AFLW 2022 AFLW Fixture

Remove this Banner Ad

Rumour floating around a while ago was the Showdown for the first game.

Whether that’s at Adel Oval or Alberton will remain to be seen

Surely a Showdown opener, and given the season is starting in the bye in the men's season, Adelaide Oval will be available.

I wonder if they are still planning to have an entire round in Melbourne on the Friday before the Grand final. Be the only chance of a Port team being there this year.

The latest on the Showdown was that it'd likely be played in mid-late September, rather than R1 due to rugby at Adelaide Oval.

Fixture might be released next week.

Now that the draft is done and the season starts next month, next up should be the fixture.

It's a 10 round season, and I'm thinking there will definitely be a Showdown and I'm guessing that the four expansion teams will all play each other.

Saw something (not official) today indicating that the draw will be out next week.

Gold Coast and St Kilda played each other for the first time this year, 3rd season in the comp for both. So I wouldn't assume all the new teams are guaranteed to meet in their inaugural seasons. I'd guess Port's practice match (on the weekend of 13th August) will be against either Hawthorn or Essendon, and then won't face that team in the H&A.

They should go for this, i.m.h.o.:

View attachment 1437485

It's the simplest way. All the "interstate" derbies are granted; all the new clubs play each other; there's the GF rematch...
There's no chance GWS would get such a wildly more difficult fixture than, say, Richmond. It'll be done in thirds from last season: 1-6, 7-12, and bottom 2 + new 4. Likely 4 matches against teams in your third, 6 matches against teams from the other two groups (3 teams from each).

Gold Coast and St Kilda played each other for the first time this year, 3rd season in the comp for both. So I wouldn't assume all the new teams are guaranteed to meet in their inaugural seasons. I'd guess Port's practice match (on the weekend of 13th August) will be against either Hawthorn or Essendon, and then won't face that team in the H&A.

There's no chance GWS would get such a wildly more difficult fixture than, say, Richmond. It'll be done in thirds from last season: 1-6, 7-12, and bottom 2 + new 4. Likely 4 matches against teams in your third, 6 matches against teams from the other two groups (3 teams from each).

We play Essendon at Marvel that weekend. Maybe they’ll try and make a bit of a double header out of it that weekend?

We play Essendon at Marvel that weekend. Maybe they’ll try and make a bit of a double header out of it that weekend?
The chance to synergise resources (flights, staff, venue) might be a factor.

But it would be a shame if Essendon and Port Adelaide didn't play each other in the season proper (not saying it's a hard-and-fast rule about practice matches not being repeated in the H&A, just it's often been the case), much more so than if a Port v Hawthorn matchup didn't eventuate, going by teams on paper.

Away vs West Coast in R1 (27 Aug), first home game vs WB in R2. Showdown not until R6 , Friday 30 Sep at Adelaide Oval. As they did with the men's, it's not a standalone game :rage: We play all 3 other new teams.

Last edited:
Away vs West Coast in R1 (27 Aug), first home game vs WB in R2. Showdown not until R6 , Friday 30 Sep at Adelaide Oval. We play all 3 other new teams.

Happy to be able to see a bit of history with our first game but surely that should've been in Adelaide ...

(Log in to remove this ad.)

This is the best fixture I reckon I could imagine.

Gold Coast and West Coast have both lost players and are probably the two weakest non-new sides in the comp. Saints might also struggle. Then of course we have the three other new entrants.

Makes absolutely no sense why if you weren't bothering doing combinations of the 4 new teams playing against each other in Round 1, that you couldn't have all the new teams at home instead. Oh well, dumb fixturing is par for the course with the AFL, whether W or otherwise.

Looking forward to getting down there and seeing a few games

Makes absolutely no sense why if you weren't bothering doing combinations of the 4 new teams playing against each other in Round 1, that you couldn't have all the new teams at home instead. Oh well, dumb fixturing is par for the course with the AFL, whether W or otherwise.

Looking forward to getting down there and seeing a few games
Getting Wet Toast away is our best possible chance of having our first home game at 1-0. Adds to the hype if we can put on a great away performance to start the season.

