compensation (if any) the Crows will end up getting for losing Woodland but going on past expansion periods I doubt it will be a first-round selection.

As things currently stand, Port will get the first two SA picks in this year's overage draft, and then alternate selections with the Crows from there.

It's pick 12 in this year's draft. Picks for next year's draft can't be traded yet because the club's don't know yet what picks they will have (it will depend on what happens in the upcoming season).

There are two standout SA prospects but they are in next year's draft.

The compensation for the PSP losses haven't yet been allocated (or at least, not announced) but those compensation picks will be in next year's draft so won't impact on the pick 12 for this year's draft. No idea what compensation (if any) the Crows will end up getting for losing Woodland but going on past expansion periods I doubt it will be a first-round selection.

As things currently stand, Port will get the first two SA picks in this year's overage draft, and then alternate selections with the Crows from there.

Cheers. Makes sense.

Yeah a second pick in the overager draft probably isn’t that valuable, tho I guess it didn’t really cost us much to get it.

Anyone know who the standout sanflw players were this season that we might be looking at?

Bizarre decision here.
Not happy to lose Goodwin, was best SA prospect after Ewings in last draft.

Simmons, not convinced she is up to AFLW standard at all.

And the beans aren't even that magical. Picks in this draft are worth s**t all.

Weird

Remove this Banner Ad

Back