10 game season. Spread against teams

3 games v original 8 teams............. 2 home + 1 away inc first showdown is our home game. Avoid Briz, Melb, Freo, Coll and GWS
4 games v 2nd/3rd expansion teams 1 home + 3 away - home game against North, the best of the expansion sides. No Rich or Gee
3 games v 4th expansion teams.... - 2 home + 1 away v Sydney is first of these Rd 4

Port Adelaide AFLW fixture

Round 1 - Away
Saturday 27 August
West Coast v Port Adelaide
Mineral Resources Park
1:10pm

Round 2 – Home
Saturday 3 September
Port Adelaide v Western Bulldogs
Alberton Oval
Time TBC

Round 3 – Away
Sunday 11 September
Carlton v Port Adelaide
IKON Park
12:10pm

Round 4 – Home
Saturday 17 September
Port Adelaide v Sydney
Alberton Oval
Time TBC

Round 5 – Away
Sunday 25 September
Gold Coast SUNS v Port Adelaide
Kombumerri Park (Broadbeach)

Round 6 – Home
Friday 30 September
Port Adelaide v Adelaide
Adelaide Oval
7:30pm

Round 7 – Away
Saturday 8 October
Hawthorn v Port Adelaide
SkyBus Stadium (Frankston)
7:10pm

Round 8 – Home
Saturday 15 October
Port Adelaide v North Melbourne Tasmanian Kangaroos
Alberton Oval
12:40pm

Round 9 – Away
Sunday 23 October
St Kilda v Port Adelaide
RSEA Park

Round 10 – Home
Friday 28 Oct – Sunday 30 October
Port Adelaide v Essendon
Alberton Oval
Time TBC

This is the best fixture I reckon I could imagine.

Gold Coast and West Coast have both lost players and are probably the two weakest non-new sides in the comp. Saints might also struggle. Then of course we have the three other new entrants.

Essendon's VFLW team just went undefeated premiers, so they look ready to hit the ground running. I think Hawthorn have either had a long running VFLW side, or links to strong breeding grounds. Not sure if Sydney had a team of their own previously, or started from scratch like us.

Rd's 1-4 they have a single Friday night game and Rd 1 starts with a Thursday night game

Rd 5 is Grand Final week.
2 Thursday night game first at Geelong v StK, next game 2 hours later Derby in Perth

4 Friday games, the day is a public holiday in Melbourne,
  • Western Bulldogs vs. Kangaroos Swinburne Centre Punt Road Oval - Wurundjeri 12.40pm AEST
  • Collingwood vs. Essendon AIA Centre - Wurundjeri 3.10pm AEST
  • Sydney vs. Hawthorn Swinburne Centre Punt Road Oval - Wurundjeri 5.10pm AEST *** Sydney forced to play home game in Melbourne
  • Carlton vs. Melbourne IKON Park - Wurundjeri 7.30pm AEST

1 Saturday game at Punt Rd before the GF
- Richmond vs. Brisbane Lions Swinburne Centre Punt Road Oval - Wurundjeri 11.10am AEST - TV probably drove this.

Then the after thoughts play on Sunday
  • Gold Coast SUNS vs. Port Adelaide Kombumerri Park - Yugambeh 1.10pm AEST
  • Adelaide Crows vs. GWS GIANTS Wigan Oval - Kaurna 2.40pm ACST

Rd's 6-9 have double header Friday night games

Rd 10 Fixture hasn't been set yet.

v3-fixture.jpg

Essendon's VFLW team just went undefeated premiers, so they look ready to hit the ground running. I think Hawthorn have either had a long running VFLW side, or links to strong breeding grounds. Not sure if Sydney had a team of their own previously, or started from scratch like us.
From everything I've heard about the ranking of the teams:

Essendon (ready to hit the ground running) >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Port/Hawks (bit more of a wildcard/mix) >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Sydney (trying to build an elite young group to come up together)

We should make the Top 8 with that draw:

• All other expansion teams
  • West Coast, Gold Coast and St Kilda all lowly opponents, and we recruited lots of Gold Coast’s players.
  • Western Bulldogs & Carlton have both lost key players.
  • Avoid strong opposition like Melbourne, Brisbane, Fremantle, Collingwood etc.

• West Coast, Gold Coast and St Kilda all lowly opponents, and we recruited lots of Gold Coast’s players.
Lets wait to see how good Port are and which of the strong teams have been hit hard by losing players to expansion sides before saying they should make finals.

As much as this would be awesome, I don't think we should be counting our chickens. We still have quite a few youngsters who will take time to develop and it will take time to drill in the gameplan and get them working together compared to those sides that have been in the comp a while.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back